Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just read the other day in the post titled

Topic

29 wks post op and 27 wks preg

Started by ebthompson2010, Mar 5, 2013 7:12 PM

I think she had an IUD, but not sure it was the mirena. Considering its probably 99% or so effective... someone has to be the 1%

;)

I'm wondering the same thing. I've had Mirena for over 10 years now (I'm on my 3rd one) and my kids are 13 & 16. I really don't want to get pregnant, but I've heard several people say that they did get pregnant with an IUD; though I'm not sure which one exactly. Apparently you do pump out more estrogen as you lose weight, so you're more fertile. I never had an unplanned pregnancy, but also never had much trouble getting pregnant. I can't decide if I should push my hubby to get snipped, or what.

I have had my Mirena IUD since August 2011 and I have not gotten pregnant. I got Mirena because not only does it place a foreign object in your uterus to make your body reject any developing fetus, it also gives off a small amount of hormone to prevent it from occurring. Some IUD's do not give off hormones and are just a foreign object intrauterine.

I found out during preop testing that I was pregnant. I have had mirena for 13 months. I ended up having a miscarriage due to the Mirena but I am that 1%.

My Mirena fell out post op and had to be placed again (ultimately I had it removed and there are posts about my experience on VST somewhere) so it's possible. If you are able to check your strings you can at least have reassurance that it's still there.

It is possible to get pregnant with Mirena but many more of the IUD pregnancies we see here are Paraguard ones (no hormones) but I still encourage everyone to discuss their birth control with their docs post op. There are ladies here very happy with their Mirena post op and there are others like me that had to change to something else.

~Cheri

Oh, and my pregnancy was planned and had nothing to do with IUDs or birth control at all, so don't get worried by my pregnancy ticker. ;)

I'm currently pregnant and had the mirena. I say had because after several ultrasounds, its no where to be found. Drs say they can probably locate it with an X-ray but since ultrasounds ruled that it was not in the uterus and no harm to the baby at this time, I elected to wait until after the pregnancy to locate it.

I got pregnant with the Mirena in Jan 2012. I had an ectopic pregnancy. It was a horrible month. It's not common but very possible

I got pregnant with Mirena and had an extremely painful/ prolonged miscarriage. The first trip to the ER in April (went because I was bleeding a few days after 3 positive at home tests) they said it was likely a "chemical pregnancy" which they described as a "tiny miscarriage." I counted my losses and moved on with life. Later that summer I had horrible stomach pains and thought I was constipated so I ran to the bathroom thinking I was finally going to pass something. I sat there for about half an hour in extreme pain that got worse each time I tried to stand up. My cell phone was on the floor, I dialed 911 with my toes. I ended up 'delivering' something that didn't look like a baby. In the ER they said it was in fact a fetus that had been deceased for about 4-6 weeks.

The initial pregnancy test in the ER came back with bad results from the Mirena. That was the last straw. Mirena was a nightmare for me for plenty of other reasons.

Also, my ex's sister in law got pregnant with her Mirena. Her daughter was fine.

I suggest Micronor, the depo shot, or some other low/no estrogen option. I no longer have periods with my pill and still have all my hair. Our Hair loss is largely attributed to super high estrogen levels post op. I learned that when Mirena made my hair fall out, and grow out of my face!