Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved 2/20 and am on purees/mushies. Here is my problem. I have spent my entire life cleaning my plate and having second helpings. I was sleeved because I overeat and binge eat. Even now, with a tiny swollen sleeve, I'm having a hard time finding when I'm full and stopping. I always have to finish. I do weigh and portion my food but I can eat anywhere from 2-5 oz in one sitting. For example, my nonfat greek yogurt comes in a 5 oz container with fruit on the bottom and I always finish it (except I leave the fruit Syrup, don't want the carbs). How do I break this bad habit and learn when I am full? I hear everyone talk about knowing when to not take one more bite. Besides one really uncomfortable meal earlier this week where I knew I over ate, I have never thrown up and I don't get nauseous. I am worried because if I don't deploy some strategies now I fear my ability to regain when I am way further out.

Some info if it is helpful: Currently, I eat 4-5 times a day, get in about 60-70 grams of Protein, still working on my Water averaging 6-7 cups. I do drink 30 minutes before I eat to make sure I'm not thirsty vs. hungry, averaging about 500-600 calories. I am following the rules (totally I'm scared of a leak) and I'm a fairly compliant person when it comes to medical stuff. However I know myself, when I can eat more, I probably will. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

I was a plate cleaner too. I still usually eat everything in my little bowl, but thats either 1/4 measured cup or 1 or 2 oz. i do frequently have to stop if i am having salmon. I suspect when i add beef and chicken the same will happen. So i guess my point is, cleaning your plate is fine if you dont over fill it to begin with.

I agree with moregoodtimes, so long as you measure out what you are eating clean your plate. I am a total plate cleaner! I even use little saucer plates instead of big ones and I measure what I eat first. Helps a lot! :)

[sharedmedia=trackers:tickers:6868]

I was raised as a plate cleaner as well. Moregoodtimes has a point. You only use a very small plate and put a small amount at a time. If you finish that and wait a little bit, you will probably find out you don't want any more. If you do need more, just a small amount at a time. One of the things that helped me the most is making sure you are eating very slowly and putting your fork (baby fork) down in between bites. Also, make sure there are no distractions like tv or reading. For a long time, I had to not even talk while I ate because all of a sudden, I would look down and there was no food and in just a minute I felt miserable! This is a learning curve and you must find ways to relearn old habits. I applaude you for attacking it now and not waiting! That is what got us here in the first place. It all works out if you work at it!! Good luck, you can do this!!!

It really doesn't sound like it's a problem, especially as your overall intake is only 500-600 calories a day. How long does it take you to eat a 'meal'?

I worry about eating too fast. I only get a 22 minute lunch break at work (I'm a teacher), and my mornings are very hectic with getting myself ready and getting my daughter up and moving so I can drop her off at school, so I don't have a lot of time to eat before I leave for school.

Use smaller plates and bowls and silverware. I confess though.. I lick my bowl and plate

*hangs head in shame*

It really doesn't sound like it's a problem, especially as your overall intake is only 500-600 calories a day. How long does it take you to eat a 'meal'?

I worry about eating too fast. I only get a 22 minute lunch break at work (I'm a teacher), and my mornings are very hectic with getting myself ready and getting my daughter up and moving so I can drop her off at school, so I don't have a lot of time to eat before I leave for school.

I can eat more calorie no problem, I've already had a 700 cal day. When I read people three months out are barely getting that in, it worries me that I can do it already. Just trying to not let myself eat that much. I do eat too fast. I can eat a meal in 10-15 minutes. I do use small bowls and baby utensils. I go back to work next week and I travel so that means restaruant food and portions.

I'm only 3 weeks out myself, and I, too, can eat fast, and seem to be eating more than most on here. I eat 1 c of cottage cheese for lunch, and finish it in about 10 minutes without feeling overfull. The more solid the food, the less I am able to eat and the longer it takes me. I have been eating around 800 - 1000 calories a day, and getting way over my minimum Protein. I am able to drink pretty normally, I just don't chug like I did before surgery. Reading the experiences of most on here, it sometimes concerns me, but I have been losing about 5 lbs a week since surgery, not including the 10 lbs of Water weight I gained from the IVs in the hospital. (Including that would make it 8 lbs a week!) I'm happy with that.

I also have not had any problems as far as throwing up, sliming, or anything like that.

I know every surgeon's prescribed diet is different, but something I was advised to do once I advanced to mushies was to eat dense Proteins only, and then a little mashed veggie from a very short approved list, if there was room. I'm one of the few sleevers who don't eat yogurt. Greek yogurt is actually on my list, but I burned myself out on yogurt pre-op, and I don't care for greek yogurt. Eating the dense Proteins (tuna, salmon, chicken) fill you faster and stay with you longer, as opposed to yogurt which I imagine passes through a little more quickly. However, if you're on your surgeon's plan, and you're taking your recommended amounts, it sounds like there's nothing to concerned about.

