Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't Flame Me But Can We Discuss Something

The band lets me eat everything and anything in small portions, and that's how I want to live. I don't want to live on Beans and vegetables every day.

Sunta, I agree with your entire post 100%!! Because I can and do have "regular" foods, I enjoy the healthier foods even more. I don't have to restrict myself to certain foods or food groups. I eat a lot of Beans, and love them, but to be honest, I rarely ate them pre-band. On the other hand, I had Taco Bell this afternoon for lunch. Pre-band, I'd eat 2-3 items, and who knows how many calories. Today, I had about 1/3 of a chicken burrito, and felt very satisfied.

Tami

Wheetsin hit the nail on the head...the problem isn't taking the weight off most of have taken off 100 lbs before. The problem is,as stated in "Prevention" magazine only2 percent of those who are morbidly obese and lose weight can keep the weight off...that's a pretty daunting figure and I wasn't prepared to fight those odds...

I want to correct what I originally said. The band also kept me from eating SOME things that would have caused me to gain more weight...like bread and potatoes and rice and raisins and anything that absorbs fluids and "grows" once it's in your stomach. So it WILL keep many people from eating CERTAIN things that are not good for them..but it won't keep out the ice cream.

Good responses bandsters! I agree. It has helped me stop from gorging on real foods (french fries, bread, rice, meats, etc). I never have seconds. It won't stop the junky stuff for the most part. However, I am eating way less and have lost weight. The most weight that I have ever lost was 20 pounds, and that lasted a minute.

Shawn

Sunta took the words right out of my mouth...err typed the word out from under my fingers??? LOl, anyway she nailed my problem--hunger! With my restriction on my band, I am not hungry. I eat, because I need food, I need nourishment to survive, and be healthy. I can go to the kitchen, and make wise choices, because I am driven by the need to nourish my body, not by hunger. Then when I do eat, small amounts are all I manage. There are times my head is hungry--and wants more of something, because it tastes so good...but the band keeps me from letting my head hunger win. If I decide to eat a candy bar today, so what, my band is there and will help me back on track. But not having the hunger and cravings, I only eat a candy bar on rare occasions, instead of wanting them, and usually eating them all the time. And now, the mini bars are plenty!

I would have lost this weight long ago if I could have done it on my own. Well I did lose some of it, and regained it...several times! I do not consider myself weak. I have no control of my hormone levels--and each one your body produces, correlates to the hormone produced in your stomach, and it sends hunger signals, and causes cravings. The hormone is called (not sure of the spelling, this was told to us during one of the seminars I attended) Gruehlin. The balance of hormones is changed with health issues, ie diabetes, with life changes, ie menopause, even menses themselves...which is why our cravings increased at that time. Anytime one hormone level changes, others do too, trying to maintain balance. The example he used for us was a woman either going through menopause or having a hysterectomy, and suddenly gaining lots of weight...it is the direct result of sudden loss of estrogen/progestin (?). Where some people's bodies, are capable of balancing the hormones/chemicals out, others are not. It is no different than having other chemical imbalances, such as being bi polar. It is not something you choose to be, as most of us do not choose to be fat...but there is a reason behind it. It may not be the actual cause of being overweight, it just lends itself to the habits that cause us to then gain. The band allows food to reach the vega nerves in the top of the stomach much sooner, and that causes the feeling of fullness. If you ignore that feeling, food will then back into the esophagus...hello pain! It is believed the hormone in the stomach is directly related to diabetes, which is why this surgery is so successful for diabetics. It will be interesting to see what develops as they learn even more!!

I am sorry, I cannot explain this as well as he did...maybe you can find similar info on line.

Good Luck

Kat

I'm no good at self deprivation. With the band, I eat what I want - but I want less than I did before. The weight loss isn't something I focus on every minute of every day, like I had to do on any of the other plans.

And, the added bonus is that this isn't a "plan" that I will go off of. I am just going on about my life with my little friend to keep me from eating zillions of calories a day. If I am blessed enough to be able to keep my band for the rest of my life, I certainly will!!

but it won't keep out the ice cream.

That's true, but for many bandsters, they find that, since they ARE more satisfied with what they eat, it's a LOT easier to avoid the ice cream.

Pre-banding, there was no way I could stick to a 1000 cal/day diet. I was hungry all the time, constantly thinking about the next meal, etc. So then, when the scales didn't drop as quickly as I wanted, I'd get frustrated and impatient...and head for the ice cream. Or Cookies, or chips, etc. In ONE day, I could easily undo an entire week's worth of limiting my calories.

But with the band, I consistently eat 800-1000 cal/day. But I'm NOT hungry. Since I don't feel deprived, I don't feel the need to comfort myself with comfort foods. Sure, sometimes I want ice cream...and when I really want it, I eat it. But I eat it because I really DO want it and not because I need to be comforted, or I'm sabotaging myself, or because I'm miserable so figure I might as well eat.

The band helps me even more because, even if I'm being impatient, I can't say "to hell with the latest diet" and go back to eating more. The band is with me all the time. :eek:

Cindy

After reading all these great posts, a funny phrase sprang to mind, really good for the up and coming festive season!

A Band is for life not just for Xmas!

It truly has been the best gift I have given myself and I have only had it a month! I am amazed at how I don't ever feel as hungry as I used to! I can also be a wee bit of an emotional eater, have been since I can remember, secretly gourging myself and then eating dinner with the family.

I was lucky when I was young, I was never slim but I didn't look fat. Probably because I did a lot of dancing. I kept dancing up until I had my son and that is when the rot set in and the weight kept creeping up and exercise was a major issue due to my pregnancy triggering off a hereditary condition, which usually doesn't cause any problems but my body decided otherwise.

I have fought for years, constantly yo-yo'ing, getting more and more desperate, then they discovered my thyroid was slow so I thought getting the medication would help deal with the weight issue. No such luck, it stopped my weight from escalating but it didn't help me lose it. So, the band was kind of my last chance before I gave up on myself completely!

It certainly is a tool, it isn't a miracle cure. If you go in thinking like that you will certainly be disappointed. It's a case of self awareness and recognising the signals that somehow in someway have got lost. You could consider the band as a hearing aid for your brain, it shouts loud and clear that 'YOU'RE NOT HUNGRY ANYMORE, YOU CAN STOP EATING!'

I am sure in the end you will do what is right for you. You and only you will know when that time is.

I wish you all the best

Regards

Suzanne xxx

I got banded in July of this year. I keep thinking that I could have done the same dieting before the band and lost this weight. I could have.... But then I think about how I could not have kept it off without it. Unlike any other diet, this time every pound that comes off I know is gone for good! It feels different. Good luck!

zoe

-35 lbs

:girl_hug: Just want to say that this has got to be the best thread Ive read in any forum I've visited. These are the words and feelings that I have wanted to read! That this is a way of eating for life .... its about eating when and what you want but not in quantities that would have seen us putting on weight pre band days. Its about eating normally..... everything in moderation but just small quantities. I am 4 weeks post band and am feeling more inspired than I had previously. Thank you all who have posted here. :clap2:

Banded In Melbourne Vic Australia

27th October 2006