Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bag for the hospital ladies!

So what's a few things you ladies packed for the hospital?

Chapstick, toothpaste and toothbrush, loose pair of jammie pants and a t-shirt for ride home, my cpap(required). My phone & charger, a brush and deodorant. I am considering baby wipes, listerine melts and a book.

Oops. I dont go until the 18th. But those are my thoughts.

Don't forget Gas X, a heating pad and Chap Stick! :)

I took extra pants, toothbrush, toothpaste, undies, feminine products(needed them), comb, brush, phone, charger, iPad and a robe. Used all but the iPad. Oh and Gas-X, Listerine strips, sugar free candy.

I packed light and wasn't interested in anything really but sleep.

I change of clothes, my phone, my charger, and tampons because of course, I HAD to get my period that morning. I took a few other things but used none of them. I got a shower and cleaned up once I got home.

I packed a bag but used nothing but my phone charger and the gas x strips... the hospital provided so much stuff that I forgot I'd packed it...

Oh jeez, I hadn't even thought about packing a bag... Thanks for the great topic

Based on previous experience with surgeries, I'll pack undies, a really soft sleeping bra (no under-wires!), a large, loose t-shirt and a lightweight robe, a hair brush, gas-x strips, sugar free hard candies, Blistex or Chap-stick and some mouthwash strips. I'll take my phone, phone charger, and my tablet (loaded with magazines or other really lightweight reading material and maybe a few videos, as I'll want to read/be entertained but probably won't be able to concentrate much). Depending on the weather, I *might* tuck in a zip-up hoodie or a cardigan, as I get chilled pretty easily after surgery, even if the temperature is pretty pleasant.

I'll wear some slip-on mule-style shoes so I can slide into them without needing to bend over to tie them, and I can wear them without socks if I choose. I'll also wear a pair of either really loose sweatpants or yoga pants which since I will likely only be in them for at most an hour or two, I can then wear home.

I'll take my CPAP only if they make me (I'm not dependent on it and my settings are all pretty low, so I may get away without it). I'll bring a pillow with me for two reasons - I hate sleeping on hospital pillows and it will likely be useful in the car on the way home to support my sore tummy.

Other than my pillow, everything will fit into one of my travel backpacks (yes, including the CPAP). If I can get away without the CPAP, I can easily get everything but my pillow in a small daypack.

Bump, someone had this fabulous list somewhere but I can not find it :(

I WAS TOLD BY DOCTOR NO PHONES or tablets, or other valuables, can't use the cpap right after surgery , air goes into your stomach under pressure , hospital will supply pads if you need them also tooth brush and paste, soap

they may not allow gas x or candy

the padded socks they give you are easiest to just leave on and have the nurse change every day so no slippers are needed , 2 hospital gowns work fine instead of a robe , which may get stained

best thing to bring is a loved one that will take care of you without getting on your nerves

you probably will not read much my hubby was in the hospital for 2 surgery s a week each time and only read like 4 pages, he brought 4 books with him

do not bring anything from work you will not be able to trust your judgement for a week or so ,

your job is to walk sip and rest

I WAS TOLD BY DOCTOR NO PHONES or tablets, or other valuables, can't use the cpap right after surgery , air goes into your stomach under pressure , hospital will supply pads if you need them also tooth brush and paste, soap

they may not allow gas x or candy

the padded socks they give you are easiest to just leave on and have the nurse change every day so no slippers are needed , 2 hospital gowns work fine instead of a robe , which may get stained

best thing to bring is a loved one that will take care of you without getting on your nerves

you probably will not read much my hubby was in the hospital for 2 surgery s a week each time and only read like 4 pages, he brought 4 books with him

do not bring anything from work you will not be able to trust your judgement for a week or so ,

your job is to walk sip and rest

Every location is different about what they'll allow/require, of course, and you always need to be aware of what the facility and your doctor says. I have had my phone with me whenever I had to stay at the hospital, and the only thing that I was told was that there was no guarantee it would be secure. It's a risk I was and am willing to take. Plus I've been told I'm required to bring my CPAP (ugh) because apparently anasthesia increases the risks related with sleep apnea. I hoped I could get away without it since my apnea is pretty mild, but it was a no-go.

I beg to differ regarding the reading - I spent a fair amount of time reading as a distraction even after open abdominal surgery several years ago. I slept right after the surgery, but later that evening I read for a couple of hours, and quite a bit the next day. As I mentioned, nothing complex or highly challenging, just lightweight reading that served the same distraction purpose as watching the TV, which allowed me to relax better in between getting up to walk around (yup, had to do that for other surgeries, too). That is only my personal experience and yours may vary, but don't assume automatically that you won't be up for reading if it's something you do normally. I'd still suggest it doesn't hurt to tuck in a book or a few magazines, even if you're only going to be there overnight. Of course, I also think that taking a bath requires a book, as does any trip over 15 minutes in the car where I won't be driving at least part of the time... :)

I highly agree about bringing along a loved one :) My husband couldn't be there 100% of the time for my past surgeries, but he was there as much as he could be, and it helped immensely.

Also, the point about not bringing work to the hospital is well taken. While I know that after my appendectomy I was perfectly able to focus and provide good judgement at my work within a couple of days after the surgery, I was also not trying to start a complete lifestyle change and understand how to work with profound changes to my biological functions at the same time. Really, even if you find you can focus after 3-4 days, I suspect it would be taking concentration that would better be spent figuring out how to work with your sleeve!

Bra with removable straps that you can get on and off without having to take off your drip. You can hang out in pjs day and night but if you don't like sleeping in a bra, but have to have one on when you're doing all those walks, a strapless or convertible bra is the way to go.