Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what shall I expect?!?!

Hello all, I have done my orientation, my insurance approved the surgery. Have my first visit to meet the surgeon, what shall I expect after my first visit?

Well, I had this same question and it depends on your surgeon and where you are at in the process. Doctors usually have pre-op testing they need, but I had it done before I met with my surgeon. All I did was go over the surgical procedure, sign the informed consent about the good, bad, and ugly and go over diet, schedule surgery, and questions I had. That was it, no exam or anything from my doc because I already did the physical, stress test, psych, nut, etc.

My process was a bit different. I verified that my insurance benefits covers WLS, then I scheduled an appointment with a surgeon that I felt is very reputable. My first appointment with him was on February 1st, where I was given by his staff a list of pre-op requirements from my insurance. The requirements consisted of one appointment with a nutritionist, a psychological evaluation, and clearance from my pcp. All of this was on a Friday. The next week, I had my pcp tests done on Monday, my nutritionist consult on Tuesday, and my psych eval on Thursday. The insurance coordinator sent all my info to my insurance company the next Monday and I was approved this past Monday. My surgeon's office wanted to schedule me for March 4th, but I went ahead and went with April 8th, as March 4th would've only made 31 days since I started the entire process and wouldn't have given me enough time to do what I need to do. I have a 2 year old son so my mom is traveling from out of state to help care for him for a month while I recover. My husband is taking off the first week so we'll have an extra set of hands. It can happen very quickly. I wish I would've known to have been completely prepared sooner. :)

My process was pretty easy. My insurance approved the surgery then I made an appointment with two different surgeons who I couldn't choose between. I had one clear winner I chose to be my surgeon.

The first appointment they weigh you and talk about how you eat and exercise. They explain the whole procedure and what to expect. You can ask heaps of questions etc.

Then I had blood tests, X-ray, ultra sound and an ECG. Then it was surgery time!

I met with my surgeon. He explained all the different WLS and told me I needed to pick the one I felt was for me. After that, I had to meet with a NUT once a month for six months. Insurance approved me and then I did the PAT and got clearance from my PCP.

Yep, pretty much. Before I left my surgeon's office for my consult, I asked the insurance coordinator, "So, basically how quickly I have this surgery depends on how pro-active I am with scheduling my appointments?" and she said, "Yep, exactly!" So, a lot of it all depends on how fast you start and continue to keep the bariatric ball rollin'. :)

Do you know what your insurance requires yet?

My insurance has already approved it, so I have already done my weight loss attempts for over 2 years and that was all recorded.... Not sure

See, every doc is different...and I also think it depends on your insurance. Mine doesn't even submit to insurance for surgery authorization until after your first surgical consult and in-house NUT visit. They verified benefits ahead of time, but don't submit for approval until then.

My process after that is to wait for the approval and then they will schedule all of my pre-ops and my final pre-op surgical consult in one day - I will have an EGD, chest/abdominal x-ray, EKG, and a boatload of labs done that day. I did my psych eval and PCP visit (for referral and TSH labs) on my own prior to the consult, so they requested those afterward.