Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

This might be one of those posts that drives people crazy, but... here goes.

I am 14-months out from my surgery (January 23, 2012, represent!). I haven't lost weight since before Christmas, except for that bout of the stomach flu I had at New Year.

I go to a therapist monthly, I keep up my appointments with my dietician, I take my Vitamins (about 90%, which I figure is pretty good!), I exercise (but not as much as I used to).... but I graze. I'm not looking for a pat on the head and a glass of Water to send me on my way telling me everything will be ok - I know it won't if I don't get my **** together!

Part of the problem is that the weight I am right now... is the weight at which I have spent the majority of my adult life. I am comfortable here. I expected to be stalled here... and so, I am. I let things go for a while, telling myself, hey, a little break is ok. A little break is now three months of no movement, and that is NOT OKAY!

I suppose I could point fingers and blame and excuses at all kinds of different things, but why bother? It's all me in the end! It was up to me to make this decision, and now it's up to me to carry through with it.

What have some of you done when you've floundered for motivation? Mantras, exercises, kicks in the pants... share with me your best!

You have done so well. Go back and start like it is the beginning. I know you can do it, you've done it. Calories under1000 (keep tract my fitness pal). Eat 5 times a day. Go girl, you can do this.

I'm in a VERY similar situation as you. I'm almost 17 months out and have not lost anything since my one year mark in November (actually I fluctuate 3-4 pounds from day to day). I had even posted about it in the vets forum last week http://www.verticals...teau-from-hell/ .

I know, for me, getting back on track is about tracking everything I put in my mouth...EVERYTHING!! I, too, have a tendency to graze becasue being full is an uncomfortable feeling for me....I have a really hard time with meat and so most of my Protein is coming from either bars or drinks....which don't satiate me for very long.

So, I tracked my food for 3 days without changing the way I had been eating....and it was EYE OPENING!!! I'm now back to tracking my food everyday and it truly has made all the difference for me....I'm already down 3 pounds in just the past few days.

The other HUGE factor, for me, is exercise. I stopped losing weight shortly after I had completed my last triathlon of the summer (and my training stopped). I have continued to walk and exercise at least 4-5 days a week, but it's just not the same as when I was training in 3 different sports 6 times a week and sometimes twice a day. I think it's key to find a form of exercise that you truly enjoy doing!!

So, I won't pat you on the head!!! I think we all need a kick in the A$$ every once in a while!! So, figure out what it is that YOU need to do to get yourself back on track and let's do this!!!

Great job on maintaining for the last 3 months :) Now that you're ready to start losing again, you will need to go back to the basics of Protein first, drink lots of Water, moderate exercise, limiting carbs, etc. Sometimes it's good to take a mental break because usually this allows us time to relax and usually once we start up again we are very motivated. I also need mental breaks every now and then and it recharges my battery and then I usually welcome back the structure of dieting, instead of feeling like I'm in a power struggle with myself. *sorry if that didn't make sense lol* You've done great with your weight loss and this shows that you know what you have to do, in order to get the scale moving.

I started using MFP and have been logging my food but not weighing myself. Old habits die hard, and I'm a professional at sabotaging myself. For example: if I see the scale move down, I will feel that I've earned the right to eat ice cream or junk food in general. I have no idea why I do this so I stay away from the scale and now only weigh once a week and not everyday. Get back on the wagon.

maybe now your just eating what will maintain your weight. I was worried about getting to that stage where ive lost all my weight and I need to maintain, but now I know how. Im still not at the weight i want but i know what to do when i get there. I hope you understand what Im trying to say lol. maybe you need to track what youve been eating and maybe it will become clear to you what you need to do differently. try not to graze because you end up eating far more then you need. what In do (cause I have to fight grazing too) is I drink water/juice/gaterade in between meals. this keeps me feeling "full" and not eating more then i need. it actually has almost completely curved my "need" (or want lol) to graze. dont worry about annoying people on here with questions! were a "family" kind of lol all here in the same boat! well I feel that way anyway lol. Good luck girl! dont worry :)

I graze.

Tenshi

you had surgery about 3 weeks after me - congrats to both of us on our success

I've heard, there are times when people ask a question, but they already kindof know the answer.

you must do your best to stop grazing - people have been shot for less than that :lol:

you want tough love, kick in the pants????

Pow - there you go!!!!

i'm kindof a whimp - afraid to yell at anyone (except my DH sometimes :D )

hmmmm, there are "some" people that might not have a problem "beating you up" :lol:

but i'm sure they realize you are in a "hard" place, and they won't yell too hard, just give you more constructive advice "nicely"!!!! :)

its hard when you are in a stall, you've done so terrific,

you are almost 1/2 way to goal!!!!

don't sabatoge yourself :angry:

try and stop eating during the day when you shouldn't!!!! so much easier said than done, but you have to!!!! you know that

do you work out of the house??

if you do, must be hard around other people - you must be strong - during lunch - take your yogurt for a walk - or just sit outside with it - go on the wild side and have a baby bel cheese too :lol:

you just MUST stay strong, and tell yourself, "remind" yourself what you are doing is for your future - your health, happiness et al

you want to improve your life

don't stay comfortable at your present weight, just because you've been there before - you want to change that #, thats one reason you are here, or did you forget????

when/if i graze (which we've all been there done that)i basically really get mad at myself - really upset, so angry at myself :angry:

ok, getting upset at all of the above is fine for abit - then i move forward - only way to go!!!

believe it or not - many times i will come here to the board - just seeing other fellow sleevers - reminding me of my situation, why I'm here.

this helps me back on track, puts things in perspective - reminds me where i am, where i want to continue to be for the rest of my life

I'm not looking for a pat on the head and a glass of Water to send me on my way telling me everything will be ok

good luck bud

stay strong

even though you might THINK you don't want it

here's that pat on the back - and a tall cool 20 oz bottle of Water - and yes, everything will be ok, really ;)

try the 5 day pouch test.

Thanks, everyone! I found myself nodding along with so much of what you all said.

Sometimes a break is necessary. I KNOW what to do... just have to DO IT! When all else fails, drink Water. Get back to basics - Protein, liquid, exercise. DO NOT GRAZE.

I think what I'm going to do.... is print this thread out, cut out bits that are truly right on point, and make a little collage to hang right in front of my face at my desk at work!