Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I get mentally prepared?

I can/have gone to the store, bought all the right things, have a treadmill waiting, will be getting new sneakers, clearing out the closet, bought smaller plates and forks, etc. etc. etc.

I've read books, I've been here online and all over the internet. Been to the GP doctor, dieticians, bloodwork - I'm all set. Even was given my date - JANUARY 30! Heck, that's right around the corner!

So, why is it that now after my 2nd meeting with my "REGISTERED DIETICIAN" (big whoop), that I don't feel so confident about the surgery/band. I felt like this after my first visit with them as well. Somehow they scare me into believeing that I can't do this; nor am I ready. I feel ready, I think ready, I see myself ready. The ONLY concern I have out of anything....I worry that I can't drink my Water and enjoy it like I do know. Won't miss cheese, bread, rice, lol. WATER of all things.

I know that my annual Superbowl Party is just 5 days after my surgery...and I wonder how I'll get around all the eating/drinking, sidestepping questions I don't want to ask from our guests. Perhaps I'll skip the whole thing and stay upstairs.

Anyway...what best ways can you advise for me to 'Mentally Prepare'???

:girl_hug:

Not drinking with meals was the biggest thing for me to overcome. I love Water and very rarely drink anything else (other than coffee). I go through gallons of it a day lol .. always have.

I had to find things to do, directly after meals, to help keep me from grabbing a glass of Water after eating. Things that helped me are:-

• Not eating "dry" foods. If I'm having chicken or something that's not moist, I have to have a sauce of some sort. I've always had a massive fear of choking, so this helps alleviate that a bit.
  • In the morning, I have my coffee, *then* I have my Breakfast. After Breakfast, I take the kiddo to school straight away. Because of traffic and the fact that she doesn't go to school in our suburb, it takes me around an hour round trip, so I can grab a glass of water as soon as I get back.
  • After dinner, I do the dishes straight away, or go take a nice bath, or a walk .. or basically, anything that will keep me away from a glass long enough.

lunch is the hard one for me cause I'm at the office and can't go find something else to do lol. It does take some getting used to, but you'll get the hang of it! You can do this :girl_hug:

I agree with Jack...I'm sure just about everyone has second thoughts. I sure did. I think those are normal healthy responses to big decisions. You've done your research be confident now in your choice.

But I did want to say that there is no way I could have hosted a party of any kind five days after surgery. I'm sure there are some that could have but be careful...I think that would be a big big big stretch.

Tell yourself that although you won't be able to eat much, you can eat almost any food in a small amount and with proper chewing. There's probably nothing (or almost nothing) off limits the rest of your life. You are not depriving yourself.

Also, I have to tell myself "This is not the last dessert on earth" or "I will get to eat cheesecake another time," etc. if I am already full but still want to eat.

Buy a journal to write in because you are going to have all kinds of feelings come up.

Exercise from the start (as soon as okayed by your doc) even if it's just 5 minutes a day. You will thank yourself later.

I would probably stay upstairs during the party myself.

Congratulations on your approaching band!

sherilynn,

dont think of this as a diet ... technically you can have just about whatever you want. in small quantities. i was a huge 'bad food' eater - for lunch i would have 15-20+ small reeses Peanut Butter cups, then more throughout the day ... i actually havent had any pb cups, but occasionally i do have some sugar free candy, but i know if i have one i will more than likely have more and then maybe gain... :rolleyes

the day before my surgery, i was having major doubts. MAJOR doubts. "why am i doing this, why cant i just do this on my own", etc...

then i had my husband take my "before" picture ... :phanvan seeing that picture 'sealed the deal' for me. i could not believe that i let myself get so large. sure i knew i weighed 400 pounds, but i always avoided looking at any pictures of me ... this time i looked and cried and made up my mind.

you can do this, doubts are normal, but you really do have to be ready for the surgery. the band is a tool and can be abused. put your mind to it and you can succeed.

good luck,

Hi Sherilynn:

I am getting banded on Jan 26 and I had the same thing about being mentally prepared. To help allivate some of that, I decided to start doing some of the changes that come after surgery before surgery. So I am learning to avoid drinking with meals (which I think will be the hardest) and really, really chewing my food. After the holidays I plan to ease into drinking the shakes, by starting to relace 1 meal a day with a shake, then 2, then 3. I am hoping that will help me better cope with the changes I will face in my eating habits. I need to start excerising more, but I procrastinate with that. I find that by doing what I need to do before surgery it helps with being mentally prepared for the surgery.

Victoria, I too am taking that approach. Part of my pre surgery "hoops" was meeting with a nutritionist. She altered some of my eating habits and had me stop drinking with meals. Then once I met with the surgeon, I figured that since eventually I'd be on a pre-op diet of shakes, I might as well work my way into it gently. I'm hoping for my surgery in April (spring break....the teacher schedule). Hopefully by then, I'll have made some major changes and the band will just be another phase of the changes. I still eat regular food, but less, and altered. I figure these changes will assist me once I've gotten the band. Good luck.

sherilynnn you take one day at a time... thats how you mentally prepare... It sounds like you have put everything in place physically but mentally...hey we all know anything can happen at any time...hard to plan on these things...but one day at a time you always have tomorro to rectifye the mistakes you made today...

:) Best Wishes

Becky

This thread is very helpful for me. I am in the final count down days with everything prepared and ready for surgery, but I am starting to over-analyze and have second thoughts. I'm glad to know that this is completely normal :eek:

I agree with everthing that has been said previously....I was just banded on the 6th of december I am still on liquids. This is one area that you have to be realistic about is what happends post-op. The first 4-6 weeks of not eating "real" food has bee harder than I thought. I know it will pass, but it is something to try to 'prepare' yourself for. Also using this website will provide you with the BEST support and answers to all your questions. Keep in mind the reasons you are doing this: improve your health, feel better, look better etc. Congratulations on taking charge of your life!