Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It makes my stomach turn!

Not scheduled for VSG until March 30 but starting pre op on the 16th. I have spent a fortune on food for pre op and post op. Today I have decided to try what I have bought. I can't stomach any of it!!!! I understand as a nurse the importance of getting the proper nutrition. I have 2 weeks pre op liquid diet, 1 week post op Clear Liquids, 2 weeks post op full liquids, that is 5 weeks of liquid. Omg....if I can't stomach the taste now how am I supposed to stomach the taste afterwards??? Does your taste buds change after surgery? Am I going to just be thankful that I have something to drink during this period. I just don't know what to do at this point.

The pre op diet is hard. But you have no choice after the surgery; I lived off of popsicle's and frozen slushy Powerade. Even Water kinda hurt to swallow! But if it was frozen it went down no problem. My pre op diet was only 5 days. And I had broth, popsicle's, and gatorade or powerade to drink.

After a week of clear liquids post op .. You will be very surprised at how much you like at that point. You'll be happy to eat just about anything ;-)

Yes, your tastebuds change after surgery. I could not drink Vitamin Water or SoBe, way too sweet!! I loved sf Jello and Popsicles. Water was difficult, tasted terrible...drank it anyway but very slowly. No problem with Gatorade g2 sf. I loved broth, too. I had such a problem with Protein Shakes post op, they made me vomit!! A friend gave me a case of Premier shakes from costco, those are good and I am still drinking them at 10omths out. My pre-op diet was 2 weeks of Bariatric Advantage shakes, 4 per day. Nothing else. It would have been horrible if I hadn't been so excited about my surgery...anyway, good luck on you surgical journey!! I am RN, too.

My tastes didn't change, I still like the same things. The pre and post op diet are the worst part. It is very hard to get the required amount of liquids and Protein in during the liquid/mushy stage. My doctor knew this and just wanted me to try. I also like the Premier Protein from Sam's. I went to our local health foods store and bought a bunch of samples to see which one I liked the best. Find that one you can tolerate and you will get used to it. I never used the protein broth or anything.

My surgery was unexpected so I wasn't prepared but I had to stay in hospital first 4 nights. I finally started getting ice chips down on night 3. I could not tolerate anything else. About 2 days after going home I started getting power aide slush down but it would take all day to get 8 ounces in. I could also do skim milk (its thin) with carnation instant Breakfast mixed in but could not handle the other Protein Drinks. By the time I could get to soft foods a scrambled egg sounded like ribeye. You will make it!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches