Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

Hey all.

I went for my cardiac tests in December, Nuclear Stress, EEG, so on and so forth. Dr. B (the cardiologist) wanted me back in his office on 1/10 to read me the results. They don't have late hours, so that means more time off work. I called the office and asked if he could just call me on the phone for results, since I knew I'd be out of the office upcoming. Sure enough, he called me, all was fine. He said "You'll have your clearance". GREAT, right? No…not so 'right'. Turns out I called the office last week, as I've been feeling a bit dizzy or lightheaded. I've gotten on some more meds the last month or so - and was also taking some OTC meds for a sinus infection. No biggie, right? WRONG! The nurse went onto tell me that I won't be able to have surgery on 1/30 until he give me clearance. Huh? I called my surgeon - and sure as anything - the doctor NEVER mailed in my clearance. So now they have me by the 'b*lls' (you know what I mean). So NOW…I have to take time off of work tomorrow - anyway…to go into see the doctor. He wants to take my vitals. If all is good, I'll have the clearance. The kicker is this: the nurse told me that the clearance was in my file - just never mailed!!!!!!!!!!! I am livid! I know he's just trying to 'save his butt'…but come on!!!!!!! So now, I have to wonder if my Tuesday surgery will happen or not. I'm sick over it. BTW, I stopped the OTC pills - and haven't been dizzy at all.

I am so sorry- that is terrible.

I'm 7 days post-op and still fairly miserable. I had severe nausea and lots of dry heaves for the first 24 hours post-op and had difficulty waking up from the anesthesia. I started back on solid food 3 days after surgery and that has really helped me get my strength back. I'm not feeling any restriction, though. My belly is still bloated, my incisions are sore, I've got a lovely rash from the band-aids, and I can't stop burping, which is amusing my boyfriend to no end. Putting my socks on in the morning is a Herculean task. I can't wait to feel normal again.

Sounds like a lot of other bandsters are doing better than me, so that's good. I was hoping that this surgery would not be any worse than my tubal ligation, but it is. This surgery has completely knocked me on my ass.

How long 'til the sutures dissolve and the incisions heal up? I'm having to wear the same pair of sweat pants to work every day (and sweats are not allowed), so I'm anxious to get back in regular clothes. But right now, I can't imagine wearing anything with a real waistband because of the incisions. How has everyone else dealt with that issue?

I know exactally how you feel i am so full of burps and pain as well i cant even where my "fat" cloths because of how swollen i still am. when you said you went to solid food what kind did you mean because i still get really weak and have bad nausea as well, I hope you get to feeling better soon and we have to keep telling our selves it will be worth it i hope :)

[/font][/size]

How long 'til the sutures dissolve and the incisions heal up? I'm having to wear the same pair of sweat pants to work every day (and sweats are not allowed), so I'm anxious to get back in regular clothes. But right now, I can't imagine wearing anything with a real waistband because of the incisions. How has everyone else dealt with that issue?

Hey, you will be feeling better really soon. Dr. Spivak did my surgery too, on Jan. 8th. I think my regular fat clothes began to fit again about 10 days after surgery. By then most, but not all, of the swelling had gone down. After 2 weeks your incision will be mostly healed. Today is 2-1/2 weeks post-op for me and my incisions are completely healed, but I still have a couple faded bruises.

I was surprised at how much swelling I did have and think that had a lot to do with trouble putting on shoes and bending forward to do other things.

Hope to hear you are improving each day.

[/font][/size]

That is exactly why I couldnt watch the video of a lapband in progress. I could not get past the whole dr standing between my legs while I was naked. It was just too much for me! yes, you are naked! sherilyn.

Where do you get that coffee, babygotback?

I did watch a video of the surgery, and the doctor was NOT standing between the patients legs. I found the video interesting. At the web site for or-live there are several lap band surgeries to choose from. Here is a link for the one I watched:

http://www.or-live.com/atlanticare/1710/

This is probably the silliest question, and I would THINK the obvious answer is 'yes'….but under our hospital gowns, do we go into surgery without panties?

Just asking, since someone said the doctor operates from between our legs. I guess I was just starting to get my creepy, freaky thoughts. Like 'what would my boyfriend think'! lolol :biggrin1:

They give you a paper type underwear. My surgeon did not do the surgury between my legs as I hear is for some. I was in a gurney, strapped down for my safety. One doctor on one side and the other doctor on the other side.

THANK GOD!!!! Cuz I wouldn't have liked being spread eagle and passed out!!!

That is exactly why I couldnt watch the video of a lapband in progress. I could not get past the whole dr standing between my legs while I was naked. It was just too much for me! yes, you are naked! sherilyn.

Where do you get that coffee, babygotback?

You can check it out on ganoexcel.com

I actually was buying it from a friend who would go get it at the warehouse in Irwindale, CA. To make things easier on myself since she couldn't always get me my product, I asked for an autoship option to send it to my house. I signed up as a rep. but just to get the discount for myself. I haven't sold it to anyone before.