I found the consequences of eating too much last night and it was horrible. I was sick to my stomach, I just felt this tuna sitting there in my esophagus trying to decide if it was going to go upstream or downstream. It was a tense half hour or so, to say the least. I have been able to finish a full serving my Protein, even though I've really wanted to. It's hard to leave a third of that meat in the bowl. However, today I had food for Breakfast for the first time instead of a Protein shake, and I was surprised that I actually was able to finish the whole thing! (2.6 ounces.)

I agree the smaller plates and utensils help. I measure or weigh everything.

When I'm packing leftovers or lunch, I measure everything out and pack in small tupperware/glad containers. 4oz. each. I'm lucky not really to be feeling hungry but that wasn't really my issue prior to surgery. Portion Control was.

Good luck!

I am 30 days out. At three weeks, a few days before my period, I had a 900 calorie day. Before and after, I get in between 400 and 600 per day. I feel more restriction and less hunger now than I did at three weeks. I was worried about being able to eat too much too soon, too. Turns out my sleeve had other plans for me. I also eat fast. I only eat 2 oz of most things, but I finish it in no time with minimal discomfort. I was in a stall, which ended today. Maybe the 900 calorie day helped.

I can eat more calorie no problem' date=' I've already had a 700 cal day. When I read people three months out are barely getting that in, it worries me that I can do it already. Just trying to not let myself eat that much. I do eat too fast. I can eat a meal in 10-15 minutes. I do use small bowls and baby utensils. I go back to work next week and I travel so that means restaruant food and portions.[/quote']

I pack a measured lunch plus Snacks. Started this when i went back to work.... A choice i made for me rather than eating out. Sometimes i sit in the ar and eat it, sometimes i take it into work, and sometimes i drive to a park toeat. I log everything i take with my on mfp before i leave for work when i put in my Breakfast. I eat my meals and check the clock then after 45 min i start hot tea. Earlier, the first 2-3 weeks, i thought i was still hungry after only 2-3 oz but i dont have those feelings the past two or three weeks. As far as the yogurt, i pull out a container and half goes in a small container with a lid and back to the fridge for a lunch another day. Yes, i can drink quickly and yes i can eat everything but dense Protein pretty quickly, but just because i can does not mean i should or that i do. Best of luck figuring out what works for you.

I agree with MGT. Packing food is great. If you cant pack have worked out in advance what you plan to eat. Spend time planning this, it's a good investment!

Also I agree with everyone about the small plate thing. I do this.

I was a plate cleaner and over time I've got better at not doing this. Now I actually enjoy leaving food - even if I've paid for it in a restaurant. I got in the habit of leaving a bit of food on my plate to be thrown out. Even if it was only half a teaspoon.

I agree with everyone, I use small plates and utensils. I also pre-plan, cook and pack my lunches and snack for work and for the week. We have a fridge in the breakroom at work and so I always have hard boiled eggs, string cheese, greek yogurt and tuna in there. I am also a little OCD (ok a lot) was even before surgery and my husband swears I could eat for a week out of my purse! At any one time I'll have little packets of almonds, beef Jerky, individual packets of Peanut Butter and a cheese stick in my purse! It makes me feel better to know that I always have good options with me if I get in a jam. I'm now almost 6 months out and I find that I'm not as worried about having it all with me as I was in the beginning. I now know that I can stop in anywhere and get a cheese stick or some nuts! I also cook a lot from theworldaccordingtoeggface blog with her little mini muffin Protein Bites. My whole family loves all the different ones!

I was sleeved 2/20 and am on purees/mushies. Here is my problem. I have spent my entire life cleaning my plate and having second helpings. I was sleeved because I overeat and binge eat. Even now, with a tiny swollen sleeve, I'm having a hard time finding when I'm full and stopping. I always have to finish. I do weigh and portion my food but I can eat anywhere from 2-5 oz in one sitting. For example, my nonfat greek yogurt comes in a 5 oz container with fruit on the bottom and I always finish it (except I leave the fruit Syrup, don't want the carbs). How do I break this bad habit and learn when I am full? I hear everyone talk about knowing when to not take one more bite. Besides one really uncomfortable meal earlier this week where I knew I over ate, I have never thrown up and I don't get nauseous. I am worried because if I don't deploy some strategies now I fear my ability to regain when I am way further out.

Some info if it is helpful: Currently, I eat 4-5 times a day, get in about 60-70 grams of Protein, still working on my Water averaging 6-7 cups. I do drink 30 minutes before I eat to make sure I'm not thirsty vs. hungry, averaging about 500-600 calories. I am following the rules (totally I'm scared of a leak) and I'm a fairly compliant person when it comes to medical stuff. However I know myself, when I can eat more, I probably will. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

For me, I pack my lunch if I'm going into my local office and if not, I can kinda eyeball how much to eat if purchasing in the cafeteria. I don't use smaller plates or utensils, when I start to get that feeling in my esophagus or as I call it "auto cut-off" I stop and the rest gets tossed. The portions are small to begin with so I don't feel bad about tossing the rest. I think in the beginning it was difficult for me to get that concept, but now its not a problem.