Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 2 weeks post op and physically I am fine..but mentally...this sucks! I was not prepared for dealing with social meal situations..I am absolutely miserable..I have lost 23lbs but can't tell it in my clothes yet..I am sick of Protein Shakes and my energy level is not where it used to be..I know its only 2 weeks out but this is the reality of it and I rarely see anyone who actually writes this..so I am doing it..I don't regret the surgery but this isn't happy rainbows and teddy bears for sure!

This is where, as a revision patient, I think I had a small advantage. I remember some of the emotional stuff from 7 years ago. Some is easier now, some not so much. We use food for so much! Celebration, comfort, social times, you name it, food is usually involved. But that's part of WHY this surgery is good and necessary. It's going to "force" you to start treating food as just food instead of an emotional "event".

It's not going to be easy. You might even want to get professional help at some point. I think any WLS sort of MAKES people recognize their emotional dependency on food. Those who accept that and work to fix it are successful with their weight loss. Those who don't are the ones who regain OR substitute some other addiction for food.

It WILL get better when you can start eating small amounts of normal food. Just tell yourself you're recovering from surgery...it's temporary!

My surgery is scheduled for May 28th. i have always been bigger than most' date=' my highest weight was 280, I would like to get down to 170-165. My mother is supportive, but my daughters father, and older sister feel I am taking the easy way out. I have not been in the 100's since grade school. So Im looking forward to this new change. I am so grateful to have found a forum that is supportive.[/quote']

Hi my surgery is may 28 as well!!!

Hi my surgery is may 28 as well!!!

My surgery is May 29th. :-)

This is where, as a revision patient, I think I had a small advantage. I remember some of the emotional stuff from 7 years ago. Some is easier now, some not so much. We use food for so much! Celebration, comfort, social times, you name it, food is usually involved. But that's part of WHY this surgery is good and necessary. It's going to "force" you to start treating food as just food instead of an emotional "event".

It's not going to be easy. You might even want to get professional help at some point. I think any WLS sort of MAKES people recognize their emotional dependency on food. Those who accept that and work to fix it are successful with their weight loss. Those who don't are the ones who regain OR substitute some other addiction for food.

It WILL get better when you can start eating small amounts of normal food. Just tell yourself you're recovering from surgery...it's temporary!

I've said from the start of this process that I believe the emotional aspect is just as importand, if not more important, than the physical manifestations of our obesity. Let's face it: we didn't get here overnight. Most of us have years under our belt gaining weight. You cannot tell me that does not have a profound effect on someone's emotional state on some level.

You are absolutely right: food plays a huge role in our culture and in our social interactions with one another. Its how we bond as humans. And it does take a bit of work to make that shift in your brain from "omg this food equals love/community" to "this food is fuel to keep my machine running". I don't believe I could have made that shift myself without the help of my Therapist. Digging into my abusive childhood and the unhealthy relationship with food it gave me is far from easy, but I don't believe for one second I'd be doing as well as I am if I did not do that work.

I believe we all will handle our journey in each of our own ways. I like the honest approach of the good and hard sides of what is to come june 18 for me. That way im going into this with my eyes wide open. I dont look at it as à négative approach, i see it as venting feelings that need to get out to get to the n'ext phase which is Why we all are here...keep it réal i love it...

My co-worker reminded me that I might have some pain pills so that might help with cramps! :D

I was sleeved on Tuesday and doing great! I'm not ready to run a marathon by any means, but the pain is tolerable. I slept 8 straight hours last night, so this morning was very painful, trying to get out of bed. So....tonight, I'm going to set my alarm half way through the night, so I can walk around the house and sip, sip, sip. 8 hours of not drinking or walking was way too long! My bed just felt so good after two nights in a uncomfortable hospital bed.

The recovery is not as bad as my hysterectomy, but more painful than my Lapband. So....really not bad at all!

Thank you for posting that about 8 hours of sleep. I would have never thought about that. I will try and remember to do that.

Thank you for posting that about 8 hours of sleep. I would have never thought about that. I will try and remember to do that.

Awesome advice. I will set up my alarm every 6 hrs!!

Well, I'm 5 days post op and had a big step back yesterday. I ran a low grade fever all day yesterday, then diarrhea and vomiting started last night. I ended up needing IV fluids and phenagran to get things settled down. I feel MUCH better today but the area around my lower right incision hurts like hell, so taking pain meds again. I think the pain is from the vomiting and the stretching to wipe (sorry...TMI....but diarrehea is not fun when you cannot properly bend to take care of yourself!)

I'm praying it's all uphill from here!

praying for you, too, A&Amom

I'm also a May 2012 Sleever! Yes! I keep thinking what if I didn't take that step last year. My advice is to stay focused you can do it. I'm not going to sugar coat things and say all will be good because at some point you will question your sanity. LOL Real Talk!! When I start to mess up I remind myself that I consented for 85% of my stomach to be removed to save my life. That always kicks my butt into gear. Never compare yourself to others. I use to do that but then realized everyone's loss and journey will be different!

Good Luck to all of you who are joining us on the journey to wellness.

Hugs

Brooke....I'm a May 2012 sleever. All I can say is....best decision I ever made. This whole time, my mantra has always been "think where you'll be a year from now." Every time I things got tough, that's what I told myself. I've been telling myself that since I started my 6 month supervised diet way back in November 2011. I kept saying it right through the pre op diet, and the post op liquids. Still telling myself that.

But here it is getting close to a year post op and I feel like I have a new life. Yes, I'm still me...with all the flaws and stresses that come with that. But so many doors are open now that weren't before. And I have more hope for the future than I ever thought possible. I am brimming with optimism and enthusiasm. No more hiding, no more excuses.

Yes it takes work. It is certainly not "easy." There are times when you're going to want to take a hammer to your scale. And there are going to be times when you'll want to drown your frustrations in a plate full of unhealthy food. But you fight those battles and prevail. And one day, maybe this time next year, you wake up and realize that you are a new person in a new body with a new attitude. Makes everything worthwhile.

Hey just joined today....its been 6 months medical weight loss for me with little success....however i was approved thru ins and my surgery date is May 29th.....I cant say I'm not a little apprehensive about surgery.....not the surgery itself...but the after...can I do it....can I stick to it...it seems impossible.....how hard is this liquid diet I have to start on Tues when I go to hospital for pre-op testing....what is pre-op testing....so many questions

Hey just joined today....its been 6 months medical weight loss for me with little success....however i was approved thru ins and my surgery date is May 29th.....I cant say I'm not a little apprehensive about surgery.....not the surgery itself...but the after...can I do it....can I stick to it...it seems impossible.....how hard is this liquid diet I have to start on Tues when I go to hospital for pre-op testing....what is pre-op testing....so many questions

This website is FILLED with really good personal information. A doctor knows only so much. Take time and go through this site and read as much as you can. I have learned a ton. My surgery is May 28th and feel a lot more educated and confident now that I have been on this site.

I'm in my hospital room now and being taken down first thing in the morning for my surgery. Excited but it's all very real now does not help heat I've come down with a UTI and have pain already from that antibiotics not worked yet. Roll on getting this over and done with I hate waiting!