Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 year ago today my band was removed due to erosion

That is so encouraging to hear!

My band will more than likely have to be removed after my baby is born in Oct, due to infection. I'm terrified that my weight will sky rocket as soon as it's removed. Thank you for being an inspiration!

How does your band erod????????????????

Is it something your dr. Did ? Is there something we can do or not do? I am so suprised no one asked these questions . Sorry if i am asking too much or being nosiy just worried. Congrats on your secuess

I am happy to say that after one year of being bandless I have maintained my 100+ lb weight loss.

Congratulations!!! You are an inspiration to all of us. We are more than just our bands and am so proud of you for maintaining your success. I wish you nothing but continued success for this next year and on into the future.

I just found out I have erosion, and I have to have my band removed soon, I am scheduled for June 15th. I really don't want to have it removed. I am so scared that I will gain all my weight back. Ihave had my band for almost 3 years. I have lost 74 lbs. I have been so happy with my weight loss and my looks and health since looseing the weight. Now I am so very scared. I am scared to have the surgery as it is harder to get it removed than getting it put in. I don't know why I have erosion, my Dr was very vag about anything he told me about having an erosion. He really didn't tell me much, and nothing about why it happened.

What are you doing to keep your weight off? How was the surgery getting it removed?

I was banded about 8 mos ago and had to have it removed a few days ago since my body rejected the foreign object . I thought I was doing fine as it was necessary to do, but suddenly a day later I'm so upset. It was nice to find your posting on here which offers some encouragement. Good Luck as you continue, I hope I can learn your attitude towards it

Thanks again for sharing

La Madam, you have always been such an inspiration. And continue to be. I haven't been on line much in the past few years but peek in periodically. I was stressing this morning because I had bad reflux last night and am going back to the US in 16 days and didn't want to spend my time there doctoring. But you have maintained and done so well. I just hope that if I lose my band I will stay as motivated. In fact, I am going to get up an run a couple of miles to remind myself how far I have come.

BTW, it was great to see postings from Jack, Jachut, Alexandra, etc. Everybody who was around when I was here all the time. I will try and get on more but even with good internet connection, the pages take a long time to load and time is not something I have alot of here.

That's a good idea. I feel much stronger now than when I first had it removed but I was a nervous wreck when it was first removed and found it difficult to find much info on the topic. So I think it would be a great topic to expand on .

thanks

I just read your message today. I really needed to read it. I had my band removed last Thursday. It got twisted when my kayak turned over. I twisted it when I was getting back into the kayak. It was not my choice to have it taken it out. I was hoping that it could have been replaced when they took the twisted one out but my stomach was too swollen. They say I can return in one month to have it replaced but I after being in the hospital three days, the time and expense may be too great for me to return in one month. My program is a strong one and I am hoping that I can just continue what I am doing without my band. Its very scary but I appreciate your posting to let me know that if you did it then I can do it!

ellendeette- very sorry you had to have your band removed. I was so scared when I had mine removed but now I am realizing that the band gave me a good jump start and now I have to make the choice to change my eating behaviors whereas before I was forced to do so with the band You're posting was helpful to me because I never really got a reason as to what happened when i had mine removed; I asked the doctor if it could be from a certain type of abdominal excercise I was doing and didn't really get clear answer but I'm more convinced now that is what caused it. It was a waist twisting type of excercise with much resistance and it was shortly after I started using that particular machine when I ran into problems

Anyway, I'm hoping to start a new thread where any "unbanders" can support each other on what they are doing to be successful in our journey.

I hope you are feeling well and continue on strong as you mentioned.

I agree with you. It does give us a "jump start." I am on track more than I ever have been in my entire adult life.

I asked my doctor if the kayaking would have contributed to move my band and she said it was probably did with the combination of lifting my arms up to get on the kayak and then pushing off the hard surface to get on it. Who would have known? I don't know how to warn others about this.

Apparently, the band can slip even with weight loss.

My insurance covered my lapband surgery in May 2008 but I still had out of pocket costs for the hospital and doctors. I still have to pay the out of pocket costs for the removal that I had last Thursday. I can't even imagine getting psyched up again for another surgery after this past week of being in the hospital so much, so many tests, needles, etc.

I think a support group about those of us who had our bands taken out not out of choice would be an excellent idea! I am still planning on attending my doctor's support groups and staying on task with my program. Thanks for sharing.

That is awesome. I am facing having my band removed on Sept. 1st, after 2 years. I want to be a success story like you, can you offer me any help or suggestions on how you did so well. Did you keep the same eating habits as you did when you had the band? What did you do different if anything? i appreciate any help or suggestions.