Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico drs = NO diet pre op?

So, I'm most worried about not eating for 3 days prior rather then the actual surgery?! Which drs dont make u do it? And why do the others make u if its not entirely necessary??? I understand about shrinking the liver but I'm on the lower BMI end. I've asked my coordinator 3 times just to make sure I do have to do liquid diet for 3 days. Help please!

Three days is nothing. My MX dr required liquids and yogurt. I started slamming Protein Drinks also. I was at a lower BMI too and I don't think that has anything to do with it anyway. It's prep for surgery regardless of what you weigh

I think that's what you were saying/asking?

Why are you so worried about the pre-op diet? It is two shakes a day and a normal meat/salad dinner. If you can't stick to this for 3 days how will you be able to handle the sleeve diet? Just asking

Three days is nothing. My MX dr required liquids and yogurt. I started slamming Protein drinks also. I was at a lower BMI too and I don't think that has anything to do with it anyway. It's prep for surgery regardless of what you weigh

I think that's what you were saying/asking?

Hi, I could be wrong but I'm sure I've seen people say they went for a last meal the night before (Amanda Rae?) but maybe that just meant broth? Lol

ill be travelling a long way and just generally worried about the no food thing

8 /

Why are you so worried about the pre-op diet? It is two shakes a day and a normal meat/salad dinner. If you can't stick to this for 3 days how will you be able to handle the sleeve diet? Just asking

The 3 day diet I've been told is only Clear Liquids ... That's why I'm asking this question, some people have very different diets.

I don't drink shakes or smoothys or yogurt - if I was on fear factor and was made to drink them I'd be eliminated - they make me gag.

So before surgery and my hunger is much scarier than the first few weeks after when I don't have the same hunger or volume to fill - I love crystal light and can tolerate jelly ... And will make it work. But traveling a great distance mixed w jetlag and nerves etc I'm a little worried ill get arrested or ruin my friendship haha

I am starting to buy different pre made protien drinks so I can choose one and start getting used to it. Ill buy them and brig them w me. I'm only going to have liquids till I'm back home. I saw one lady had a soft boiled egg the day after surgery?!

I am starting to buy different pre made protien drinks so I can choose one and start getting used to it. Ill buy them and brig them w me. I'm only going to have liquids till I'm back home. I saw one lady had a soft boiled egg the day after surgery?!

look up powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein products...I got the chicken flavor and unflavored to add to Soups

You are right there are a few Drs. In Mexico that let you eat real food until the night before (like Amanda's) but if yours tells you to do pre op liquids for a couple of days. No big deal you can do it! As a matter of fact I'd rather be on liquids at least a few days before surgery and know that my stomach was empty and prepared for the surgery.. Did she say what she wanted you to do?

Everyone's diet is different. Mine was only yogurt for 3 days.

Who is your surgeon Rollargirl? You can do anything for 3 days, you're stronger than you think :) You will be hungry and it will suck but take it 5 minutes at a time, the hunger isn't constant and it WILL pass. It'll come and go in waves, you just have to tough it out. Here in Quebec doctors make the patients do several weeks of liquid diets pre surgery, I can't imagine. Not just that but they have to drink Optifast which as I understand it is fairly disgusting. If you truly can't do the yogurt or whatever your diet is, then Protein shakes would be better than nothing.

You are right there are a few Drs. In Mexico that let you eat real food until the night before (like Amanda's) but if yours tells you to do pre op liquids for a couple of days. No big deal you can do it! As a matter of fact I'd rather be on liquids at least a few days before surgery and know that my stomach was empty and prepared for the surgery.. Did she say what she wanted you to do?

Right now I'm going w Perez as he's the dr in cancun but still waiting if my friend can get time off before I confirm. Failing that I'm open to a dr in TJ = reason I'm doing reaserch now! Lol

Everyone's diet is different. Mine was only yogurt for 3 days.

Who is your surgeon Rollargirl? You can do anything for 3 days' date=' you're stronger than you think :) You will be hungry and it will suck but take it 5 minutes at a time, the hunger isn't constant and it WILL pass. It'll come and go in waves, you just have to tough it out. Here in Quebec doctors make the patients do several weeks of liquid diets pre surgery, I can't imagine. Not just that but they have to drink Optifast which as I understand it is fairly disgusting. If you truly can't do the yogurt or whatever your diet is, then Protein shakes would be better than nothing.[/quote']

Still not %100 sure on drs ^ see above ... This is just really freakin me out tho. So if I have to choose a dr in TJ the pre op diet is a big draw for me - yes as well as seeing all his credentials etc. I think the best way is seeing reviews on here or Dr's - I know 2 I would stay away from!

So HOPEFULLY ill know my options with my friend being able to come very soon! W her cancun by myself TJ ... Only 6 weeks to get organised!

Thanks ladies x

Ok, you know I love you, but girl!!! Get it together! I know it's overwhelming and the idea of not eating, especially when traveling sucks... But really?! It's 3 days. And it even sounds like it might be full liquids! Heck, I did 10 days of SF Clear liquids before my lap band surgery and I'm much bigger than you! Lol you can do it. It's important to shrink your liver and it's important to get your head in the right place. You're traveling THOUSANDS of miles for a surgery to change your life. If you are really going to change your lifestyle, this should be just a minor inconvenience. Not something worth looking at different surgeons for! You can do this!!!!!

Good luck with whatever you choose, rollargirl. I definitely understand your concerns, although for me the pre-op diet wasn't even on the radar when I chose my surgeon, I also knew I was staying local. My diet is basically 3-4 Protein Shakes and a light dinner for a week, with a calorie restriction of 870 or less for the day. Since I frequently replace Breakfast or lunch with a Protein Shake already, this sounds very doable to me, but I don't have to hop on a plane or drive a long way to get to my surgeon, either!

LOL hello my friend! I'm not going to change drs because of the diet - cancun is first choice BUT if I need to choose a new dr in TJ then pre op diet is important to me - I can't get my head around all you amazing people doing these harder diets?! I feel I don't have any control so that's why I'm here! ... I will continue my research once I've heard back from my friend ~ soon I hope!

Good luck with whatever you choose' date=' rollargirl. I definitely understand your concerns, although for me the pre-op diet wasn't even on the radar when I chose my surgeon, I also knew I was staying local. My diet is basically 3-4 Protein shakes and a light dinner for a week, with a calorie restriction of 870 or less for the day. Since I frequently replace breakfast or lunch with a Protein shake already, this sounds very doable to me, but I don't have to hop on a plane or drive a long way to get to my surgeon, either![/quote']

See! a light dinner would sound much easier - I don't eat much during the day .. And I'm coming from New Zealand! It's going to be a challenging few days but WELL WORTH it I'm sure ????

And when I say it's important when choosing drs & hospitals if I had a few that all had equal reviews but 1 had a week long liquid diet vs none - it's a no brainer lol