Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maybe my last question

So, surgery is set for Tuesday. Getting cold feet...just a little. Not planning on chickening out or anything, but I have to ask this. So I've been on a liquid diet for 10 days or so. Down 16lbs. Hasn't been that difficult. I lost 110lbs. 5 years ago by dieting. (Then I gained back 124lbs.) I KNOW how to lose weight. Unfortunately, I can't keep it off. Gaining it back is far easier. Do I try once more to lose it on my own? I know I can do it. But, how will I keep it off? Probably a dumb question. I'm sure cold feet is common

Well, you won't be able to binge like you have in the past, you can have bad meals but really if you were a binge eater there will no longer be 5000 calorie days. Everything you do post op is going to be a matter of going very slowly and mindfully so you don't hurt yourself at least early on. Most likely, this surgery will help curb the screaming hunger that you used to get when dieting. I was sleeved the 5th, and haven't experienced much hunger. What I did experience was severe anxiety about everything post op. I would encourage you to see someone unbiased, ie therapist, about how your life is going to change. How you're going to change. I saw the psych to get the go ahead but I swear this does not replace the ability to be mentally prepared for what this surgery does and what it does not do.

I thought being ready for change meant I had the tools to deal with the change, and I don't. It's dredged up all kinds of other issues that I thought I had handled pre op. How do you plan on coping with life when you aren't in your pattern of eating all the time?

If you were looking for a just gloss it over post about how you have nothing to worry about...sorry this isn't it.

Ultimately, this is just a tool you can use to help you in control. It won't make great food choices for you though, that's up to you.

I think the more important question to ask yourself is why you put the weight back on? Can you resolve the root issue that causes the regain. Then decide if you can do without the surgery.

Is normal to be nervous prior to having surg:) I can tell you I have lost 100+ pounds twice before in my life and gained it back twice, so that us why I decided the sleeve was right for me. I can't keep the weight off on my own and I was tired of the roller coaster ride. Good luck on Tuesday:)

Well, its completely up to you. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this question really, its just whatever you want for yourself.

If you can lose the weight without surgery it's my inclination to encourage you to do so, but if you are like me and you lost weight and gained it back 100 times in your life that is one hamster wheel I was happy to jump off and leave in my past, which is why I proceeded with the surgery. I was scared to do it, but I was scared of what was going to happen to me if I didn't do it.

Hang in there. You are getting cold feet. Yo yo dieting is not good for you and neither is being obese. You can do this, no more yo yo dieting involved. Your weight will stay off as long as you change some of the foods you eat. I will say it again YOU CAN DO THIS. Its the best thing tjat has ever happened to most of us.

I have gained weight, lost weight, gained weight and lost weight again. There have even been a few times that I lost over 50 lbs and still gained it back plus more. I'm a little over a year since my VSG and it was the BEST decision of my life! No more yoyou dieting to only gain it back. The sleeve limits the amount of food you can eat at one time which helps a lot! Unfortunately, you will still be able to "graze" throughout the day and will put weight back on if your not careful BUT it's nothing like before the VSG. I will notice I'm putting on a few pounds and then I'll stop the grazing for awhile and get back in control and my weight goes back down. I personally would never have been able to keep the weight off without the VSG. Prior to my VSG I kept asking myself the same questions that you are...I can do it myself. I have before, so why not again? and am I just being stupid and taking the "easy way out"? These statements/questions are all too common from people like you, me and members on this site. Almost all of us on here have lost weight before on our own...the problem is...keeping it off and keeping our weight under control. Yes, you definately have cold feet as most of us did. I have no regrets doing the VSG and have recommended it to many of my friends and family members. Good luck and if you need to lose the weight one more time on your own then do so but if you want to get to the end of the insanity of yoyo dieting and exercising then I recommend keeping your appointment and going through with the VSG. It's such a personal decision that nobody is going to be able to tell you one way or the other of what to do. Be honest with yourself and really evaluate what you want. Good luck on your journey!