Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 20th Dr Lopez anyone? travelling alone from Oz

Hello!

Was just wondering whether there is anyone else out there having their sleeve on the same day as me?

I am booked in at Mi Doctor Hospital under Dr Lopez for the 20th March. I know it's going to be difficult for me and I'm a Registered Nurse that works in Endoscopy/theatre, but I am travelling from Western Australia alone.

Was hoping I could befriend someone whilst there!

Any advice and support would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading many many posts on this and other sites so think I know what to expect and what to pack.

Unfortunately I will have to endure a very long flight with 2 plane changes along the way, so just keeping my fingers, toes, legs and anything else I can cross crossed and hope that I am comfortable enough to travel back on the 27th, landing back home 2 days later on the 29th. I then have a week at home to recover. I am thinking I would normally have 2 days to recover from the jet lag alone but I have the option to take more time off if I need it.

I have only told my 2 best friends and they think I am mad, but my husband is very supportive but couldn't get the time off from work.

Please someone tell me I'm not crazy!

I have always been the fat kid and now fat adult, been on and off too many diets to remember loosing some then regaining it all back plus more for over 30 yrs, I now finally say enough's enough.

Thanks in advance

I don't think you're crazy! There are plenty of folks from Canada who have to endure long flights to get to MX (but not as long as yours!). Look through the posts on the forum from Amanda and Armywife to see who else will be at Mi Dr when you are - I'm sure there are some.

Be sure to ask Dr Lopez for advice for the trip home, and sitting for long periods. I've heard compression stockings are advised for such trips.

Good for you taking charge of your life, I think you are very brave!

Thanks, I will ask him about the return journey. I have some of my own TED stockings for the flight and also to use in the hospital if they don't have any. Am also taking my own sterile gloves as I saw a clip on youtube of the Dr taking the drain out in the hotel room with bare hands. Daon't know whether he had just washed them and used alcohol gel on them as it didn't show that bit, but I thought I'd take them just incase!

Hello!

Was just wondering whether there is anyone else out there having their sleeve on the same day as me?

I am booked in at Mi Doctor Hospital under Dr Lopez for the 20th March. I know it's going to be difficult for me and I'm a Registered Nurse that works in Endoscopy/theatre' date=' but I am travelling from Western Australia alone.

Was hoping I could befriend someone whilst there!

Any advice and support would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading many many posts on this and other sites so think I know what to expect and what to pack.

Unfortunately I will have to endure a very long flight with 2 plane changes along the way, so just keeping my fingers, toes, legs and anything else I can cross crossed and hope that I am comfortable enough to travel back on the 27th, landing back home 2 days later on the 29th. I then have a week at home to recover. I am thinking I would normally have 2 days to recover from the jet lag alone but I have the option to take more time off if I need it.

I have only told my 2 best friends and they think I am mad, but my husband is very supportive but couldn't get the time off from work.

Please someone tell me I'm not crazy!

I have always been the fat kid and now fat adult, been on and off too many diets to remember loosing some then regaining it all back plus more for over 30 yrs, I now finally say enough's enough.

Thanks in advance[/quote']

There are several surgeons that use Mi Doctor and the Marriott so you will probably find many on here with your surgeon and many with another surgeon at the same time/place.

Amanda Rae

Good luck for the 19th and I'll more than likely see you there then! I'm getting nervous now :blink:

How are you doing???

I'm doing really good. Everyone has been wonderful.

Hooray for you! Walk. Sip. Burp. Repeat.

Amanda Rae

the hardest part was the flight over. Last thing i remember was the anaesthetist asking me how longmy flight took, and he must have been sneekily adding something to my drip as thats all i remember apart from waking up in my bed later on! IV was a pain but i knew that would be as i have no veins so 2nd attempt and it was in but it had tissued so had to have another one put in, no wonder i felt a little light headed the one and only time up until then that ihad been up for a walk, no fluids in me...all in my hand instead! Got up for a potter around my room, opened a get well soon card from my best friend which is nice and went for another walk and got offered a blue drink...hoping it was blueberry juice...no luck...its the blue dye you have to have to test for leaks though your drain. No pain at all, the only discomfort I get on occasion is like an indigestion pain which goes away with a deep breath, so all in all its good, except i now have a blue tounge!

