Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

Hey Everyone!

I had my surgery yesterday and I am doing ok. Surgery was at 7:30 am (5:30 arrival time - yikes). They did some x-rays around noon and my friend took me home at 1:30.

I still feel like I have been kicked in the stomach but it is not too bad. Last night I took a walk around the block trying to get rid of the gas pains. I have a sharp gas pain under my left breast that I had thought gone away but is back.

I'll write more later...

Congratulations Kathy! Get some rest, and let us know how you are doing.

Well everyone, I can barely believe it. I cross over into band-land tomorrow morning. It has been a LONG and eventful journey to this point. I'm starting to grow nervous...along with my excitement.

How are my band-day buddies doing? What time are your surgeries? Mine is supposed to be at 9 am.

I've got to take a bottle of Magnesium Citrate, now. Just lovely. I thought I could wait until around 2pm, when I get home today. But, when I reread the instructions, it said that I have to take it at 10am. I'll still be at work for the next 3 hours. Guess I'll be spending that time near the restroom...

Good luck to all this weeks bandsters. Hope you do great. I can't wait for my turn. I am interested in the Protein Powder. What is a good brand? I am a chocolate lover.

Good luck to all this weeks bandsters. Hope you do great. I can't wait for my turn. I am interested in the Protein powder. What is a good brand? I am a chocolate lover.

I haven't even really had any Protein Drinks. I get my protein through my regular diet. I have Spiru-tein, by Nature's Plus, at home. I have tried the chocolate Peanut Butter and love it.

Well, I just got a call from the sleep study center and I do have sleep apnea, it is not severe, but I do have it. She said anything over 5 occurances in an hour is considered need for treatment, mine was an average of 11. Over 30 is considered severe. So mine was considered mild/moderate. I have to go back tonight for another sleep study test with the machine. She said she won't have the results for that until Monday. They did say that they would not delay my surgery. So I was happy about that.

I'm feeling a little bummed too. But, I'm excited about getting something that will help me sleep better, and let me wake up feeling refreshed. Also, I hear it helps you lose weight. :huggie:

Oh enterprise01 - I am really sorry to hear about your grandma. It is hard to loose someone no matter how old they are.

And I know exactly what you mean about thinking of the clothes/funeral and weight controlling every aspect of your life.

Hang in there!

Thanks, Kathy.

Please keep us posted on your recovery. I really hope the pain subsides quickly for you.

Well, I just got a call from the sleep study center and I do have sleep apnea, it is not severe, but I do have it. She said anything over 5 occurances in an hour is considered need for treatment, mine was an average of 11. Over 30 is considered severe. So mine was considered mild/moderate. I have to go back tonight for another sleep study test with the machine. She said she won't have the results for that until Monday. They did say that they would not delay my surgery. So I was happy about that.

I'm feeling a little bummed too. But, I'm excited about getting something that will help me sleep better, and let me wake up feeling refreshed. Also, I hear it helps you lose weight. :huggie:

I was bummed when I got the diagnosis too, but since then I've changed my view because I feel so much better.

In your case, it's true that you'll feel better having the apnea treated, but it's also true that you'll probably be able to get rid of the machine fairly quickly once you lose weight with the band.

One other thing I want to mention again (I think I mentioned it before). If you go to your next sleep study and you find that they want to give you a big mask that is uncomfortable and claustrophobic, just remember that there are numerous other options for masks out there. The one I use, the "Swift," is small and sits lightly under your nose. So don't worry about that. For all I know, these days they use these lighter masks in the sleep studies. When I did it a few years ago, I felt a bit like a disabled hockey goalie when I had my sleep study.

But the main point is, we'll probably be done with these in no time anyway when the weight starts to come off.

I had to have a pulmunary function test. It takes about an hour to an hour and 1/2. You are placed in a glass cubicle and asked to breath into a tube with your nose plugged. The gal had me hold for periods and blow out and pant and all kinds of breathing things to see how your lungs do. It was a little weird having my nose plugged, I guess I am a nose breather, but other than that its not a big deal. Just another hoop to jump through. I got mine scheduled pretty quickly. Good Luck.

Renee

Hey everyone,

It took me a while to catch up with all of the posts since Monday.

I had my surgery on Tuesday morning at 7:30a.m. - it went very well, the Doctor said my liver was okay so I guess I didn't cheat too bad on my pre-op, I actually was kind of paranoid about it so I made the last day all liquid even though I didn't have to.

I'm sore at my incision ports when I get up from laying down or do too much - I was constantly sore where my port is until I figured out that my droopy left breast was laying on top of the incision. I'm now wearing a bra so I don't have that problem.

I enjoyed the stomach symphony for the first time this morning - I had some major gurgling going on!!! I'm on Clear Liquids until tomorrow - I'm not hungry at all - it just all feels kind of weird.

Glad to hear everyone is doing okay - good luck to those joining us in band land!

Later,

Amy

Well, I let my HR and Benefits department know today; and I prefilled my disability claim for the time I'm out of the office. Pre-Admission called me from my hospital as well. So this is really it! Just a bit more than two weeks away!

Now...what will my last supper be?????? lol:eek:

How are my band-day buddies doing? What time are your surgeries? Mine is supposed to be at 9 am.

I've got to take a bottle of Magnesium Citrate, now. Just lovely. I thought I could wait until around 2pm, when I get home today. But, when I reread the instructions, it said that I have to take it at 10am. I'll still be at work for the next 3 hours. Guess I'll be spending that time near the restroom...

I get banded in the morning at 9:30!! I can't wait. I didn't have to do anything to get ready except a "modified" Atkins diet. They want me to drink 2 large glasses of Water before I go to bed. It's not like I'll sleep anyway!:clap2: I'm loving the countdown!

Carole

I have to be in at 5:30. The roads are horrible (ice) but I will leave at 3am if I have to.

I am on clear liquids today and no bowel prep or anything tonight. I probably won't sleep much either. I am excited and starting to get nervous.

Good Luck everyone.

Renee

sleep??? What's sleep? !? LOL

I'm home. I'm handling the prep fairly well. All I can say is, at least I'm home.

Good luck to everyone. If I don't get a chance to post again today, I'll see you on the losing side. :huggie:

I am still feeling ok. I have had some Soup today and a Protein shake.

My mouth is REALLY DRY even though I keep sipping Water. I would recommend y'all get some mints or candies to suck on. My dr said gum is not so good the first few days as it can cause air/gas.

On the ride home from the hospital I was feeling kind of nauesous (sp?). The hospital had given me some alcohol strips to smell which definitely helped. The dr had given me a prescription for some anti-nausea pills but I left them at home. I wish I had taken 1 with me to the hospital. I took 1 when I came home and haven't felt sick since.

In the hospital I started doing the deep breathes to clear my lungs of the anthesia right away. I really think it helps because I didn't feel groggy in the afternoon.

It's good to hear everyone is doing well so far. I will keep you posted...