Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Users: More Calories = Weight Loss Could be a coincidence...?

I was at 800 calories per day and losing very slowly - 25 lbs 8 weeks post-op. The NP was concerned that 800 was too low and asked me to try upping it. I protested but I told her I would try it for a week and see what happens. I've doing about 1000 calories the last few days and I've lost 2 lbs. Could be just a coincidence but I haven't lost 2 lbs in 3 days since week 1 post-op -- it is usually 1 lb at a time (over days -- sometimes a week)

My main concern was gaining if I upped to 1000 so this is a relief.

~Dana

definitely not a concidence. some people need more calories to keep their bodies from moving into "starvation mode."

sometimes it just takes some experimenting to find that sweet spot.

I have to eat more in order to lose. When I restrict I stall and don't lose any weight. I've been eating 5-6 meals a day, drinking about 100oz of Fluid, getting in 80+grams of Protein, and doing moderate exercise. I've been losing steadily since I've figured out that I should be eating more. I don't eat high calorie stuff or slider foods but I eat until I'm full (not stuffed) and so far it's been working great.

I have to eat more in order to lose. When I restrict I stall and don't lose any weight. I've been eating 5-6 meals a day, drinking about 100oz of Fluid, getting in 80+grams of Protein, and doing moderate exercise. I've been losing steadily since I've figured out that I should be eating more. I don't eat high calorie stuff or slider foods but I eat until I'm full (not stuffed) and so far it's been working great.

What do you think your daily calories are?

Im a slow loser so im going to give this a try for 2-3 days as of today and ill post again on Monday. Wish me luck!!!!

I have been seeing that pattern in these forums over and over. Something I will keep in mind when I hit that.

When I was keeping track of calories which I do sometimes but it's pretty rare I was eating about 1400 cals but myfitnesspal would take into account that I breastfeed and exercise regularly, so my total cals would equal about 200 some days but that's only after you subtract exercise and breastfeeding. On days when I don't exercise I get in 1400 cals. but then MFP subtracts 300 for breastfeeding and it averages out to about 1100 cals.

The thing that stalled my weight loss was when I would go very negative, meaning when I would eat about 500 cals and then exercise and be at a 1000+ calorie deficit. Now I've learned to fuel my workouts and not starve myself. I thought I needed to eat 700 cals or less to lose but that doesn't work for my body and I just stall. Sometimes you have to feed your body in order to lose the weight :) counting cals stresses me out and I find myself restricting and becoming obsessed......not good!. My NUT also doesn't want us counting cals and to focus on the plate method. When I don't count cals I actually lose because I'm focusing on what my body needs, instead of focusing on the number of calories that *I think* I should be eating. I'm just rambling on and on lol. I also feel restriction with carbs. I can eat about 2-3 oz of Protein at a time, so about 1 chicken wing or 1 drumstick and that's it.....I'm full.

It really just depends from person to person. I will say that I had the dreaded "week three stall" that LASTED 2.5 weeks and I got fed up - for two days I blew my calories and carbs off the charts and it did seem to kick me out of whatever the hell that was and I lost a pound.

Could be a coincidence I'm inclined to think it had something to do with hormonal issues based on how I was feeling, but I can't prove that.

I also think there is a section of the sleeve population that calls themselves slow losers but really, they underestimate how many calories they are actually eating on a daily basis.

You know the type, you look at their diary on MFP and they might list that they had 4oz baked chicken breast but they don't list ANY Condiments or anything that they had with it and you just think to yourself "really, you ate that with NOTHING on it or with it?"

Not saying that it couldn't happen, and I would never really call someone out on that because I feel like it's unfair because I don't know them or know what they really do or not, but it does make you wonder, ya know what I mean?

When I did track on MFP I wouldn't add Condiments either but I did weigh my food. It all came back to being obsessive which has never helped me shed the weight in the past and I definitely don't expect to realistically be a calorie counter for the rest of my life. My NUT has me doing what is similar to intuitive eating but yet I still follow basic rules like eating Protein first, not drinking with meals, not drinking caffeinated or carbonated beverages, getting in 80+ grams of protein, exercise, drink lots of fluids, etc. For my obsessive personality this is all that I can handle. She also stresses to me that it's not a diet and not to fall back into my old yo yo dieting habits. That's probably why I'm rarely on this website anymore. Peoples post tend to trigger me into my unhealthy ways of thinking about food and I'm in a good place, so I'm probably gonna go back to lurking or abstaining :)

Im a slow loser so im going to give this a try for 2-3 days as of today and ill post again on Monday. Wish me luck!!!!

So i gave it a try like i said. Im down 2 pounds BUT i also drank my BP pill yesterday that i havent drank in a week so it made me pee alot yesterday. Sooooo really not sure if i lost Water weight from yesterday pee fest or its weight from upping food. Ill eat normal the rest of the week and do this upping thing on friday if i see no lose frim normal eating routin.

Well, I haven't lost any wt in a week or so. I am 4 weeks out and have hit that dreaded 2 week stall. I don't think I am getting enough calories. So maybe I should up my food. I started getting my long walks in a couple of days ago and nothing on the scale. As a matter of fact I was up 1 lb today....not giving up. Just going forward. My Protein isn't quite up to 80+ the last couple of days have been 50 - 60 gm protein...fluid intake is great. I started soft foods today so hopefully my Protein will increase.

Any advice is appreciated.

Slow Loser Update:

9 weeks post-op and I finally reached -30 lbs!!

I upped my calories 10 days ago and I've lost about 5 or 6 lbs. That is the most I've lost in that time frame since my first 10 days after surgery. Now, I'm still hesitant to declare the reason for the those 5 lbs is the increased calories -- but that is the only thing I've done differently. It could be that it just coincided with a regular "jump" down.....I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and hope it continues....

~Dana

That's great news Dana !! Did you just add an extra snack or!!

Hey Laura,

You know, I don't always stick to the 3 meals a day and 2 Snacks thing. Sometimes I just eat small bites of something every few hours with a few Snacks thrown in. Like today, I never really had a "meal" except for my morning Protein shake. I just would take 2 or 3 small bites of chicken/egg salad I had in the fridge throughout the day. I'm not meticulously counting calories right now --- it's sort of a guesstimate. My husband grilled pork ribs tonight and I had one of those, which was awesome. I tried to eat one a few weeks back and it was too heavy but today it was fine. I'll probably have a low carb brownie with some tea in a few minutes. I'm probably averaging about 1000 calories now.

I do think I do much better when the daytime routine is simple. A Protein Shake and an Atkins bar for lunch or a few bites of Protein.

Here is the link for the brownie mix in case anyone is interested. They're pretty good....

http://www6.netrition.com/universal_lowcarb_brownie_mix_page.html

Ok I'm going to try. I've gone up to 700 the last few days and last night it was almost 800.. I feel so stuck maybe tomorrow I will try closer to 900.

Lol why does 900 scare us 0_o