Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scale Voodoo

OK my fellow slow losers, confession time! What tricks do you do to get the scale to show a number you like? Here's some of mine:

1. Use Saturdays as my official weigh in day, because I get to sleep in and always seem to weigh less on days I sleep in.

2. Move the scale around the floor multiple times to find the spot that gives me a low number (and memorize that spot!).

3. If I have a specific goal for a specific date, the day before my final weigh in I'll drink extra fluids and hope to flush out a few more oz.

4. Record my weight on my ticker when it goes down, but not up (my weight fluctuates a few oz to a lb or more depending on hormones and such).

What do you do? Always looking for good ideas, LOL! :rolleyes:

I too, log my lowest weight, I do not feel the need to move my ticker back and forth if I fluctuate up a pound or two.

I am guilty of using a laxative before weigh in's because I am still newly sleeved and very irregular and that makes a huge difference in the accuracy of my weigh in

I have a bottle of furosemide and I am not afraid to use it!

If you can't tell I have a disposition to hang on to things so sometimes I have to do a little extra to get things moving. Don't know why.

Ah, laxatives. Hadn't thought of that. Usually I don't have a problem in that area, though. I sure did the first several weeks after surgery, though! Glad that passes soon (sorry, no pun intended!).

I found a way to trick the scale accidentally. I got on and was suddenly 8 lbs lighter than yesterday, then I noticed the vacuum cleaner power cord was under one corner of the scale.< /p>

Seems my appliances are trying to help out too. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't really recommend people use a laxative unless they really need it because it can turn into bulimia and take it from me as a nurse - you do not want to be someone who has become laxative dependent if you can help it. Your bowels lose their own motility if you constantly are taking things to force them to move.

I found a way to trick the scale accidentally. I got on and was suddenly 8 lbs lighter than yesterday, then I noticed the vacuum cleaner power cord was under one corner of the scale.< /p>

Seems my appliances are trying to help out too. :rolleyes:

That is probably the same reason that certain spots on the floor may cause a person to have lower readings. If the floor is not level your weigh in will not be as accurate but you can still see trends. I just try not to move my scale a whole bunch.

Well, so I've figured out a little trick. I can't see the digits on my scale over my boobs lol, but if I lean over to see it before the number sets it will knock off like 8 lbs :D

I have a tile floor in the master bathroom and so depending on where I put the scale I will get a different reading. So, I moved the scale to our guest bathroom, which has vinyl flooring, and the scale sez the same no matter where I put it. But, DH is now dieting with me and doesn't want to weigh in the guest bathroom, so today I moved the scale back to the master bathroom and tried to find the part of the floor where the scale read nearest to what the scale said on the guest bathroom floor. I swear, I tried 3 different spots on my master bathroom floor and got a 2 lb. difference depending on where I put it! One spot, let's call it the "sweet spot," LOL, said I weighed 1 lb. less than the scale said in the guest bathroom, and I was soooo tempted to Celebrate my "weight loss" by writing that down in my weight tracking log. But no ... I didn't do that. Seriously tempted to do that, though!

Re laxatives, I personally never take any unless I am really constipated. I find that when I take laxatives they seem to take effect at the MOST inopportune times/places, which usually involves me frantically rushing around trying to find the closest toilet and hoping nobody else is in the next stall ... LOL...

Hmm, you might try going down to home depo or whatever is near you and having them cut you a square of plywood or masonite to slip under your scale on top of the time.