Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwing the scale out the window!

So I am 6 weeks post opand everymonday I get on the scale for an offical weigh in ( weigh myself during the week also but only record on mondays). Well the pass week I started exercising i exercised 6 out of 7 days eat about the same I have been eating. Early in the week i had a visit from my unwelcomed friend but was over in three days. However, I stepped on the scale and GAINED 7 lbs!!!!!!!!!! HOW IN THE F DID I GAIN WEIGHT!!!!! uggggg I am so fustruated.

I would assume that this is Water weight! If you had your period this week It is certainly possible. There is not a chance you gained fat weight at 6 weeks post op, let alone 7 pounds. Don't fret, drink extra fluids for a few days and re-weigh. I think you will be back to where you were. You have been using the same scale? weighing the a.m. in the same clothes?? Is the battery up to par too??

Sounds like Water weight to me.

I had the same thing happen to me and the next week I lost 4 pounds.

Do it! Throw the scale out the window, you'll thank yourself =p Our bodies do strange things - sometimes they hold Water, sometimes they don't hold Water and just want to be a pain in the butt. You will lose this plus some and the more you look at the scale the more you're gonna drive yourself crazy - I know because I did the same thing. Maybe skip a week or two of weighing and just focus on how you feel?

You'll get there, it will come off, hang in there!

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Some people don't have this issue the whole way thru their weight loss which must be awesome!! I am further out than you, at 7 months post op, but just this past month I lost 1-3 lbs total, it kept going back and forth on the scale all month. I was about to do what you mentioned, throw the scale out the window, since I should know better by now with the few stalls I've had. But, I also measure myself every 2 weeks, and I lost 6 inches total this past month.

So, please measure yourself once or twice a month, I'll bet you are losing inches if not pounds, AND yes, Water weight is definitely a factor in not losing or gaining a few pounds here and there. I understand your frustration, but just keep on doing what you're doing, eating right and exercising and it WILL all work out and cooperate for you!! I have to keep telling myself that too, trust me.

Good luck and don't throw the scale, maybe just 'hide' it for a little? And, let the tape measure be your friend :-)

Karen

So I am 6 weeks post opand everymonday I get on the scale for an offical weigh in ( weigh myself during the week also but only record on mondays). Well the pass week I started exercising i exercised 6 out of 7 days eat about the same I have been eating. Early in the week i had a visit from my unwelcomed friend but was over in three days. However, I stepped on the scale and GAINED 7 lbs!!!!!!!!!! HOW IN THE F DID I GAIN WEIGHT!!!!! uggggg I am so fustruated.

Wait!!!! Don't throw the scale out!!!! Continue to get on it every day so you KNOW where you're at!!! No matter what my mama said, 'Ignorance is NOT bliss!!!!' You will go up and down....but if you are logging your food and if you will weigh and measure your food.....you will know if you're doing what you want to be doing. If you are, then you'll see the scale to start back the other way, I promise! I'd go up and down for a week, and one time 10 days, before it went down and stayed down. Then on to the next lb or two!!! I am almost three yrs out and I still log my food and weigh and measure my food. It's my life, it's habit and to me, it's fun. I am obsessive about knowing my caloric intake, even at three years out!! I know that if I go over 1200 calories for a few days, I'm going to see the scale go up two or three lbs. Don't worry, you'll be fine!!! Are you logging and weighing/measuring your food? You're early out, so did you just start adding regular food in?

weighing daily is massivly unhelpful unless you are a CHF patient monitoring Fluid accumulation or something along those lines. People that weigh too often tend to get way to wrapped up in the details vs the big picture.

Personally, I weigh in twice a week, but even once a week would probably be better but I like progress updates.

Something everyone here needs to understand that a true gain of 7 pounds is approximately 24,500 extra calories. Did you eat 24,500 extra calories? Highly doubt it. Don't get caught up in this, it leads town a dark path of disordered thinking and disordered eating.

You are seeing a Fluid shift, and probably nothing more. Drink more Water and watch your salt. This will pass.

weighing daily is massivly unhelpful unless you are a CHF patient monitoring Fluid accumulation or something along those lines. People that weigh too often tend to get way to wrapped up in the details vs the big picture.

Personally, I weigh in twice a week, but even once a week would probably be better but I like progress updates.

