Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey ya'll, this is harder than I was expecting. :( I get sleeved on the 18th and had my pre-op appointment yesterday. So far, my journey has been freaking awesome and relatively painless and fast. I did all of my research beforehand so I know exactly what I'm getting into. And I live on this forum even if I mostly just read and absorb!

But I'm being attacked by the nerves so hard now that I can't really stop myself from crying at a moment's notice. I think it finally hit me yesterday what a big deal the surgery itself is going to be. I know I can handle the lifestyle changes as I've fantastic support as well as the knowledge that if I don't do this then I'm signing my own death certificate.

It's the surgery....I'm afraid of it. And it's stupid because I"m not even afraid of tiny sharp machine thingys CUTTING OUT MOST OF MY STOMACH WHICH IS AN IMPORTANT BODY PART! I'm afraid of the breathing tube. I'm clausterphobic and I honestly didn't expect this to be an issue. I've been "put under" before but never had the tube. The doctor said that it would be put in once I'm already out but that it would be removed once I'm awake although I probably wouldn't remember it. Is that true? Has anyone had this and didn't remember it?

I'm also afraid because they dumped a pile of paperwork on me "just as a precausion!" for a living will/power of attorney and that sort of thing. Which makes sense and intelectually I appreciate but.....~shudders~. I dunno. I guess I'm just starting to realize that the surgery itself isn't minor even if tons of people do it. :(

anytime you have anesthesia there that paperwork.......you will be fine..i am also an anxious person.....the anticipation far worse than surgery

I have no memory of anything other than them saying "ok heres the medicine to make you relax" and then i woke up in my hospital room. Being nervous is totally normal, you have having major life altering surgery, i'd be more worried if you weren't a little nervous. And yes the paper work is a just i case the impossible happens. Not saying it's impossible, but it is so unlikely! They have to do it for legal reasons though. Take some deep breaths, drink some chamomile tea and try to enjoy yourself. Everything is going to go just fine. My husband also had this surgery done and he also remembers nothing of any part of it. Yo will do great!! Sending happy relaxing thoughts your way! GoodLuck!

I don't remember anything after they got my IV in and started the good drugs. I don't remember being intubated or extubated. As a matter of fact, I got up off the recovery bed that they wheeled me to my room in and refused to get in the hospital bed. I sat in the chair in my room. It's normal to be nervous and scared. This is major surgery. But, the complication rate is so low and usually the docs and anesthesiologists won't take any chances if they consider you high risk, that you will be fine! I can't wait to read that you're on the loser's bench. Just breathe deeply, try to relax, and it will be done soon. :) Good luck!