the hardest part was the flight over. Last thing i remember was the anaesthetist asking me how longmy flight took' date=' and he must have been sneekily adding something to my drip as thats all i remember apart from waking up in my bed later on! IV was a pain but i knew that would be as i have no veins so 2nd attempt and it was in but it had tissued so had to have another one put in, no wonder i felt a little light headed the one and only time up until then that ihad been up for a walk, no fluids in me...all in my hand instead! Got up for a potter around my room, opened a get well soon card from my best friend which is nice and went for another walk and got offered a blue drink...hoping it was blueberry juice...no luck...its the blue dye you have to have to test for leaks though your drain. No pain at all, the only discomfort I get on occasion is like an indigestion pain which goes away with a deep breath, so all in all its good, except i now have a blue tounge![/quote']

Glad you're feeling ok! Speedy recovery :-)

the hardest part was the flight over. Last thing i remember was the anaesthetist asking me how longmy flight took' date=' and he must have been sneekily adding something to my drip as thats all i remember apart from waking up in my bed later on! IV was a pain but i knew that would be as i have no veins so 2nd attempt and it was in but it had tissued so had to have another one put in, no wonder i felt a little light headed the one and only time up until then that ihad been up for a walk, no fluids in me...all in my hand instead! Got up for a potter around my room, opened a get well soon card from my best friend which is nice and went for another walk and got offered a blue drink...hoping it was blueberry juice...no luck...its the blue dye you have to have to test for leaks though your drain. No pain at all, the only discomfort I get on occasion is like an indigestion pain which goes away with a deep breath, so all in all its good, except i now have a blue tounge![/quote']

I too was a smurf. I'm glad everything went well. Lets hope it stays that way.

Amanda Rae

How was your flight home? Did u have to do anything special? I have 12 hours back to London after my revision! Would love tips to make it easier! X

How was your flight home? Did u have to do anything special? I have 12 hours back to London after my revision! Would love tips to make it easier! X

Hello Libbyb,

No, I didn't have to do anything special. I had 5 nights post op in the hotel before I travelled home, so thats 7 in all, which I think was wise. I did a fair amount of walking during that time and did not have any gas pains at all, just rested and healed. For the flight I just ensured that I had compression stockings on (TEDS) and made sure that I got up frequently on the flight to stretch my legs and did a few leg exercises (didn't care how silly I looked). I was particurlarly worried as my clotting factor from my blood tests pre op showed that my blood clots quicker than normal too, so I'd be especially prone to DVT's as well as being on the pill which is a risk too, so it was always in the front of my mind.

Am now home and so glad to be in my own surroundings and getting back to normal. I did a clear Fluid diet whilst I was away (so 9 days in total) which I think has helped with my graduation to full fluids since I have been home. I am going onto pureed food on Wed, which will be a week from when I returned which I am looking foward to. There is an excellent website that is very informative called www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com which is ful of excellent ideas for food post op and advise from a lady who has had a revision too. It's very very good!

12 hours to London, direct flight will be a snip! I had 30mins San Diego to LAX, then a 4 hour wait, LAX to Brisbane was 14 hours 30mins with a 2 hour wait and then another 5 hours 20mins from Brisbane to Perth...phew.....soooo glad it's over. I just made sure I drank plenty of Water and diluted apple juice, I also took chicken oxo cubes with me and asked the stewards for cups of hot Water to crumble 3/4 of a cube into. Make sure you have warm layerable clothes as all my flights were FREEZING and I have really felt the cold after the op too and lipbalm definately. I wore on the way home compression stockings, socks, full length leggins, trousers, 2 tee shirts a cardigan and a thick scarf and I still need 4 blankets to keep me warm! thats why its nice to have the hot oxo to warm you up a bit!

Let me know if you have any more questions

oh wow thank you for that. I am actually flying out from New Zealand! So I have sort of that long a flight to get there (going via London)! 24 hours + 12 hours (yuk!) That's really helpful though thank you so much, I was worried reading about blood clots etc but sounds ok if I just keep moving!