Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Even the deer treat me nicer as a thin person

I decided to stretch my legs a bit and take a hike with my bro after work today. We went on the Robe Valley trail up on the Mountain Loop highway near Verlot Ranger station for those familiar with the North Puget Sound area. anyways, it is a short easy hike that winds down the valley to the old abandoned mining town of Robe. We could not make it to the tunnel this year because the trail was overtaken by the marshes. Neat area with lots of mossy trees and reeds. On the way back, we were coming up the switchbacks (about 500 feet climb) when we ran into 2 teenager deer munching on vegetation. They looked up and waved their tails before trotting slowly away 10 feet. Very nice to run into them. They went back munching on a snack before trotting further up the trail a little further. We played this little game, the deer and I until we got to the top of the trail. They then pranced off into the distance. Either these were the most domestic deer I have ever met or I was giving off "friend" vibes. See even the deer will treat you better when you lose weight. Cheers.

Watch out- in a few minutes someone will come on here telling you you had a bad attitude when you were big and that's why the deer always ran away from you.

-Kendra

Watch out- in a few minutes someone will come on here telling you you had a bad attitude when you were big and that's why the deer always ran away from you.

-Kendra

There is some truth behind your comment. I was a little mean spirited and had a chip on my shoulder when I was bigger. I am a much friendlier person after WLS. I cannot explain it really, but my attitude about life and people in general has improved 1000x in the past 8 months. I think I was harboring a lot of anger from the way people treated me as an obese person most of my life. Also, bad food had a wicked grasp on my mental state. Getting rid of all the junk a couple months before surgery has done wonders to how I feel day to day. It made me a better person inside and outside. I am so much happier now.

Deer Whisperer?

I think the deer sensed that you aren't as hungry as you used to be :)

Beautiful post, Fiddleman. Sounds like great country there.

Could be that the deer sense your kindness, or that you look less like a bear. :D

I couldn't get near them, they would sense my deer meat craving.

I love wildlife encounters. Seeing deer is like a gift that just fills me with joy. So happy for fhe de ar population that you are apparently no longer such a fierce, threatening presence!

Sounds like a marvelous way to spend the day :D

Sounds like a marvelous way to spend the day :D

Yes, it was pleasant. I always find myself connecting with my authentic self when out in the woods on a hike.

There is some truth behind your comment. I was a little mean spirited and had a chip on my shoulder when I was bigger. I am a much friendlier person after WLS. I cannot explain it really' date=' but my attitude about life and people in general has improved 1000x in the past 8 months. I think I was harboring a lot of anger from the way people treated me as an obese person most of my life. Also, bad food had a wicked grasp on my mental state. Getting rid of all the junk a couple months before surgery has done wonders to how I feel day to day. It made me a better person inside and outside. I am so much happier now.[/quote']

That is Great. 3 weeks out I have not seen that for me maybe it's too early to tell. Your story how thing has improved 1000% is inspiring. Maybe I'm in a certain early stage.

Thanks for sharing

I agree with above post. You are a calmer being on the inside -animals sence that! It sounds like natures beauty is being reflected back from you. Beautiful!

Is that near Monte Cristo? We hiked there and took a wrong path and ended up doing a 13 mile hike. Love the area.. Well I love all of the PNW

Is that near Monte Cristo? We hiked there and took a wrong path and ended up doing a 13 mile hike. Love the area.. Well I love all of the PNW

Yes, it is before Monte Christo trail @Barlow pass). That is a good hike also, 4 miles each way. If you keep going you end up at Glacier Basin - a steep climb into an alpine lake bowl. So many good hikes along the Mountain Loop Highway between Granite Falls and Darrington.