Something everyone here needs to understand that a true gain of 7 pounds is approximately 24,500 extra calories. Did you eat 24,500 extra calories? Highly doubt it. Don't get caught up in this, it leads town a dark path of disordered thinking and disordered eating.

You are seeing a Fluid shift, and probably nothing more. Drink more Water and watch your salt. This will pass.

I don't agree that weighing every day is "massively unhelpful" to every one. For me, it helps to keep my focused. I don't believe there is a direct correlation between daily weights and inability to see the big picture. I think we are all individuals, and for some people, daily weights may not be the way to go. For others, it is quite helpful, as it provides information that helps contribute to the big picture. Kortolano - hang in there. It is frustrating to see the scale go up, but it's only Water and it will be gone before you know it. Then you can enjoy the huge loss :) You are still pretty new and will learn how your body is going to behave with your new life style. Good luck!

I don't agree that weighing every day is "massively unhelpful" to every one. For me, it helps to keep my focused. I don't believe there is a direct correlation between daily weights and inability to see the big picture. I think we are all individuals, and for some people, daily weights may not be the way to go. For others, it is quite helpful, as it provides information that helps contribute to the big picture. Kortolano - hang in there. It is frustrating to see the scale go up, but it's only Water and it will be gone before you know it. Then you can enjoy the huge loss :) You are still pretty new and will learn how your body is going to behave with your new life style. Good luck!

Thats true I guess, I was being to general I suppose.

I agree with you. It is VERY helpful to me and for me, it works. Like you, it keeps me focused. Going up a little has never depressed me or any of the things others talk about. I don't ever want to take this for granted, I am below Dr. D's goal and so far, it's been easy for me. For ME, it would be overwhelming if I got on the scale once every two week or once a month and had gained 10 lbs. I know how quickly ten lbs can appear out of nowhere, or so it seems!!! I can eat a piece and a half of pizza and the next morning I am up 3.5 lbs and my wedding ring won't fit. That cheese is so darn salty! I admit, I'm obsessive and love my sleeve. All of this weighing and measuring.....and yes, weighing, it's part of my life. My new life, where I AM IN CONTROL, food is not. :) I am glad to know I'm not the only one.....and without hesitation, I highly recommend weighing every morning.

I agree with you. It is VERY helpful to me and for me, it works. Like you, it keeps me focused. Going up a little has never depressed me or any of the things others talk about. I don't ever want to take this for granted, I am below Dr. D's goal and so far, it's been easy for me. For ME, it would be overwhelming if I got on the scale once every two week or once a month and had gained 10 lbs. I know how quickly ten lbs can appear out of nowhere, or so it seems!!! I can eat a piece and a half of pizza and the next morning I am up 3.5 lbs and my wedding ring won't fit. That cheese is so darn salty! I admit, I'm obsessive and love my sleeve. All of this weighing and measuring.....and yes, weighing, it's part of my life. My new life, where I AM IN CONTROL, food is not. :) I am glad to know I'm not the only one.....and without hesitation, I highly recommend weighing every morning.

I was being to general, what I should have said was that its unhelpful in terms of really helpful information. If it's a motivating factor then that is totally different. salt has such a huge effect one way or another on the scale for so many women that it scews things. Just because you had something salty doesnt mean you actually gained weight, but thats what it will look like.

I was being to general, what I should have said was that its unhelpful in terms of really helpful information. If it's a motivating factor then that is totally different. salt has such a huge effect one way or another on the scale for so many women that it scews things. Just because you had something salty doesnt mean you actually gained weight, but thats what it will look like.

Absolutely, it is all Water retention. I'm lucky, I've always done this and I always have a prescription for a low dose Water pill. I don't have to take one very often, but pizza gets me every time, Mexican food....occasionally!! I can tell I'm "swollen" before I get out of bed because my fingers feel 'fat'. LOL I take a pill and before noon, I'm back to normal.

One week anniversary and still 6ibs over surgery weight. It doesn't seem possible.

At one week out, you are still in the beginning stages of healing. The new little tummy/sleeve will not be totally healed and 'relax' for about six months.....I think that is what I was told. This was major trauma you sustained!!! You're swollen and my guess is you are still retaining Water. When I was discharged, I weighed a couple of lbs more than the day of surgery and at my one week visit, I had lost that couple of lbs. At my two week visit I had actually LOST two lbs. :) It will happen, there is no choice. 85% was removed, forced portion control!!