Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Step Closer - Just Ordered My First Protein Powders

My pre-op diet starts in like three weeks! Unbelievable. Just ordered my first trial-size Protein powders to get an idea of what I'll like before buying the big tubs of the stuff. It wasn't easy by any means. I have severe shellfish allergies, and most Protein powders are processed on equipment that also process/handle shellfish. I had to make phone calls for two days to find only two companies (Syntrax & About Time) that don't use iodine in their products or manufacture them on equipment that also processes my allergens.

So far I've ordered the sample packet of Matrix (flavors: bananas & cream, Cookies & cream, milk chocolate, mint cookie, orange cream, perfect chocolate, simply vanilla, and strawberry cream), a sample packet of nectar (flavors: apple ecstasy, Cappuccino, chocolate truffle, crystal sky, lemon tea, Roadside Lemonade, strawberry mousse, Twisted cherry, vanilla bean, double stuffed cookie, and caribbean cooler), and two packs from About Time Protein (flavors: banana, chocolate, strawberry, and mocha mint.)

I also ordered the vegetable Soup protein trial-size from Bariatric Advantage.

I'm curious to see how all these will taste. One step closer to the big day!

Have any of you ordered protein samples yet? If so, which ones have you liked?

Do you go the company site to order samples?

Do you go the company site to order samples?

I bought the About Time samples at their website. www.tryabouttime.com. The veggie Soup Protein came from Bariatric Advantage's site.

The Matrix sampler came from mybariatricpantry.com, and the nectar came from BJ's Bariatric. I forget that site link, but it'll come up if you google it.

You get to choose the flavors you want. I was thrilled.

My hands-down all time favorite is the Syntrax nectar chocolate Truffle. :) I'm sure you've read this already, but you might find that what you like pre-surgery changes after the surgery. I really liked to use a blender for the shakes during the pre-op diet. Afterwards, it was just too much foam. Now, however, (finally) I can drink a shake that was made in a blender. The Syntrax Matrix shakes seem kind of gritty to me if I make them in a Blender Bottle. The Syntrax Nectar shakes taste great either way. Using a Blender Bottle for the nectar shakes is good because there's WAY less foam. (I really like all of the "creamy" Nectar flavors. I had been hoping that their fruity drinks were more like well, fruity drinks. However some people REALLY like the fruity ones over the creamy, so that's great that you got some sample packs to try.) I just bought a box of 12 chocolate truffle shake packets to take on our trip to Puerto Rico. I figured that would be better than packing a whole bunch of snack-size baggies filled with a mysterious powder. ;-)

Kimberly

PS. That sure would be hard to have to do so much detective work to find out how items are processed. I'm allergic to shellfish, but not as severely as you. That's great that you've found some shakes that are safe.

I like the Syntrax nectar the best out of everything I've tried. I love the sample packs so that I can switch things up often.

But I always buy the big tub of the vanilla bean torte flavor. It tastes good, and I think it's the most versatile because I mix all sorts of flavorings into it...things like: unsweetened cocoa powder (why pay separately for chocolate shakes when I can make my own!), spoonful of instant coffee, PB2, flavor extracts (cocoa powder w/ mint extract yummy!), even spoonfuls of sugar free Jello or pudding mix powder!

My fave right now is blending the vanilla nectar w/ frozen raspberries and a spoonful of lime Jello powder. Tastes like rainbow sherbet yumm.

I never thought about the Protein powders being processed on equipment that also had shellfish exposure. I too have severe seafood allergy to the point of an unknowing exposure has sent me to the emergency room. I will also begin researching. I have been drinking pure Protein Drink from Walmart with no problem so far.

I never thought about the Protein powders being processed on equipment that also had shellfish exposure. I too have severe seafood allergy to the point of an unknowing exposure has sent me to the emergency room. I will also begin researching. I have been drinking pure Protein Drink from Walmart with no problem so far.

Pure Protein was one of the companies I contacted. They told me that the equipment they use also processes shellfish, but that their cleaning methods are rigorous so there is a slim to none chance of cross contamination. The same goes for Body Fortress, the other Protein Powder sold at Walmart. I just didn't want to take the risk, especially right after surgery when I'm healing.

