Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a machine from several years ago and I hated it. I tried 4 different masks I woke up every night with the tubes wrapped around me or I would take the mask off without realizing it. One time I woke up and the machine was knocked off the nightstand and upside down on the floor with the tube ripped out of it. My ex husband didn't like it because it was too loud for him and it made a big impact on his "playtime". Needless to say I packed it away and quit using it. I don't knock any other things off of the nightstand in my sleep and I generally sleep through the night and feel rested if I get around 5+ hours of sleep..... I'll take it for my surgery but I hate that thing

The way I understood it, they ask you to bring the C PAP machine into the hospital, so that when you're coming out of anaesthesia, they put the C PAP machine on you for safety

The way I understood it, they ask you to bring the C PAP machine into the hospital, so that when you're coming out of anaesthesia, they put the C PAP machine on you for safety

That is exactly right because anesthesia makes it worse and can cause multiple problems post surgery. Did you also know that not getting enough true sleep will slow down your weight loss after surgery and can also cause a gain. That is another reason my Physician first sent me to get the study. He told me that if you are not sleeping well, (breathing enough and getting enough oxygen) you are fighting against it when you try to lose weight. Results are much better for the people on CPAP or who don't truly need the CPAP.

Sheetmetalgirl - you should get a new machine. The one I have is very small, when I put the mask on it is totally silent and sometimes I even have to put my hand in front of the mask holes to make sure it is working. I also have a lot of sinus problems and with the CPAP and the humidity it gives me, those problems have virtually disappeared. It has honestly been a Godsend for me. I was terrified when I found out how bad my apnea truly was and I had no idea. It even scared the tech who did my study and she woke me up and put oxygen on me (even though that doesn't help it at all since you aren't breathing) She just felt that she had to do something and couldn't just sit there and watch my oxygen in the 50s. She asked me how I even functioned during the day. This is a VERY important thing and to ignore it is to put yourself in a very risky situation.

[sharedmedia=trackers:tickers:6868]

Well I guess the part I didn't like and don't like the most about the whole deal is that in my study when sleeping on my side/tummy like I always do at home, I had zero hypopneas. I only had the issue on my back which is never how I sleep and when I do wear the mask I can't sleep like I have my entire life. My machine is very small maybe 8"x8" would be a pretty close guess. I should wear it but I know that they said I had a very slight case and my machine is set very low. I gave it a very hard try making it work but I honestly get better sleep and feel much better without it. So to each their own that's just my experience.

I recently was diagnosed with sleep apnea and I have been trying to use the machine for the past week. I have the small mask with the nasal pillows and I am struggling so much with it. I feel like I can't find the right fit in my nostrils and either it leaks too much sir or its so tight my nostrils hurt or I feel like I'm suffocating. Does anybody else use the nasal pillows? Maybe I should switch to the mask.

I recently was diagnosed with sleep apnea and I have been trying to use the machine for the past week. I have the small mask with the nasal pillows and I am struggling so much with it. I feel like I can't find the right fit in my nostrils and either it leaks too much sir or its so tight my nostrils hurt or I feel like I'm suffocating. Does anybody else use the nasal pillows? Maybe I should switch to the mask.

I've been battling with my machine for the week that I've had it... Tried the nasal pillows and feel like I'm suffocating. The nose mask feels best but I wake myself up a lot opening my mouth. The full mask is too big and I need to call and get a smaller one... I hate the cpap!

My surgeon required 200 hours logged on my machine before he would do the surgery. It was hard to get used to but I am almost at 200!

I first had the mask and my dogs (no joke) ate my mask twice so I put it off for several years until I was so tired I could hardly function and went back for another study and got the nasal pillows this time. It took me a couple nights to adjust and I have to find that spot, but I do like it better than the mask just because it is less covering my face. I thought I had made a mistake using them instead of the mask but now that I am used to it I don't think I would switch back. I know there are a lot of adjustments--had to adjust how tight I had it and getting it just right. I hope you find where it is comfortable for you but maybe the mask might be better. Good luck.

Thanks, I'm giving it another week before I decide. Last night wasn't too bad, woke up at 3am but instead of flicking it off, I readjusted it and fell back asleep. We'll see...