Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Paleo after surgery?

I was wondering if there are any paleo sleevers out there? Paleo is very low carbohydrate and high Protein. I got a couple of cookbooks and crockpot recipes. I thinking more of getting my family to eat this way so in the long run I wont be making separate meals.

When my sister did strict paleo, her cholesterol went through the roof after 6 months.... Just something to watch.

When my sister did strict paleo' date=' her cholesterol went through the roof after 6 months.... Just something to watch.[/quote']

I've heard that can happen and it also can with Atkins. I came across an article and found it interesting. I want to find an easy way to feed my family food they will like, we can all enjoy, but is also low carb and low sugar for me.

http://paleononpaleo.com/paleo-gastric-bypass/

I dont specifically do paleo or Atkins but during weight loss I basically eat meat. I get less than 20 carbs a day and at min 70 Protein. Google cholesterol being high during weight loss. There are several great articles about it. Basically when you lose weight quickly.. your cholesterol will sometimes go up.. when your weight loss stabalizes it goes back to normal.

My Chiro and surgeon recommend paleo

Sent from my iPhone using VST

My surgeon advocates for a paleo diet. He swears by it.

I like it, I just can't live without cheese and milk

Other than that its great!

I think I do a version of paleo. Given the small amount we can eat, I think your cholesterol would be ok.

By the time I get my Protein in it doesn't leave much room for anything else.

I'll have some non starchy veg. A green smoothie every couple of days.

I never eat bread or Pasta due to lack of interest. I'll have a small amount of rice infrequently.

I was wondering if there are any paleo sleevers out there? Paleo is very low carbohydrate and high Protein. I got a couple of cookbooks and crockpot recipes. I thinking more of getting my family to eat this way so in the long run I wont be making separate meals.

How's it going? When u say very low carb..... What does that mean for u?

How's it going? When u say very low carb..... What does that mean for u?

So I am "Team Low Carb". I followed 600 - 800 calories/less than 40 carbs/more than 60 prot/more than 64 oz Fluid a day. My carbs were usually under 20 and I consumed about 600 calories a day. I was never hungry because I basically at meat for every meal and snack. For me, low carb is the way to go. I had a lot of weight to lose and I wanted to take the easiest/fastest route possible. Staying "on plan" 98% of the time I reached "goal" in about 11 months. In that 11 months I lost 201 lbs and now have a bmi of 22. I think I started at 52 or 54...something crazy high. Once I reached goal... I have been adding carbs and calories back into my diet. I think, compared to most, I will always stay pretty low carb. Low carb makes me feel the best and works well with the prot first rule.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the Paleo lifestyle, cookbooks and blogs and what hollirrose just stated my plan is to follow a low carb, high Protein diet. Paleo is all about the protein and the carbs are from vegetables, berries and nuts. I love cheese though, but I'm incorporating almond milk in my diet and limiting my cheese intake. Even my surgeon in his guidelines would like his patients to stop drinking milk, but he is okay with Greek yogurt because of the high protein and good flora for the gut. My surgeon said that people do better weight loss wise after bariatric surgery with a high protein diet, so I'm going to follow his advice.

So I am "Team Low Carb". I followed 600 - 800 calories/less than 40 carbs/more than 60 prot/more than 64 oz Fluid a day. My carbs were usually under 20 and I consumed about 600 calories a day. I was never hungry because I basically at meat for every meal and snack. For me' date=' low carb is the way to go. I had a lot of weight to lose and I wanted to take the easiest/fastest route possible. Staying "on plan" 98% of the time I reached "goal" in about 11 months. In that 11 months I lost 201 lbs and now have a bmi of 22. I think I started at 52 or 54...something crazy high. Once I reached goal... I have been adding carbs and calories back into my diet. I think, compared to most, I will always stay pretty low carb. Low carb makes me feel the best and works well with the prot first rule.[/quote']

Wow thank you! Did u say 201?? In 11 mo!! That is very incredible!! What an accomplishment!! Your a role model true and true!! Can I ask what size/weight u were and are?

I'm 7.5 weeks out- Monday will be 2 months and I'm 273 I started at 317! I'm 5'5"! I was a tight... Not really fitting anymore.... Size 26 now I'm in a comfy 24 very very tight 22! Oh and I'm 32!

Your such an inspiration-- how many times a day did u eat! I wanna be like u ;)

Wow thank you! Did u say 201?? In 11 mo!! That is very incredible!! What an accomplishment!! Your a role model true and true!! Can I ask what size/weight u were and are?

I'm 7.5 weeks out- Monday will be 2 months and I'm 273 I started at 317! I'm 5'5"! I was a tight... Not really fitting anymore.... Size 26 now I'm in a comfy 24 very very tight 22! Oh and I'm 32!

Your such an inspiration-- how many times a day did u eat! I wanna be like u ;)

Love eating Paleo post op (really got serious about 3 weeks ago).

No issues with not eating dairy products or sugar. I like eating non processed, animal Protein and leafy veggies (supplement with Vitamins and green drinks). Energy levels are high enough from this diet to go hard core on exercise and training.

I ate under 20 carbs for most of weight loss phase (180 lb down) so it provided me with plenty of time to prepare for paleo style of eating.

Eating clean is absolutely necessary (I think) to exercise and train at optimal levels. Helps resolve many medical and mental issues (including focus and concentration).

Love eating Paleo post op (really got serious about 3 weeks ago).

No issues with not eating dairy products or sugar. I like eating non processed' date=' animal Protein and leafy veggies (supplement with Vitamins and green drinks). Energy levels are high enough from this diet to go hard core on exercise and training.

I ate under 20 carbs for most of weight loss phase (180 lb down) so it provided me with plenty of time to prepare for paleo style of eating.

Eating clean is absolutely necessary (I think) to exercise and train at optimal levels. Helps resolve many medical and mental issues (including focus and concentration).[/quote']

Wow awesome! So no yogurt or cottage cheese or cheese? ?

Wow awesome! So no yogurt or cottage cheese or cheese? ?

No yogurt or cottage cheese here. I have not had dairy products since deciding to go paleo ( had cottage cheese up to a few weeks ago and no yogurt since pre surgery). Diet is really earthy( by design) and it is working well so far. I do have energy squares, but these are organic and made with raw foods ( not sure if it qualifies as paleo or not). I cut out Protein bars a couple days ago except Paleo bars. My food hunger is getting so much better after cutting out processed bars.