Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nearing goal and family is complaining

I was sleeved on 10/3 and have lost 78 pounds. My goal is a bmi of 25. About 5 more pounds to go. Problem is my kids and husband are all saying I need to stop. They think I am getting too thin at a 27 bmi. 5'7.5" and 164 pounds. How do i deal with this?

My Nut told me that people would complain and say theses things and to ignore them. Go for your goal. In your case I would show them the a BMI chart and explain how import it is for you to be healthier. But keep reaching for your dreams.

Exactly what Ballermom said! You stop when you hit your goal. Not before. That will also give you more wiggle room when the scale fluctuates from time to time!

Ack! Were they worried that you were getting too fat? Sorry, but people who offer this kind of "support" really tick me off. Where was the concern when you were eating yourself to death? No offense to your family.

Congrats on you hard work.

I don't think you should totally ignore their viewpoint. When I had the band I lost my weight and not one time did I see myself skinny. When I got under 124 my son mentioned that I looked gross like Nicole Ritchie. He was right. (eventually, down to 104 because of the band complications, but that's another story)

I would let your nut and/or doc help you with what is a healthy goal. Being overweight the most of our lives we tend to always view ourselves as being fat no matter what we weigh. Even when we're sexy as hell at a higher weight.

My goal is set as a max I can strive for, but I will be happy at 130

It's just an adjustment period just like anything else like a hair cut for exAmple it is different takes people time to get used to it. Once they get used to u being thin they will be happy u conquered ur weight issues

I was sleeved on 10/3 and have lost 78 pounds. My goal is a bmi of 25. About 5 more pounds to go. Problem is my kids and husband are all saying I need to stop. They think I am getting too thin at a 27 bmi. 5'7.5" and 164 pounds. How do i deal with this?

They are USE to seeing you bigger. You go with what you're comfortable with. I'm 5 foot, 6.75 inches and have been maintaining at between 144 and 147 for a couple of years now. I got down to 132, briefly.....for one day maybe.....and knew it was too low. MY goal was 145, Dr. Davidson's goal for me was 150. I added calories to my diet and regained where I wanted to be. Even typing it sounds bizarre, but I did NEED to gain a little bit. I had size 4 jeans that were baggy, and size 2's aren't easy to come by. Yes, I do have priorities!!! LoL I still wear a size 4, some times a 6. The 4's fit like they are suppose to, which is nice. Good luck!

I think that often happens when people who are larger lose weight - those who see them every day and care about them worry that they will get too thin. Explain about BMI to them. A 'healthy' weight is considered a BMI between 20 and 25, and over 25 is considered overweight! Maybe this medical explanation will help them accept it.

Exactly what Ballermom said! You stop when you hit your goal. Not before. That will also give you more wiggle room when the scale fluctuates from time to time!

That is why I wanted to be five lbs below my doctor's goal. I wanted that five lb pad. So when I do go up a little, I'm still UNDER HIS GOAL, which keeps me at a healthy BMI. You just have to stay on top of it. I weigh every single morning, I have since two weeks after surgery when I got back home. (I was living out of state and flew to TX for surgery and stayed with family a week and then in Galveston for week #2) My doctor recommends weighing daily. It is much easier to drop a few lbs...actually it is real easy.....but if you only weigh once or twice a month, losing 8 or 10 isn't as simple, and we ALL know how easy it is to gain.

We should all keep in mind, 100 additional calories per day, every day, is over 36,000 calories a year and that's about 10 lbs a year. None of us woke up one morning fat, we did it a little at a time. Five or 10 lbs a year. It sneaks up on us!!!!

lost 78 pounds. kids and husband are all saying I need to stop. How do i deal with this?

NDN_RN'

slap them around!!!! :lol:

tell them you are doing fine - you want to lose that little extra weight - you would mentally and physically feel better.

tell them "this" all at once - ONE time

after that - no more

you shouldn't have to keep explaining yourself today, or EVER when you've lost whatever weight you want, or in the future (about anything)!!!

they know your wish - they should respect you, and let it go!!!

congrats on all your success :)

keep up the good work for the rest of your longer, healthier, happier life time!! :)

My family is doing and saying the same things. I think they'll get use to it. I've come this far and I didn't stop until I reached my goal...