Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I'm Bobbie-Katie and I'm in the process of gastric sleeve, how to start this? haha well..

When I was 10 (2004), I had a car accident and had to have hip surgery that made me bed bound for a few weeks. My hip never healed and since then I have had countless hospital appointments/bed rest and operations. That was when I started gaining weight, I got lazy, being on bed rest just made me bored so I always turned to food and I guess I just used the fact I could hardly walk as an excuse. In 2006 I was 12 and at 13 stone and I was down, unhappy, insecure, hated going out so I decided it was time to do something. I went on a diet, I started bike riding for the first time after the op, I started swimming (what failed after a few attempts due to humiliation of other kids making cruel remarks) I was doing a lot more excersize and lost some weight, In that year I had to have another operation on my hip and it crumbled my bone which then I was layed up for a few weeks. 2 years later and nothing had improved, it got worse. I went to my dr and got refered to a dietition and I went through with that and it didn't help. I got referred to a weight camp (Carnegie Internation Camp) for 4 weeks. I lost 1st 4lbs on the first 2 weeks and the last 2 weeks, I sprained my ankles so I didn't loose much at all! But I was still proud of myself. When I come home, I stuck to it but I went on a rebound and gained weight again. 4years later and at 18 years old, I have tried everything I can. I have tried more dietitions, cutting back, Atkins diet, slim fast, weight watchers, lighter life, but nothing seems to help. I had countless tests done to see if it's anything specific but the doctors see nothing. Now I have been looking into surgery for roughly 8 years, I have done my research, added up the pro's and con's, I have a whole 2 folders full of information. For 2 years I have been going through the stages of having the gastric sleeve done, it takes longer as I was down as an adolescence but now I am on the adult list and all I am waiting for it a meeting with the surgeons in two weeks for my yes or no.

I know some people will be wary about me having this done as I am only 18 1/2 but I know what I'm doing and what I need to do. I haven't chosen the easy route as this is a challenge in itself but I have chosen a route that I feel is best for me. I'm on here to talk to people going through the same thing and for advice and more information as I would like to know everything there is. I have been severly obsese for years and this isn't an over night decicion & all my family are supportive :) Thank you for reading this :)

I too am young (20) and have been obese most of my life. It started for me with a medication at 10 they didn't take me off till 12 and by then I had a huge appetite and horrible habits. I wasn't really overweight till I hit 13 by 15 is when I started to notice I was being made fun of cause I was over weight and started doing sports and stuff, still didn't lose much. At 17 I started to show health problems and at 18 I was put on insulin meds and that is when I started diet and excise only able to maintain my weight. The last little fitness binge I went on I only lost a few pounds then maintained me weight again and that was last year. I have lost all hope and motivation and I'm hoping surgery will give me that boost I need. :) I started researching when I was 17, went to a seminar with my grandma because she was thinking about it

I think you are so brave for taking such a big step so young in life! I'm 21 and just got sleeved 6 weeks ago. I've been fat my entire life and a major injury at age 12 put me in similar shoes you're in. Only you know what you need and what's right for you. One of the most common regrets I've seen is "I wish I had had WLS sooner". You won't have to worry about that. You're taking control NOW. good for you :D

@Ashlie Marie; I can relate with what you said, it is hard and I found this surgery as my last resort. How's it all going for you? Are you under the hospital for the operation? I hope you get what you want, you deserve it! :)

@fatrosie: Thank you so much! I was so nervous to post on here because I've had comment before where people are like "You're eighteen, you don't know what you want" but that really isn't true. How did your operation go? :)

You will continue to get comments like that. I get them all of the time. Gotta let them roll off of your shoulders (easier said than done though).

My operation went swimmingly! Smooth and no complications as of yet. Do you have a surgery date?

Also, my surgeon and my orthopedic surgeon keep highlighting the fact that I'm going to have wayyyyy less issues with loose skin because of my age. Same goes for you!

@Ashlie Marie; I can relate with what you said, it is hard and I found this surgery as my last resort. How's it all going for you? Are you under the hospital for the operation? I hope you get what you want, you deserve it! :)

I have not started yet. I had to switch doctors so I'm hoping to see my new doctor on the 11th of April if not then on the 25th. I really didn't start thinking about wls again until I was told it was time a physical and made me start thinking about my health. Do let me know if you get approved or not! I should be approved since my BMI is over 40 but my insurance is a pain and I have to do 6 months of dieting and lose weight to shrink the liver in those 6 months..I get that it's for the surgery but you would think if I could lose weight easy I wouldn't be turning to surgery so I'm worried about that.

