Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications....?

I have done a lot of research about the complications of a revision (band to sleeve).... I have read plenty of articles of what "could" happen. Will someone please share with me the not so "glamorous" side of the revision surgery. I'm looking to hear from people who ACTUALLY had complications. Thank you :)

I am with you on this to.

Sure. I will share.

I went in on 2/21 to have band to sleeve revision. The surgery should have been 4 hours but because I had so much scar tissue, it was 5 1/2. I started drinking fluids and eating ice chips that night.

On Friday morning before I could go home, I needed to have a CT scan and a swallow study to check for any leaks. It turns out I had a leak in the staple line. They took me straight to a catheter lab where I had a central line put in. That same afternoon, I went back into surgery to have the leak repaired. I was in surgery for 5 hours.

On Sunday, I had another CT scan and everything looked ok. I was put on antibiotics and pain meds. On Monday at 6pm, I went home. About 830 that night, I started to have a lot of pain in my left flank. I waited until 2:00 am on Tuesday to call the on call doctor (hoping tbe pain would subside). She told me to go to the ER for another CT scan.

That CT scan showed I had Fluid around my spleen. They told me it should go away in a few days and prescribed me some more pain meds and told me to walk a lot.

By Thursday, 2/28, I was miserable. I went to my surgeons office in tears and they told me to go back to the ER for another CT scan. We drove 40 minutes back to the hospital. This CT scan showed I had an abscess under my spleen that needed to be drained. I was given 2 options - stay the night and they'll drain it now or come back in the morning. I opted to stay the night. That procedure was about 2 hours followed by 2 hours in ICU so I could be monitored. I stayed the night in the hospital and went home Friday morning.

The following week, my surgeon ordered another CT scan to make double check everything before I had the central line removed (they removed tve drain in the office). I went to the radiology clinic and waited 2 hours for them to tell me they didn't feel comfortable doing the scan when they didn't know what my surgeon wanted. My husband and I went back to the ER where I had my 5th CT scan. The results came back normal as did my white blood cell count (which I failed to mention was anywhere between 17-20 during this). They removed my central line and sent me on my way.

I am now 5 weeks post op and beginning to feel somewhat normal. I'm still not getting in all my fluids or Protein and I can't stomach my supplements. I'm doing the best I can and I know once I can eat more solid foods, I'll be even better. Right now I 100% regret my decision. I put my life at risk for the sake of losing a few pounds (not to mention the horrible quality of life). My marriage is on the rocks and I lost 4 weeks of time with my 10 month old.

I highly recommend anyone doing this to research every possibly thing that could go wrong and be prepared for the worst. Yes, I am alive. But there were days I wish I would have died and if it weren't for my son, I probably would have.

Oh my! I'm so glad to hear you are starting to feel better! Thank you so much for sharing! Keep me posted on how you are doing.

The most serious surgical risks for revisions are the same risks that anyone could have - although I am told we revisionistas have about twice the incidence of these problems.

1. Leak

2. Excess bleeding

If you read the complications forum you will hear many horror stories about leaks in particular. If you have a leak, it can be a real nightmare. Now, what i have also noticed is that many of the people who went through that eventually decided it was worth it, but it is sure a nightmare if it happens to you.

Most of us WON'T have those serious complications, but if you do, well, I guess the % don't matter do they.

For me, I felt it was a matter of life and death. I thought alot about those risks and decided that I was 100% sure to become disabled and die young from my obesity and could not address it without surgery so it was worth the risks.

I don't know actual numbers... but my gut feeling is that something like 2-5% of revisions have serious complications. Don't quote me on that.

I personally didn't get a revision, but one of my really good moms did. So I will tell you a bit about her.

She had her revision done in the middle of December, she got a leak and because of it she was put in the hospital on a feeding tube for 3 weeks. After that she got a little better for about a week then went back to discover another leak! She is doing good now though :) but she went through a lot of stuff.

I had a revision and had no complications.

Revision 1/31/13 by Dr Cabrera and Venezuela in MX

Type "complications" in the search bar and you'll find plenty of what youre looking for

Thank you. I appreciate everyone's advice. I can't believe my surgery is only 18 days away.

My revision was 3/5/13 and it was projected I would spend two nights in the hospital. I ended up staying 6 nights. Where the band had been around my stomach was still creating a tight ring near the top of the stomach. The result was even small sips of Water would "pool" in the very top of the stomach and create a very painful feeling before it would trickle through the rest of the stomach. I had 2 separate UGI's and both showed the contrast just sitting in a pool for minutes before it would actually start draining. I'm told it will just take extra time for the stomach to settle down from the band swelling. I can't tolerate much more than clear watered down liquids and Protein Powder mixes. Also came home with a jp drain to be removec in the office next week. I know the healing is slow especially because what that f*$%" band did to my body ( my surgeon told me he had to carefully separate my liver from the band because they were basically sguck togethed...yuck!) Anhone else have a similar experience?

Oh my! Well I hope you are feeling better. This band is just bad news. Less than two weeks left (4/25) for me. I'm very nervous and excited... If that's possible! Keep me posted and I hope everyday gets better for you!