Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering if surgery is right for me

I have tried diets and exercise but I only lose a little bit but usually just maintain my weight. I once got checked to see if everything was ok with my body and it is. Surgery just makes you eat less so I'm wonderIng if it will help even though I have tried eating less. I am reading that a lot of people diet lose lots of weight Then gain it back I myself haven't been able to lose more then 10 pounds. I know surgery would give me great motivation.

It is a decision I'm sure all of us have battled with. For me, I was sick of the yo-yo effect. I would lose 40 gain 50.. This wasn't always the issue for me though. I was 185 My Jr. year of HS, then my senior year, having a car, working at a fast food place, I ballooned up to 230.. I went back down to 200 and stayed there for about 5-6 years.. not trying or anything.. It just maintained.

Then I hit my 30's and it seemed like I slowly got bigger and bigger each year. I topped out at 326.. I knew I needed to make a change or it was going to continue.

I think you have to figure out where your "bottom" is. Do you think you can do it without the tool of surgery, or is this something that you may need to get you back into a healthy direction. None of us can say for sure that it is the right choice for you.. I can say that it was for me, and it's already working less then a week out.

I know it would motivate me but most of you have lost weight with diet and exercise I have not so I'm wondering if surgery will help me lose weight

well it for sure will help you lose the weight, but it will be up to you to keep it off. It is a major lifestyle change and difficult process to go through. That being said, I am very happy i got sleeved. I would recommend making an appointment with a surgeon who does WLS and discuss it with them. They will be able to talk to you more about if you are even a candidate for the surgery . Ultimatly though, it's your choice. Good luck!!

I have asked the same question many times from this forum and from doctors. I like you, never lose weight. The only answers I get are from yo yo dieters. It is so frightening to consider a drastic surgery and have the same results as all the other things we have tried.

I have asked the same question many times from this forum and from doctors. I like you, never lose weight. The only answers I get are from yo yo dieters. It is so frightening to consider a drastic surgery and have the same results as all the other things we have tried.

are you going to go through with the surgery? Makes me feel Bette r that I'm not the only one

I was on and off a diet for 30 years. I lost 50 lbs three different times. 20 lbs - 30 lbs, more times than I can count. I did WW, took pills, saw a nutritionist, Medifast and the last time I took pills, it cost me over $500 to have my heart checked out. Thank the Good Lord I was fine, but after my Fen/Phen scare, I swore I'd never take another pill again. I never did.

Of course, I'd always gain whatever I lost, back, plus a little. When I made THE decision, I was struggling to maintain 228 lbs. I hated it and again, I was trying to accept the weight I was at, which hurt me all along. I accepted 165, 175, 185. At least I was under 200 lbs. Then I woke up and it seemed like overnight I was AT 200.....it went downhill from there.

This is by far the best decision I've ever made for myself personally. I love it, I haven't had a single minute of buyer's remorse. I've been thrilled and excited beyond belief from the moment I woke up in recovery. If you do this, enjoy every single minute, every change......it's a wild ride and well worth it!!! I love my new life, the new me. :) I hope this helps, a little!!

I have tried diets and exercise but I only lose a little bit but usually just maintain my weight. I once got checked to see if everything was ok with my body and it is. Surgery just makes you eat less so I'm wonderIng if it will help even though I have tried eating less. I am reading that a lot of people diet lose lots of weight Then gain it back I myself haven't been able to lose more then 10 pounds. I know surgery would give me great motivation.

My biggest fear was that this would not work for me and I still fear that. Even with major weight loss in the past, I have never been under 200 lbs as an adult. So I hold my breath as the lbs come off to see if my body is just going to stop soon. It is a big decision and like everyone I dieted and lost 10 or 15 lbs but I was starving and miserable. So far I've lost a fair amount of weight and while it hasn't been easy, I never lost this fast on ANY diet plus (head hung low) I am not exercising. I did hit bottom last summer and when I did, I made up my mind. Yes, I had doubts and fears and still do but I knew I had to make a major change if I wanted to see major results. Good luck in whatever you decide. Keep posting, we are here for you whatever you decide.

My biggest fear was that this would not work for me and I still fear that. Even with major weight loss in the past, I have never been under 200 lbs as an adult. So I hold my breath as the lbs come off to see if my body is just going to stop soon. It is a big decision and like everyone I dieted and lost 10 or 15 lbs but I was starving and miserable. So far I've lost a fair amount of weight and while it hasn't been easy, I never lost this fast on ANY diet plus (head hung low) I am not exercising. I did hit bottom last summer and when I did, I made up my mind. Yes, I had doubts and fears and still do but I knew I had to make a major change if I wanted to see major results. Good luck in whatever you decide. Keep posting, we are here for you whatever you decide.

I'm hangin' my head too. I have NEVER exercised, not really, since surgery. I decided early on.....I wanted to make life changes. I know ME, I know I am LAZY and I know I have the attention span of a four year old. I did NOT want to lose weight in part with exercise because I was gung ho.....lose it, get bored and quit, only to regain part of my weight. I reached goal in just under five months, * doctor's goal * and my goal, five lbs less, a month later. 1200 calories keeps me where I need to be, it's been easy and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I make choices and not having 'real' hunger, it is much easier to make WISE choices most of the time. I weigh every single day and if I'm up 2 or 3 lbs (and yes, I swear, it CAN happen over night!!), I adjust and it comes right off. Some times it's Water, some times it is Pasta or Mexican food. Weight gain can happen so fast, but keeping track, keeps it easy. If I were to weigh once a week or once every two weeks....or YIKES, once a month...and were to be up 8 or 10 lbs, that would not be as easy to handle. I know how fast it can happen!!! Anyway....hardly any bread, seldom any at home, I nibble, some times more than I should, at restaurants. No chips, almost never. Sooooo, you are NOT alone. I too confess!!! :)

Most of us fail because we cannot sustain the calorie deficit on our own.. This surgery helps us with this.. I can create a calorie deficit without surgery, but after the weight starts comming off, my body is like "WHAT IS THIS???I'm losing my precious fat.. QUICK, release the hounds of hunger" and then I'm so powerfully hungry I just cannot force myself to eat at that calorie deficit anymore..

With this surgery it helps with that. Now I'll be able to stick with a calorie deficit long enough to lose and maintain my weight. Sure exercise is an important part of that. I also track my calories so that I know for certain that I'm creating a calorie deficit, but for me the whole purpose of this surgery is to make it so that I can COMFORTABLY eat less.

It is a very personal decision. It is not a cure all or a quick fix. As many have stated it is a lifestyle change you have to embrace to be successful. The surgery is a tool, it's helped me maintain a low calorie diet and not be hungry. I'm physically satisfied with much smaller portions, but I still need to make the right decisions. Some weeks I lose more than others but I try to focus on the big picture.

You'll read a lot of success stories and some not so successful. How you make out is primarily up to you. You can only do your best and follow what your doctor lays out for you.

If you are committed to a lifestyle change than you are certainly on the right track.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide. You can do this!!

Thanks all, I just feel odd because I was never a yoyo dieter.