Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I am new here and had my surgery on 3/20. I did read a few things on the site while doing some searching for answers over the past year. I'm going to give some details into my progress so far.

So, I am a male 37 years old, peak weight of 326lbs before pre-op diet.

Pre-op diet.

I did cheat more then I should have. First night I had 2 PB&J sandwiches.. Then a week before the surgery I had a dinner out with my grandfather (we would go out every wednesday) Then the friday after that I had a sub sandich. And finally the sunday before (3 days before surgery) I had 2 hotdogs.

I know this was wrong, but I did still lose 15 pounds. I really struggled with the diet and hated every minute of it.

I am also a smoker. I didn't stop smoking and my doctor was aware of this. I smoked about a pack a day or more. I am 2 days post op, and really haven't amped up the way I was. I have maybe 5 or so ciggs a day right now. I probably will quit though as the cravings right now are very low.

Post op

I had to be in for my appt at 10am. When we arrived, I met with everyone, but honestly, I don't have much memory of this.. I went to bed at 10pm the night before, and woke up at about 1am and didn't go back to sleep. The surgery took 3 hours and a couple hours in post op recovery. I was taken to my room and was in severy pain. I was also "tachy" meaning my heart beat was very high. I was also told I have sleep apnea. The machine that monitors heart beat and oxegen levels would go off every 10 minutes or so. It really made it so I could get very little sleep. I also ran a 101-102 fever. which I didn't understand really. I guess I didn't expect that.

I was extremely doped up.. It wasn't a fun patient I am sure. My wife said I was quite comedic at times. All in all I had a great staff, and they where kind. even though I would accidently hit the nurse call button with my elbow all the time. I have very foggy memory of the entire thing. I according to my wife decided that it was time to go home, and was tired of waiting for the nurse to remove my IV so I took it out myself. I am a little confused as to how any of that went down as I was not in my mind. BTW, I usually enjoy pain meds when I need them.. This Delodin is not one of them. I did not feel like I was in my own head most of the time. I do not like it at all. I stopped dosing it the next morning.

I was released the next day, and went home and pretty much have slept much of the time. I feel like I need to fart but i can't either because there is nothing there, or it just hurts too much to push it out. I am burping up a lot.

The pain is pretty strong. I was given liquid vicodin for it. I've taken just 3 doses today. I am in a strruggle right now with trying to drink enough and get the "food" in. My wife is a saint and is on top of getting the calories and protien in me. We have one ounce medical cups the doc gave me and today I have had 2 and 1/3 bottles of Water (poland spring 16oz) 3 oz of chicken broth (romen Soup, she strained some of the broth out for me and she ate the rest) and 6 oz of carnation instant Breakfast.< /p>

I am struggling with the intake. I have been sing 2% milk with the carnation, and then my wife waters it down. I am going to switch to fat free because I feel like it is too sweet and creamy. The pain is intense, and I find it hard to walk strait up, and I am holding my belly when I walk. I know it will improve over time. I will get there.

Sometimes after surgery people become lactose you might want to try cutting out the dairy. But a few months from now you'll be happier and all the struggles for the first few weeks will be a distant memory. I hardly remember the hospital at all. Good luck!

One of the most important things to remember is staying hydrated. I wasn't able to get all the Protein in although I tried. I listened to my body, if my body said Water, I give it that. G2 gatorade was/is my lifesaver. I agree that you could be lactose intolerant. I'd stay away from it and see what happens. Are you on a daily antacid? Also, are you adding Gas X?

Thanks i'm three months away from getting done just good to hear what i'm in for thanks agin

It gets easier. Hang in there. Drink and eat what you can and just concentrate on recovering. Weird, I had a fever in the hospital too. I wondered about that one as well. I was afraid of infection, but it went away. Walking helps with that farting thing. Walking gets that air moving. Good luck!

My wife is going to go to the store tomorrow and get me some things to drink. I really like Oceanspray no sugar added cranberry / grape or raspberry. She's also going to pick up some ice pops.

Now, my doctor told me not to worry about sugar free stuff for the first stage. Also, something that kind of surprising was he said he only left 10% of my stomach.

I'm not really having any trouble with the milk, it's just the consistency that is kind of turning me off.. pre-surgery I loved it that way. I will try to avoid it though if that seems to be an issue. I wasn't told anything about the gasx. I guess I should look into that too.

Thanks for all of your comments. It really helps having people who know what I am going through.

Today was so much better. The pain is not too bad except the far left incision. That is the only thing that is really hurting me. Gas is still a bit of an issue, but over all it's really not that bad. I haven't taken any pain meds. I will probably take a dose before bed just to help me sleep.

I did much better with the Water and Protein today. I've had 3 bottles of Water, 8 oz of cran-grape juice and 16oz of carnation instant breakfast (sugar free)

I have learned to keep a water on my night stand now.. So when I wake in the night I take a couple of sips. I really worry about hydration. That is my #1 thing right now. I try my best to get as much other stuff into my body as I can, but water first.. I don't know if that's good or not, but it's what I am comfortable with right now.

Tomorrow my wife and I are going to take a walk around the block to try and work out some more of this gas. Pacing from the kitchen through the dining room, living room and down the hallway to the bedroom just isn't enough for me to get enough out I guess.

The farts are coming out easier now too. Still now Bowel movement though. My mother is a nurse and has helped me a lot with strange questions I might have.

I am really excited about my appointment on Thursday. I really want to remove these sticker things and lounge in a warm tub. (I almost never take a bath, but it's something I have been craving for some reason)

I also want to say to anyone thinking about this surgery that it is worth it. I had minor complications, but nothing that I didn't get through. When I went in for surgery (this was my first ever) I had a horrible feeling that I might not make it through it. I did, and so will you.

Is there pain? yes.. you just had your stomach cut out and pulled through a small hole in your belly.. It's not going to be pain free, but I look at it as a reminder that I went through this pain to make sure that I will be around to Celebrate many anniversaries with my wife and not eat myself to an early grave.

My father, and both his parents had issues with health. My grandmother was obese, had high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart issues.. She didn't make it out of her 50's. My grandfather died of heart issues in his 50's. My father has diabetes, high blood pressure, has had numerous stents implanted, and a quadruple bypass. He hasn't changed at all even after the bypass and sadly, I doubt he will be around another decade, if that.

I was told by my general practitioner that I was showing signs of being borderline "pre" diabetic luckily my blood pressure was always fairly ok, and usually normal. I saw the warning signs and knew I had to do something now before I was the next one on the table having some guy pulling veins out of my legs and putting then onto my heart.

I realize that it is still possible that this could be my fate, but this is my first step towards averting the family curse.

OMG.. First poop! It was awesome. lol I feel so much better after that.

Congratulations !!!

Yay! Lol! It's the little things huh?

Yay! Lol! It's the little things huh?

Yes it is!! It's a happy day for me when it happens, even at four months!

How's it look?

I means it feel?

How's it look?

Gross!! Lol!!

Yea, I'll spare the verbal painting on how it looked, but wow.. I feel 100 times better. I think the gas is starting to subside a bit too. Still get grumbled in my stomach which are hard to ID as gas or hunger. That, I can deal with.

I'm a little worried about my Protein intake. I wasn't given an amount to get in. Yesterday I did get in 2 sugar free carnation instant breakfasts. One is not a lot of Protein.< /p>

Today so far I have had 1 carnation, 4oz V8, 8oz Apple juice (no sugar) 8oz Gatorade, 1 bottle of Water (working on the second one now) Thinking about maybe trying some sort of "liquid" Soup tomorrow.

Should I just wait until my appointment on Thursday, or should I actively look for ways to add protein now?