Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I be reading the after surgery posts?

The reason I ask is I'm wondering if it's just going to scare me. Am I better off just going in blind and hoping for the best? How many of you read all the stories about the pain and anguish and then felt that this helped you deal with your own surgery?

I don't like pain : ) So far, the thing that scares me is having the drain pulled out believe it or not. I hate having staples removed because my skin is so sensitive and it freaks me out to have people pulling and prodding on my flesh. Go ahead and stick a needle in me but don't pinch and pull! I'm going to need a xanax I think!

I prefer knowing as much as possible going in. I think I can make a better decision and be prepared for the situation. Otherwise my mind tends to run away with me. It's the unknown that causes me problems.

In my case, the only staples are in my stomach - and those don't come out. I didn't have any stitches on my incisions - they were glued and I didn't have a drain tube. I guess it depends on which surgeon you use.

Well I didn't even feel the drain come out and I also did not have staples. Sometimes you can read things that you will never have to experience. Take what you read as a grain of salt.

I think it's best to read everything you can before you have surgery. You need to know the good, bad and the ugly before you can make a decision. You need to weigh up the risks and see if its worth it for you

If you were going to have a baby would you just go in blind and hope for the best?

Prolly not. Same deal here......

I had no drains and no staples. No gas - no complications- no problems. You should absolutely read everything you can - everywhere. However, so many Doctors recommend different things. And I have seen posts on here from patients that i find unbelievable and out right CRAZY. I think some people are not honest in what they write and others are getting advice from poorly trained doctors and are on the way to a disaster.

Read medical websites for truly accurate info. Your experience will be different from everybody else. Good luck.

I am 5 days post op and had my drain pulled Friday before I went home. It didn't hurt exactly. It was a little uncomfortable of course. It just felt... Weird! It was the weirdest feeling I had ever had. Like I said, it was only a little uncomfortable and not PAINFUL as I would describe pain (I'm a total pain chicken too). Plus it's over in like 3 seconds or less. And you'll feel ever so much better with it out. If that's the main thing you're worried about then you've got it made my friend! You'll do fine. :)

In my opinion you should be reading EVERYTHING.

I don't typically read by subtopic it's posted under, I just typically go to the "Forums" drop down menu and select "Recent Topics" to see everything thats new. You want to be aquanted with all aspects of what could happen to you. It's scary but its my opinion that we should be prepared (within reason) to handle all that and to risk that before we go into this surgery. I think that the vast majority of people here don't have any serious complaints but its important to know about common issues.

Your surgeon should / will be giving you an explainantion of the common risks.

Everyones opinon is subjective. Their experience probably won't be yours. If you think it will cause you undue anxiety there's nothing wrong with not reading that stuff here. Get advice off your surgeon, talk about the risks.

We'll be here when you're done!

Good luck,

Deano

Oh thanks guys :) I think I'll be fine. I mentioned staples because I'd had 3 c-sections and I hated that part, not because I thought I'd have them again. I was just reading about someone complaining on here about the removal of the drain and I thought, "OMG I hate stuff like that! Maybe I shouldn't be reading all of this stuff!" But, whether I read or don't read, I've committed to do this and paid the $$ so off I go, jumping in and hoping for the best.

I agree with Dean, you should obtain all of the information regarding your surgery from your surgeon. Your surgeon may have a surgical protocol vastly different from others. You will also find so many varying opinions. Once sleeved you can either read through the threads or post your own question. Whatever you choose, good luck to you.

I agree with Jenn.. The drain didn't hurt at all coming out, it was just an unexplainable weird feeling. I actually laughed because I've never felt anything like that.

Did. Not. Hurt.

As for reading everything? I don't know.. Everyone is so different as to whether they have pain and then everyone is different as to how they tolerate pain.

I will admit I read one post that if I was just getting into it.. I would have run away! But then, some people like drama and so it's hard to rely on everything you read.

Doc is the best source of info