Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating is more like a chore...

Anyone else having this issue after being sleeved??? I'm a month post op, and I have lost most of my desire to eat.

Nothing tastes amazing to me after its been chewed to mush... I still can't tell if I'm ever hungry, or my stomach is just digesting... And I always seem to eat one bite too much, leaving me in discomfort after almost every meal.

I do watch what I eat, I take small bites, chew until there is barely anything left, and eat slow...

I guess I didn't anticipate on losing the passion for food... I mean, I knew that the obsession would dwindle, but I don't even enjoy it.

Idk if this is a just a stage... Or something others experience... Idk... Maybe once I'm released to "all foods" I will have a different experience. Right now, I'm still on mushy foods. I pretty much can have everything except raw veggies, breads, pastas, nuts and berries. I'm only able to take in about 4 tsp of whatever I eat per sitting...

I think what you are experiencing is VERY normal. At a month out, most of us are in some level of ketosis. During this phase, your body secretes acetone, which is in your sweat and mouth ... gross ... I know. Been there, smelled that. So, the taste of food is a bit off, but once you are able to get your carbs up a bit, this will resolve. As far as eating being uncomfortable, it sounds like you are doing everything right, chewing to a mush, eating slower and smaller bites. My guess is that you are taking one bite too many. At this stage, your tummy cannot tell you when you are full. It will come, just not today ... so, if you have been taking in 4 tsp of food, move to 3 tsp. What I did was to put my utensil down in between bites and evaluate how I felt. Yes, some meals took me half an hour to eat those 4 bites, but it was what I needed. Just try stopping well before you have been and perhaps eat more often.

I am 9 weeks out and I still have the discomfort and vomiting.I do the chewing to nothing but it doesn't help. Its quite disheartening til I step on the scales. I'm hoping it will get better in time x

I second that emotion, unless I force myself to eat I won't. I can honestly say I haven't had this feeling in about 10 years.

I think what you are experiencing is VERY normal. At a month out' date=' most of us are in some level of ketosis. During this phase, your body secretes acetone, which is in your sweat and mouth ... gross ... I know. Been there, smelled that. So, the taste of food is a bit off, but once you are able to get your carbs up a bit, this will resolve. As far as eating being uncomfortable, it sounds like you are doing everything right, chewing to a mush, eating slower and smaller bites. My guess is that you are taking one bite too many. At this stage, your tummy cannot tell you when you are full. It will come, just not today ... so, if you have been taking in 4 tsp of food, move to 3 tsp. What I did was to put my utensil down in between bites and evaluate how I felt. Yes, some meals took me half an hour to eat those 4 bites, but it was what I needed. Just try stopping well before you have been and perhaps eat more often.[/sub']

Thanks for the encouraging words. :)

I am almost 4 weeks out and I still love food. "/

There's an ap called "eat slower" that I use to time My bites. I also use baby utensils to remind me to take smaller bites. I was taking one too many bite until today, I seem to have gotten that under control, taking my time and really evaluating my comfort level between every bite.

Sometimes I miss just scarfing down with abandon. But that's just stupid thinking. It's food, fuel, not fun.

Although I plan to have so much fun with pizza one day.

ME TOO!!!! I am one month out and I just HATE wene its time to eat...My stomach still hurts wene I eat and I still throw up sometimes. I to also hope one day it will not be so hard to eat and actually enjoy a meal...its so freaking frustrating and just have to live day to day...Keep your spirits up cause I know I have to remind myself every minute of the day that "That this too shall pass"...( I HOPE) Good Luck!!

I am almost 4 weeks out and I still love food. "/

There's an ap called "eat slower" that I use to time My bites. I also use baby utensils to remind me to take smaller bites. I was taking one too many bite until today' date=' I seem to have gotten that under control, taking my time and really evaluating my comfort level between every bite.

Sometimes I miss just scarfing down with abandon. But that's just stupid thinking. It's food, fuel, not fun.

Although I plan to have so much fun with pizza one day.[/quote']

I miss scarfing too! That sounds so lame!!! But it's true. I watch people around me eating and I get so frustrated. HOWEVER... When I see my clothes getting looser in my and my numbers on the scale dropping, I forget all about.... ;)

I agree that food has become for fuel and not for pleasure. It's sole purpose is being served.

I am 10 weeks post op and what your going though is completely normal at this stage. It will get better and you learn what all the sensations are that your new tummy is telling you. You are doing all the right things so just keep up what your doing.

i am 6 weeks out and I have the same issues. I could have written this post! I hope it goes away soon!!

ME TOO!!!! I am one month out and I just HATE wene its time to eat...My stomach still hurts wene I eat and I still throw up sometimes. I to also hope one day it will not be so hard to eat and actually enjoy a meal...its so freaking frustrating and just have to live day to day...Keep your spirits up cause I know I have to remind myself every minute of the day that "That this too shall pass"...( I HOPE) Good Luck!!

I second that! I hate eating because I Know I'm gonna feel like crap afterwards. I had less than one half of a filet of grilled tilapia and was so full, feeling bubbly in my stomach and hiccoughing. It took 30 min to eat it. BTW, I'm 5 weeks post-op.

I am out with my family right now and both my husband and I had the surgery do we split a smoked trout dish I had two bites and I am on the restroom. I feel like it is stuck and I want to throw up! I hope this passes soon! My husband does not have any issues which is even more grrrrr

I think it's super normal also, before I used to LOVE not just food but cooking also. I am just about 6 months out and still have to force myself to eat on a regular schedule. However I did just recently get my enjoyment of cooking back. I'm having a lot of fun learning how to adapt some of my fav foods to a new healthier versions. It took awhile but I am finally starting to feel pretty normal, I'm sure you will get into your new groove soon.

I think it's super normal also' date=' before I used to LOVE not just food but cooking also. I am just about 6 months out and still have to force myself to eat on a regular schedule. However I did just recently get my enjoyment of cooking back. I'm having a lot of fun learning how to adapt some of my fav foods to a new healthier versions. It took awhile but I am finally starting to feel pretty normal, I'm sure you will get into your new groove soon.[/quote']

I gained my love of cooking and baking my first week post op! I think because I wasn't able to eat, yet... I was able to take in all of the scents... Love it!

Well does anyone know when ill stop feeling hungry all fay everyday.. Not head hunger might i add