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all doing well. I had a few days of some rough weather but I'm doing better now. The first few days weren't fun. Trying to get in the Protein and Water can be quite a challenge. Does anyone know of a Protein Powder that doesn't have a lot of taste. I thought I was doing pretty well until I talked to my nutritionist and I'm not using enough protein powder. I have been using about a tablespoon of powder and I need to use a big scoop... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sue

I bought nectar Protein Drinks from bariatriceating.com They taste fruity, but they have so many more options you can look at.

The Fuzzy Navel tastes like Tang!!!

Add me to your Janury list! Banding on 1/30 in Providence with Dr. Roye. Starting to get nervous, but really ready! Kim

Welcome!!!! Let us know how you are doing?

Hello Ladies (and gentlemen)

I have been lurking around for the last month reading and educating myself as much as possible. Am scheduled for Jan 31 and am finally feeling like this will really happen. I also paid today and that definitely made it more real. (I am self pay)

As far as the position is concerned, you are covered by a drape, so nothing is really exposed to the world. But your right, it is weird. If your unconscious you won't know anyway. That's what I keep in my mind. As far as I am concerned they could stand me on my head, if this will work for me.

For those having problems getting enough Protein, I recently ordered some New Whey Liquid Protein from bariatriceating.com. It has 25 gms of protein in 2.9 ounces and taste like Jello shots. (non alcoholic). I have a supply for right after surgery because I figure I can get the 2.9 ounces down a couple of times a day to keep my protein intake up.

Hoping that it will work for me until I can move on to more solid food. My surgeon lets us start soft foods in 48 hrs, but I have a supply of protein powder, just in case. I have ordered a set of protein samples from Unjury, as a number of people have recommended it.

Finally beginning to get excited.

FYI, I have learned so much from reading this thread. Glad I will get to be one of the January gang. Even if just barely.

Welcome!!! You are lucky!! I had liquids for 3 weeks! I can barely have solids/mushies till Saturday!!!

Drinking lots of liquids very frequently helped me stay satisfied.

I'm 7 days post-op and still fairly miserable. I had severe nausea and lots of dry heaves for the first 24 hours post-op and had difficulty waking up from the anesthesia. I started back on solid food 3 days after surgery and that has really helped me get my strength back. I'm not feeling any restriction, though. My belly is still bloated, my incisions are sore, I've got a lovely rash from the band-aids, and I can't stop burping, which is amusing my boyfriend to no end. Putting my socks on in the morning is a Herculean task. I can't wait to feel normal again.

Sounds like a lot of other bandsters are doing better than me, so that's good. I was hoping that this surgery would not be any worse than my tubal ligation, but it is. This surgery has completely knocked me on my ass.

I just wore loose draw string pants.

I am sorry you are uncomfortable, but it gets better!!!

[/font][/size]

Hi there!

I met with the Dr. today. My cold is better, so everything is a go so far. I'll get my band tomorrow at 1:45!

Okay, I received great news today. I passed all the pre-op tests and I am first in line for my surgery on Tuesday morning!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: I believe the nurse had me upset yesterday because my blood pressure was 124 over 82 yesterday and 110 over 72 today. Also, no skipped heartbeats. Perfect EKG today. She didn't make me feel very good when she tried to scare me yesterday and I was so happy today. I started my pre-op diet today (my own decision) and I am doing well so far. I am looking forward to finally joining everyone here in band land!!

Good evening everyone...I hope everyone is well or on their way there...My good thoughts and prayers are with all of you!! keep up the awesome posts...I'm right behind everyone!!!:clap2:

I had to share this "new" recipe i came up with...

I call it Cold vanilla Chai

8-12 oz of light vanilla soy milk COLD (thanks Audrey)

1 or 2 scoops of the whey Protein (I use EAS vanilla flavored)

a teaspoon of honey

a couple drops of vanilla

a sprinkle of cinnamon

and a tiny pinch of ginger...

mix VERY WELLLLL

and a little more cinnamom on top and enjoy!!!!!!

IT WAS REALLLLYYYY GOOODDDD!!!!!

i had a few crackers with it..good stuff...

Let me know what you all think if you try it...

when you said you went to solid food what kind did you mean because i still get really weak and have bad nausea as well, I hope you get to feeling better soon and we have to keep telling our selves it will be worth it i hope :)

Three days post-op, I started eating applesauce, cottage cheese mixed with ricotta, eggs, yogurt, and polenta. On day 4, I was eating grilled salmon and asparagus, which I've been having every night for dinner since. The asparagus is going down fine, but tonight the salmon feels kind of stuck -- sort of a pinching sensation. It's funny, because the doc's instructions say no meat but fish is fine. I've had a few Nutrisystem meals with beef, chicken, and ham in them and had no problems. For lunch in the past week, I've had Nutrisystem chicken salad, whipped sweet potatoes with cheese, chocolate chip Cookies, and Fettuccini alfredo. No problems with any of those.

I just can't stick to a liquid diet. I haven't found a Protein Drink that I think is even tolerable, and if it doesn't taste good, I'm not going to eat/drink it. The solid food agrees with me much more.

If you're still having nausea, try drinking a lot of ice cold Water. That helped me a lot. You're right -- we have to keep telling ourselves that it will be worth it.