Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op and worried-feeling horrible.

Hello...this isnt all horrible but i am feeling quite unmotivated and painful today.

I am 5 days post op and I am feeling abdolutely dreadful. I find myself very worried that I will still be feeling this way on Monday (which is when I must return to work). My worst complaint right now is the stomach pressure (gas, I suppose)...it hurts soo much. I also feel like it may be pain from those lovenox shots that prevent blood clots. The worst parts of the day are the mornings and when Ive sat too long.

I am getting at least 60 grams of Protein a day in and quite a bit of liquid...so that isnt an issue. I also feel sometimes that heart is beating out of my chest (like after you get out of a long hot bath).

Everyone is saying that they feel better each day. At first I thought i was recovering pretty quickly..but now Im getting worried. I may be impatient...im just used to this much pain and i really need some support/advice from the other POST ops out there.

Thanks fo reading my post.

Im 6 days post op as well. Feeling amazing. Make sure you are walking a little bit each day to help with the gas. And go get some gas-x strips, Ive heard they help alot.

I only had gas the first day and have gotten progessively better each day. My only complaint is some soreness at my incisions. Keep up the good work, it DOES get better. Drink your fluids, get your Protein and keep your eye on the prize!!

Kimmie, are you able to take your heart rate and take your temperature? A rate higher than 100bpm and/or a temperature over 101 F could be signs of an infection and time to call your surgeon or go to the ER.

It gets better

Please call your surgeon. They need to know if you are having problems so they can help prevent bigger problems. I felt great after 3 days out. I was begging to go back to work but they made me take 3 weeks minimum so that I could get used to my new routine and maintain Water intake. This could be something simple and the surgeons see all kinds of symptoms with WLS patients. they will help you. Good luck to you and take care.

Hello...this isnt all horrible but i am feeling quite unmotivated and painful today.

I am 5 days post op and I am feeling abdolutely dreadful. I find myself very worried that I will still be feeling this way on Monday (which is when I must return to work). My worst complaint right now is the stomach pressure (gas' date=' I suppose)...it hurts soo much. I also feel like it may be pain from those lovenox shots that prevent blood clots. The worst parts of the day are the mornings and when Ive sat too long.

I am getting at least 60 grams of Protein a day in and quite a bit of liquid...so that isnt an issue. I also feel sometimes that heart is beating out of my chest (like after you get out of a long hot bath).

Everyone is saying that they feel better each day. At first I thought i was recovering pretty quickly..but now Im getting worried. I may be impatient...im just used to this much pain and i really need some support/advice from the other POST ops out there.

Thanks fo reading my post.[/quote']

Wow for me the first week did not involve any Protein and I have heard that from several people. The stomach needs some time to heal before it starts breaking down protein. Protein is the hardest thing for a stomach to break down and this early out of surgery may be why it is hurting. That is just an opinion and I am by far not a dr. Just personal exeroence. I can't imagine the first week taking in any protein

ok I am 8 days post-op. Came back to work 3 days ago. I was feeling good until that day (this past Monday) because I was sore and tired. BUT, get a gel ice pack and put it on the surgery area. Made all the difference in the world. Tuesday I was like a new person. Today is Wednesday and I'm going to a painting class with my friends after work. I've been to dinner with friends Monday and Tuesday nights eating Soup (broth). I can now have any soup but blended if it has big chunks or lumps. Follow my blog and I put in helpful hints as I come up with things.

I should've said I'm telling you that for incentive - everyday gets better and better!

I am 15 days post op. I returned to work after a week and I believe it was too soon for me. I've continued to have pain and nausea. In fact, I'm going in to see my doctor this afternoon. I just have this terrible pain on the left side where they removed the stomach. Even the pain medicine doesn't stop the pain. I know other people who haven't had so much pain and I think I've learned that everyone is different. If I had it to do over again, I'd take 2 full weeks off of work to recover. I do think i've pushed myself and maybe that has slowed down my recovery. Good luck and get plenty of rest!

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. Spoke with my doc and he said to drink way more fluids than ive been drinking and to walk a lot. I knew that but the pain meds have been making me very sleepy. I might get my drainage tube out tomorrow instead of friday. I feel that the tube is one thing holding me back a bit...i HATE it. Im getting bored out of my mind staying at home...mom is taking me to the mall today. Other than smelling lots of food, im pumped to get out.

I am having less and less pain where my stomach was removed...mostly horrible gas pain. Doc said the more i walk the better i feel. I have an office job so it shouldnt be a huge deal...i just dont want to be in pain the whole time and pop pain meds all day.

be sure and get a gel ice pak. no one told me to do that so I asked the doctor and they said yes, it was ok - made a HUGE difference. I have an office job too. took a pillow with me the first 2 days back.

be sure and get a gel ice pak. no one told me to do that so I asked the doctor and they said yes' date=' it was ok - made a HUGE difference. I have an office job too. took a pillow with me the first 2 days back.[/quote']

Thank you for the advice. I will certainly be doing that!!

Wow for me the first week did not involve any Protein and I have heard that from several people. The stomach needs some time to heal before it starts breaking down Protein. Protein is the hardest thing for a stomach to break down and this early out of surgery may be why it is hurting. That is just an opinion and I am by far not a dr. Just personal exeroence. I can't imagine the first week taking in any protein

Actually getting in protein as early on as you can after surgery is very important, according to my surgeon. He says that the biggest reason for hair loss later on is not getting enough protein the first 2 weeks. Protein is essential to the healing process. Also, protein shakes/powders are very bio-available, so your body does not need to do much to break it down (that's actually why Protein shakes are discouraged vs solid food protein sources later on, according to my medical team). My surgeon does encourage Fluid first and then protein during the first couple of weeks bc Fluid is so essential, but protein is important too. This is just my experience based on my surgeon's advice--everyone is different! But I wanted to share another perspective.

Actually getting in Protein as early on as you can after surgery is very important' date=' according to my surgeon. He says that the biggest reason for hair loss later on is not getting enough Protein the first 2 weeks. Protein is essential to the healing process. Also, protein shakes/powders are very bio-available, so your body does not need to do much to break it down (that's actually why protein shakes are discouraged vs solid food protein sources later on, according to my medical team). My surgeon does encourage Fluid first and then protein during the first couple of weeks bc Fluid is so essential, but protein is important too. This is just my experience based on my surgeon's advice--everyone is different! But I wanted to share another perspective.[/quote']

Thats absolutely right.

Actually getting in Protein as early on as you can after surgery is very important' date=' according to my surgeon. He says that the biggest reason for hair loss later on is not getting enough Protein the first 2 weeks. Protein is essential to the healing process. Also, protein shakes/powders are very bio-available, so your body does not need to do much to break it down (that's actually why protein shakes are discouraged vs solid food protein sources later on, according to my medical team). My surgeon does encourage Fluid first and then protein during the first couple of weeks bc Fluid is so essential, but protein is important too. This is just my experience based on my surgeon's advice--everyone is different! But I wanted to share another perspective.[/quote']

And that's why we are all here to share our experiences... And why I said I was no doctor. So please state your opinion and medical knowledge on your own not on the tale of what I wrote. :-)