Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone travelled long haul for surgery ie. Australia - Mexico?

Hello everyone,

I have been reading the posts for a few days now but have not found anyone who has travelled long haul for their surgery.

Has anyone made the journey from Australia to Mexico for the surgery? Or a similar distance, it's about 30 hours all up. I live in Perth and the flights consist of about 3/4 plane changes depending on the airline. Just wanted to know whether one would feel up to such a long journey after major surgery.

Any advice on surgeons in Mexico and possible hospitals to avoid or recommed would be really appreciated. IT's such a big decision to make from so far away!

Thanks

Sharon

I am not really sure why you would do that as my surgery was cheaper in Australia than Mexico. But not only the money factor, you will also get continued aftercare by your surgeon here. No travel before and after surgery. You will also be able tp meet and choose your surgeon. This questions a no-brainer.

hi sharon im going to chiang mai in thailand. 10 grand. includes anaethist, surgery and three day after care. i am doing pre-op dirt here before i go. 29th march my date. message me back if you want more info. take ten hours to get there. i payed 1100 return flights.

Cost me 4' date='500 in Australia.[/quote']

That is at least what you'd pay in Mexico. But if you go to Mexico, add 2,000-3,000 in travel costs.

Oops, sorry - I meant to quote Sharon, not Aussie lady. :)

$4,500 is a at least what you'd pay in MX, but you'd have to add 2,000-3,000 for travel expenses. If stay in AUS if I were you,

True. But I get follow up care from my surgeon once a month for 12 months at no fee. What do you get from surgeons in Mexico?

Thanks everyone very much for the feedback. The price in Mexico was $4500 and flights are about $1600 return. That includes 2 nights in hospital and 2 nights in a hotel, airport transfers and all the leak tests and pre-op tests. There seems to be many Americans going over the border for that surgery so they do have a lot of experience, however, it is Mexico and doesn't evoke images of surgical cleanliness.

I was also looking at Thailand as I know they are very well known for excellent cosmetic surgery but haven't heard too much about bariatrics, and their hospitals are amazing.

Stevie07, can you let me know the contact details of where you are going and any internet links/info please. And if anyone else has any info for Thailand that would be greatly appreciated, the more info for an informed choice the better.

Sorry but I can't figure out how to reply to individual messages!

Thanks everyone very much for the feedback. The price in Mexico was 4500 and flights are about 1600 return. That includes 2 nights in hospital and 2 nights in a hotel' date=' airport transfers and all the leak tests and pre-op tests. There seems to be many Americans going over the border for that surgery so they do have a lot of experience, however, it is Mexico and doesn't evoke images of surgical cleanliness.

I was also looking at Thailand as I know they are very well known for excellent cosmetic surgery but haven't heard too much about bariatrics, and their hospitals are amazing.

Stevie07, can you let me know the contact details of where you are going and any internet links/info please. And if anyone else has any info for Thailand that would be greatly appreciated, the more info for an informed choice the better.

Sorry but I can't figure out how to reply to individual messages![/quote']

Just wondered what your aversion is to having it done in Australia?

I would prefer to have it done here.....but I have only just taken out health insurance and I have to wait another 12 months until I can get it done, and then theres the gap to pay too. I know I am impatient, but once you have made your mind up that's all you can think about and I'm so fed up about how I feel and don't want to feel like this any longer than what I have to.

I am a registered nurse and actually work in Endoscopy/theatres so I see all the downsides to the operations so know what can go wrong on operations that have been performed both here and overseas. It's the skill of the surgeon and not the country it seems. There are plenty of surgeons over here I wouldn't go to!

I asked a doctor yesterday what would happen if I got surgery overseas and what I should do if I had a problem once home. He just said you turn up in ED just like everyone else.

I have looked at paying for it myself over here, but the cost is $17,000- $20,000 depending on what hospital you go to and thats way too much.

It seems like the gap you pay in Australia is the full cost less flights to have it done in Mexico and Thailand is double the gap, but half the cost if you are self funded.

I would have it done in Thailand now and pay the extra.

My BMI is 36

Sorry, its 35 not 36... but I have chronic back and hip pain due to arthritis. Am sure weight loss would ease my pain. Sorry to be late in the reply...was engrossed in My Kitchen Rules!

AussieLady... Somehow we keep ending up on the same thread about people traveling for surgery! Lol

I had a WLS in India in 2006 and had to fly home to California in the states 7 days later. It was a 22 hour flight and I'm pretty sure I cried through at least 12 hours of it. And I even had a pretty empty flight with a flight attendant who gave my husband and I a whole row so I could lay down. If you can do it closer, do it. That flight would be rough, to say the least!!

Cost me 4' date='500 in Australia.[/quote']

Man I should have flown across the ditch! Cost me 17, 000 NZ! Worth every penny though :)