I will order my powders and stop the Pure Protein. I have severe asthma as well as severe shellfish allergy. I am now concerned my recent increase with wheezing and shortness of breath instead of weather reactive could be due to the protein drink I have as Meal Replacement. I read on everything due to a reaction I had to a medication that had edible ink (squid ink). I contacted the manufacture and they stated it was such a small amount they were not concerned to list "if allergic to fish or shellfish do not use". I keep an epipen with me every where I go. Thanks for making your post!!!!!"

I went a little OCD with finding Protein powder samples... Hehe :)

I have a boxful but I'm trying to not try them till after surgery because I keep reading your taste buds change sometimes. I did buy a tube of unflavored Protein from unjury so I can add it to Soups, jellos and puddings early on.

I have 31 days until I get my sleeve and I too have been ordering Protein samples. i wasn't too thrilled with the flavor of the nectar in the fruity flavors, although the Twisted cherry was pretty good. My favorite, by far, are the Double Stuffed Cookie, chocolate Truffle, Cappucino, and Vanilla Bean Torte. I have ordered a container of each of these for preop and postop, so I hope my tastes dont change too much post surgery.......they are all good mixed in a Blender Bottle with Water or milk/soy milk.

I will order my powders and stop the Pure Protein. I have severe asthma as well as severe shellfish allergy. I am now concerned my recent increase with wheezing and shortness of breath instead of weather reactive could be due to the Protein Drink I have as Meal Replacement. I read on everything due to a reaction I had to a medication that had edible ink (squid ink). I contacted the manufacture and they stated it was such a small amount they were not concerned to list "if allergic to fish or shellfish do not use". I keep an epipen with me every where I go. Thanks for making your post!!!!!"

You're welcome. food allergies are serious business. I don't have to have an epipen, but I did end ended up in the ER not so long ago after eating food from a restaurant that was fried in the same oil as seafood. I even asked the restaurant beforehand if their cooking methods excluded what I was eating from where the seafood was cooked and they said yes. I was sooooo mad. I was baffled because I had never had an allergic reaction like that before. The ER doctor who treated me told me that food allergies can get worse as you get older. Since then I'm OCD about my allergies and check everything, even foods I eat all the time just to make sure something hasn't changed. Anaphylaxis is a terrifying thought.

You're welcome. food allergies are serious business. I don't have to have an epipen' date=' but I did end ended up in the ER not so long ago after eating food from a restaurant that was fried in the same oil as seafood. I even asked the restaurant beforehand if their cooking methods excluded what I was eating from where the seafood was cooked and they said yes. I was sooooo mad. I was baffled because I had never had an allergic reaction like that before. The ER doctor who treated me told me that food allergies can get worse as you get older. Since then I'm OCD about my allergies and check everything, even foods I eat all the time just to make sure something hasn't changed. Anaphylaxis is a terrifying thought.[/quote']

You should carry an epi pen with you if you have food allergies. Have your dr write you a prescription and keep the shot with you at all times.

Khloe, my surgery is the same date as yours, and I just recieved all my samples today! How funny! Great minds think alike! :) I got Chike, unjury, and nectar, and 4 bottles of Isopure. I have an egg allergy, but it's only when I actually ingest cooked/raw egg, like a scrambled egg or omlet. I don't have trouble if it's baked in something, so far. But...I got the samples so I can check now, before surgery.

Ditto on the epipen!!!! I developed food allergies later in life, and I keep mine w/ me at all times. My oldest has food allergies as well, so I keep two w/ me, just in case. You just can't be too careful!!!!! They make new ones w/ two shots in one pen, hoping to get those next time I get a refill.

Khloe, my surgery is the same date as yours, and I just recieved all my samples today! How funny! Great minds think alike! :) I got Chike, unjury, and nectar, and 4 bottles of Isopure. I have an egg allergy, but it's only when I actually ingest cooked/raw egg, like a scrambled egg or omlet. I don't have trouble if it's baked in something, so far. But...I got the samples so I can check now, before surgery.

Ditto on the epipen!!!! I developed food allergies later in life, and I keep mine w/ me at all times. My oldest has food allergies as well, so I keep two w/ me, just in case. You just can't be too careful!!!!! They make new ones w/ two shots in one pen, hoping to get those next time I get a refill.

MrsPiggleWiggle, I'm going to add you, if that's ok. We can be sleeve buddies! :)

Fantastic!!!!