Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird post op hair problem

Please help me! I'm 9 days post op and since about two days after surgery I've had this problem. I wash my hair then blow dry it. My roots are immediately greasy and dirty feeling and looking. It's gross. The only thing that is saving me is putting a bit of baby powder on them. Is this due to the drastic calorie change, high Protein, what?! Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on how to get it to stop? I emailed my nutritionist and she has never heard of it.

Please help me! I'm 9 days post op and since about two days after surgery I've had this problem. I wash my hair then blow dry it. My roots are immediately greasy and dirty feeling and looking. It's gross. The only thing that is saving me is putting a bit of baby powder on them. Is this due to the drastic calorie change' date=' high Protein, what?! Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on how to get it to stop? I emailed my nutritionist and she has never heard of it.[/quote']

That sucks! I'm not having that problem but I would try using less conditioner (if you are using it) Or try using Shampoo made for greasier hair. Good luck:)

I've been noticing it about my hair too..I thought maybe I wasn't rinsing the conditioner out enough, but I guess I was wrong..I just let my hair do what it wants to.

I've heard that hormones go out of whack when losing weight, causing everything from hair loss to mood swings or changes in libido.

The amount of oil your scalp produces is directly related to hormones as well!

I would get yourself a good "sunday shampoo" which is designed to strip your hair of oil and build up, and then switch to a light conditioner, and only do your ends.

You can also get yourself a dry aerosol Shampoo that will soak up the oil. I use it sparingly on my roots when I need a shower but don't have the time to wash, though if it's applied to liberally your hair can look dusty. Here's a good example of one. http://www.sephora.com/detox-dry-shampoo-P378169?skuId=1506468

Last advice I've got is working with the oil, and using hairgel / pomade to "slick" your hair into a pretty ponytail or bun if your haircut will allow it.

Best of luck. I'd bet that when your hormones chill out your oil glands will too.

I had some noticeable hormonal issues RIGHT after surgery, so it could be, but at 9 days post op I just wonder if you are not getting all the product rinsed out of your hair. Sometimes we are not as careful as we should be while we are sore.

Also, I have had the experience of using the same Shampoo and conditioner for a long time and it was great until suddenly one day it started building up in my hair really bad and I needed to switch to something else. So it might also be a coincidence. My best advice would be to shampoo your roots again, and if it happens again switch products.

Buy a clear see thru Shampoo and not a pearl (creamy) color. Sometimes just changing to another brand helps.

Changing brands is really good every few months.if you don't have color on your hair a very simple home remedy to strip you hair if all the buildup is baking soda. Miss a little with your Shampoo. Wash and rinse. Wash again w just shampoo. It works amazingly well for pennies.

My sister is a hairdresser (25+ yrs plus) and always recommends this over expensive products. Removes all buildup from hair spray etc. if your hair is colored it will strip some of it out - remember if you ever got a bad color job!

My hair is colored and long. I have to switch shampoos (just for a few days) about every six months. I don't use a lot of product but have used it to lighten color up.

Sorry for the typos. It's early and I'm using my phone! It's MIX not miss'

I had to change Shampoo and wash my hair twice for several days after surgery. That took care of the greasies for me.

I had some noticeable hormonal issues RIGHT after surgery, so it could be, but at 9 days post op I just wonder if you are not getting all the product rinsed out of your hair. Sometimes we are not as careful as we should be while we are sore.

Also, I have had the experience of using the same shampoo and conditioner for a long time and it was great until suddenly one day it started building up in my hair really bad and I needed to switch to something else. So it might also be a coincidence. My best advice would be to shampoo your roots again, and if it happens again switch products.

I too started noticing greasier hair post surgery. Pre surg I never really drank Anything, always dehydrated. Now I'm throwing back Water like a camel. I think hydration shows everywhere, hair, skin etc. your body will balance out.

My hair changed after surgery some, too. Late about a month. My hair is really long and really curly. It is course though, so I have a certain mix of hair products I use and it always looks best when I use them. Right after surgery that mix stopped working! So frustrating. I kept using them, thinking it was user error. Finally yesterday, I was back to normal. Hope it just lasts a bit for you!

I had the kind of hair that people of all cultures jist had to stop and compliment me. It was long thick and curly.... and healthy. My hair now is thin broken, a little shorter and limp. It also is much straighter :-( I can't just jump out the shower anymore. I actually have to wash my hair less and just try not to touch it.... its very tempramental. Lol. Its not falling out anymore but I wish it would return back to what o knee my whole life

I had the kind of hair that people of all cultures jist had to stop and compliment me. It was long thick and curly.... and healthy. My hair now is thin broken' date=' a little shorter and limp. It also is much straighter :-( I can't just jump out the shower anymore. I actually have to wash my hair less and just try not to touch it.... its very tempramental. Lol. Its not falling out anymore but I wish it would return back to what o knee my whole life[/quote']

How far post-op are you?

11 months