Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hyporeninemic hypoaldosteronism

Has anyone who has had gastric surgery been diagnosed with this? I have been through **** for about a month and today they tell me I have

hyporeninemic hypoaldosteronism - Something to do sodium and my body not being able to absorb and keep it.

Anyone have any information on this? I've googled it and just need layman terms.

Is it caused from the sleeve surgery or you would have gotten it anyway?

My kidneys are bad now too.

Let me know what they tell you.

I was told the sleeve only affects the treatment but isn't a cause

What did they tell you?

I am sorry I can't help you with that because I have NO idea what it is. My question is how did you loose so much weight in such a short amount of time?

I was in shock when I saw your surgery date and your weight loss!! That is AMAZING!!!

I am having surgery March 9. I am 32 and weigh 310. Its mostly in my stomach after 3 c-sections.

Do you have any suggestions to lose quickly like you?

You are awesome and should be very proud of yourself. I hope this medical issue is not anything serious and hopefully not from the surgery after how hard you have worked.

I'm in medical school and I can tell you basically what that means but of course your doctor will know much more.

Renin is made in your kidneys in response to low blood flow through your kidneys or to too little salt going through your kidneys. Renin in turn stimulates the production of aldosterone (through a semi complicated pathway)...and aldosterone has a big role in how much salt (and therefore water!) your body keeps vs excreted through the kidney and released as urine.

If you have hyporenin then your kidneys, for whatever reason, are not making renin, which means you cannot make aldosterone, which means you lose salt and can become very dehydrated (hypovolemic) with low blood pressure and such. Aldosterone is also important in regulating potassium, an electrolyte, in your body. Wonky levels of potassium can lead to heart problems.

You can see just how important renin and aldosterone are for your body. What kind of symptoms have you been having and how is your doctor proceeding with treatment?

Symptoms that occur commonly with too little aldosterone (which in your case is caused by too little renin being released from your kidneys) are: fatigue, dizzy with standing, racing heart, urinating a lot, craving salt, always hot.

I wish you so much luck. It's enough to go through this surgery without more health issues popping up!

Looking ahead...did that help at all? Feel free to ask questions and maybe I can at least point you to some good online resources.

I'm in medical school and I can tell you basically what that means but of course your doctor will know much more.

Renin is made in your kidneys in response to low blood flow through your kidneys or to too little salt going through your kidneys. Renin in turn stimulates the production of aldosterone (through a semi complicated pathway)...and aldosterone has a big role in how much salt (and therefore water!) your body keeps vs excreted through the kidney and released as urine.

If you have hyporenin then your kidneys, for whatever reason, are not making renin, which means you cannot make aldosterone, which means you lose salt and can become very dehydrated (hypovolemic) with low blood pressure and such. Aldosterone is also important in regulating potassium, an electrolyte, in your body. Wonky levels of potassium can lead to heart problems.

You can see just how important renin and aldosterone are for your body. What kind of symptoms have you been having and how is your doctor proceeding with treatment?

Symptoms that occur commonly with too little aldosterone (which in your case is caused by too little renin being released from your kidneys) are: fatigue, dizzy with standing, racing heart, urinating a lot, craving salt, always hot.

I wish you so much luck. It's enough to go through this surgery without more health issues popping up!

Yes that is what the dr told me too but you explained it so much better. I have had all these symptoms except being hot, I FREEZE ALL the time. No feeling in my fingers freezing 24/7. I haven't broke a sweat in over 2 years

The gastric dr sent me to a diabetic dr who found this in a blood test. He prescribed Potassium and another pill to help my body absorb the salt.

I have low BP and don't know how long I've had it, I've been falling, about to pass out and fell once at work and ended up in the ER overnight because my BP was too low to send me home. Somewhere around 80/48. After 3 iv bags, it went to abt 96/56...where it pretty much stays now. I have always had perfect Blood Pressure. My heart rate has always been around 56-60. it dropped to 45-48 in the ER. During the fall, I pinched and damaged a nerve in my left leg...Now I have drop foot. I can't move my left foot up at all...I can move it down and slightly sideways but nothing up. I have a brace on my leg and foot now that I got this week. It helps me not lose my balance and trip over my foot. But I till fall over to my right. My left leg is the one messed up. I started the new meds last night. So, if I get my sodium up and potassium up, my bp will go up and I will stable out? I was skin removal at the end of this year and don't want it to cause me to not have the surgery.

As far as how I lost the weight...I still try to keep my calories under 1000 a day. I've had grape Gatorade for the past month. I crave it ...I guess because of the sodium I'm missing. I stalled for almost a month until yesterday. I started drinking chocolate Muscle Milk two days ago for Breakfast and sometimes for lunch and eat what ever I want at night. My stomach is still small and I can't eat a lot. Up until I messed up my left and foot,, I was always on the go..I have a sit down data entry job so I dont get up much during the day but when I get home, I hardly sit. Weekends, I spend window shopping and trying on clothes for fun. This morning I woke up to 203. Its been 205-209 for a month. Hopeful I'll be under 200 and in Onederland by Easter. I don't drink colas at all. Sometimes unsweetened tea with sweet n low. If I have alcohol, its about once a month and is a "sample" from Olive Garden for 25 cents. Its all I need and satisfies me. I am so surprised and excited and how much I have lost and how fast. I don't think its any certain secret but each person is different in losing.

I went to an "herb" remedies guy about two weeks ago. Some people call him a quack because he believes in herb instead of medications. As soon as I sit in front of him, he drew a picture of my legs without me saying anything. He asked my name and I explained the drop foot. He instantly drew 6 dots on the picture. Thee on my leg leg inside calf and 4 on my abdomen. He said I have 6 blood clots. I freaked immediately. He said nothing to worry about. That my heart rate is up due to the heart trying to pump past them. My BP is down due to the same thing. My drop foot on my right leg is from the same since the blood clots mess with nerve. He put me on Vitamin E oil..they are in a get cap and I bite into it and spit out the gel caplet. He said it would dissolve the blood clots. I've been on the Vitamin E for two weeks and can lift my drop foot up and down when I'm not putting weight on it. He said it could take up to two months. My doctors back home are skeptical but everyone that goes to him say he has always been 100% on the nose and corrected their problem. He told my mom she had internal bleeding....next week, she went to the dr and has a bleeding ulcer which they fixed that week. His name is Bruce Joneshill from Rosebud, Arkansas. I do believe he is the real thing. He prays before he tells you what is going on. He is a Christian.

My BP still runs around 85/55. My family dr thinks its dehydration. So, I'm taking the advice of both, taking the Vitamin E and drinking more Water.