I wish I had known about this surgery when I was 20, oh wait, was it even around then?? LOL As a child, I fought weight issues. I finally went to a gym for a couple months when I was 15 and list the 40 pounds I was over. I was 120 pounds from then until I got pregnant (my whole family is obese, so it was in the genes). I gained 100 pounds during my pregnancy and it hadn't stopped since then. Don't listen to the older people that make comments about your age and this surgery. You have to do what is best for your health, and losing weight isn't always the easiest thing to do, especially with all the bad food temptations that are out there now days. You are very lucky that there are options out there to help you when you really need it. Good luck!

You will continue to get comments like that. I get them all of the time. Gotta let them roll off of your shoulders (easier said than done though).

My operation went swimmingly! Smooth and no complications as of yet. Do you have a surgery date?

Also, my surgeon and my orthopedic surgeon keep highlighting the fact that I'm going to have wayyyyy less issues with loose skin because of my age. Same goes for you!

Yeah I am prepared for all the comments, It's no different from what I've had aha.

Ah that's great, good to hear! I don't as of yet, I should find out next week so all this week I'm just doing my research and making sure I know as much as I think I know lol.

Oh really? All that I keep getting told is how hard it is to lose the loose skin but that's great to know! Thank you :)

Thank you! I'm so glad everyone here is understanding about the age and everything, I really shouldn't care what negitive comments people may have but I just do. It's great to talk to people in the same position :)

I have not started yet. I had to switch doctors so I'm hoping to see my new doctor on the 11th of April if not then on the 25th. I really didn't start thinking about wls again until I was told it was time a physical and made me start thinking about my health. Do let me know if you get approved or not! I should be approved since my BMI is over 40 but my insurance is a pain and I have to do 6 months of dieting and lose weight to shrink the liver in those 6 months..I get that it's for the surgery but you would think if I could lose weight easy I wouldn't be turning to surgery so I'm worried about that.

Oh that's a nightmare, I've switched doctors 5+ times now and I got no where but now I've finally found a doctor who know's what he's talking about lol. Oh good luck, I hope that all goes well for you! I found out yesterday that I've been accepted for the funding! :D and now it's down to the surgeon's so I will let you know when I see them next week :unsure: Never been so nervous in my whole life. My fingers are crossed for you and I'm so glad you've pointed that out! That confused me so much when I got told that, They told me to keep my weight stable for 6 months (which is just about done) and then I have to go on a 6 week liquid diet to shrink the liver but the weight doesn't stay off -.- But maybe the liquid diet will work? I don't know, I reckon it'll be a challenge lol

Thank you! I'm so glad everyone here is understanding about the age and everything' date=' I really shouldn't care what negitive comments people may have but I just do. It's great to talk to people in the same position :)[/quote']

You might get one or two questions regarding your age here, but I think mostly it will be very supportive. You sound like you approached this decision thoughtfully and maturely, and I don't get the impression that you have unrealistic expectations of miraculously dropping 100% of the excess weight in three months with no effort on your part, or that you can immediately resume all the bad eating habits and never gain it back. That sounds adult enough for this decision to me!

I envy the recuperative abilities you'll likely have with youth on your side, I must say.

At any rate, good luck to you as you move forward with this!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

I dont think age has anything to do with it, my surgeon has done teens. Hes done whole familes.

My son is 19. He started the bariatric surgery program with me in May, 2012. I weighed 450 at the time. He weighed more. I've had better success with the program - I lost the required weight and all the program reqirements by last November, and was sleeved on my 50th birthday, February 12. I'd lost 60 lbs pre-surgery, and have lost 31 more in the 6 weeks since then.

My son has completed all of the requirements except the weight loss. As of his last appointment, he still had about 13 lbs to go. I've tried to encourage him every way I can think of, but I can't seem to get him to try some of the strategies that I know can help. I've suggested he come to this site, but no go.

I hope he can reach his pre-surgery goal and get sleeved right after school gets out for the summer, so he can really get on the path to changing his life.