Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went out and bought a piece of clothing in your goal size before surgery? I am considering doing this as motivation but I am wondering if it would be more of hindrance? Once upon a time I saw a size 12 dress I loved and my husband bought it for me and said one day you will wear this (he had so much faith in me, I was on WW at the time.). Well, 3 years later I finally threw that damn thing away because I knew I would never fit in it. This was before my VSG journey started and now I wish I had saved it. I want to do it again, but I also don't want to set myself up for disappointment. Thoughts VSGers?

Sent from my iPad using VST

I wouldn't, maybe I'm vain but unless you're hitting your goal weight this season, you'd be totally out of style lol. And how much more fun and rewarding would it be to go to a store when you actually hit your goal weight?

I hadn't even thought of this. I had 4 sizes of clothing..20...18..16..14 in my closet when I started. I am now a 10. After going to Goodwill I suddenly acknowledged vanity sizing. A size 14 skirt from before was a size 12 now. I'm in a size 10 from current standards, which looks like a former size 12. I'm working through this concept. At 5'3" and 150 lbs, I am working on my goal. Before it was 115 lb. Now I am reconsidering.

I have a goal outfit, but it's like a "summer goal", n not end goal. I'm currently a size 22 & this outfit is 18. I like the idea of a "little black dress" goal sitting in my closet... :)

I hadn't even thought of this. I had 4 sizes of clothing..20...18..16..14 in my closet when I started. I am now a 10. After going to Goodwill I suddenly acknowledged vanity sizing. A size 14 skirt from before was a size 12 now. I'm in a size 10 from current standards, which looks like a former size 12. I'm working through this concept. At 5'3" and 150 lbs, I am working on my goal. Before it was 115 lb. Now I am reconsidering.

Just curious as to why you are reconsidering your goal weight? You and I have very similar stats. For me picking a goal weight is really hard, because I have no idea what that weight will look like on me. In my adult life I have never been below 133. I definitely want to get there again, but beyond that I really have no idea. Congrats on your success so far!

I wouldn't, only because your "goal" may change. The reality is that we all have skin unless we've been really blessed and that skin interferes with sizing, especially for skirts and pants. My goal size is a 12, but I'm still in a 16 because of my tummy skin. I'm really hoping that my Tummy Tuck will make a huge difference in pants sizing for me.

I bought a size 8 skinny jean and a Medium shirt (I have it on in the profile pic, just the shirt). I bought these 2 items in Sept 2012, one month after surgery. For me, it was encouragement, not discouragement. I'm currently in size 10 or 12 jeans depending. And, even if my goal changes, or I get to a smaller size than I thought I would, that's fine, it's only 1 pair of jeans and 1 shirt, I'll buy smaller ones when and if I get smaller. I say, go for it!! Enjoy!!

This is funny because I JUST ordered a cute maxi sundress for this summer as inspiration! I PRAY it gets too big & I will need smaller!! :-)