Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about this... Considering Mexico/ Dr. Garcia

Alright. I feel semi-unmanly admitting this to the world, albeit anonymously... but I am very nervous about this procedure, and for many reasons. I am thinking that I will use Dr. Fernando Garcia in Tijuana and would love to hear from any of his former patients!!!

I know that ultimately it is the best thing for me to do. I am 24 years old, 5'10", 265 pounds and have struggled with my weight literally my entire life. My sister, who is 22, had gastric bypass and has had great success. She had the surgery and qualified with insurance due to her BMI. My BMI is around 38 and I am not going to qualify for insurance to pay it, according to every hospital I've talked to so far because I am healthy as a horse other than that.

Here's what I am nervous about, and some of it might sound stupid... But, I am nervous that the staples will come loose or something at some point. While I know that my family history of diabetes, stroke, heart attack, etc will kill me early if I do not have this surgery, but I'm nervous because there is no one who had the surgery 30 years ago who is in the 80's who can vouch for longevity of life post-op. I'm nervous that after 20 years or so the staples will just wear out and I will be sitting there flopping like a fish. I know that it's likely crazy, but that's my fear. Did anyone else have this fear pre-op?

Also, I am wondering how scars look 2-3 years post-op. Are they still visible? I REALLY appreciate any and all input!

I'm nervous! Thanks!

I had a friend of mine who went to Dr. Garcia in Mexico and he did a fantastic job. She has lost over 140 lbs since june and looks fantastic...

As far as the staple line, the staples are healed over and won't come out. They are very tiny indeed.......

Scars don't really bother me either......They are very small and will fade in time.....

Oh and BTW has anyone ever told you that your fears do lie to you. I'm a therapist and believe me, our fears do lie......we all have similar or the same fears and we did it anyways. The majority of us are happy and healthier and skinny to boot! :) Now it's still a lot of work on our parts too because the sleeve is just a tool...... :)

I had a friend of mine who went to Dr. Garcia in Mexico and he did a fantastic job. She has lost over 140 lbs since june and looks fantastic...

As far as the staple line' date=' the staples are healed over and won't come out. They are very tiny indeed.......

Scars don't really bother me either......They are very small and will fade in time.....

Oh and BTW has anyone ever told you that your fears do lie to you. I'm a therapist and believe me, our fears do lie......we all have similar or the same fears and we did it anyways. The majority of us are happy and healthier and skinny to boot! :) Now it's still a lot of work on our parts too because the sleeve is just a tool...... :)[/quote']

Wow well said. Thanks so much !!!

I was wondering how long it takes before you can lift something without worrying about busting something. Where is work I don't really lift heavy stuff but have to push on heavy things. I hate being a burden on my coworkers and I am very independent. So how does the soreness last? And how long til you feel your stomach has totally sealed without worrying about busting it open? (If that makes sense) lol.

TNSleever, I too did not qualify for covered surgery and spent months researching what procedure to have and doctors in MX. One thing I did that helped a lot was attended an informational seminar here in the states with a local bariatric center - they are free. I learned a lot about VSG that put my mind at ease with the procedure, and knew at least what the US surgeon's group would do (also my PCP wanted me to attend).

Like ms skinniness said, the staples heal over just like an external surgery wound would. So no worries there.

Your fears are totally normal. Fear and being worried is a response to any new, risky situation. The truth is that most of the time, for most people, this surgery goes off without a hitch. But not everyone is that lucky and complications happen. For me, the odds of a complication were worth it. And being 6+months post op, I've had no complications and this was the best thing I ever did. I can think back to my pre-op and worrying about problems with the ansethesia, having organs removed and sold on the black market, having drugs surgically put in my body to make me a drug mule, I worried about leaks, strictures, dying. I worried about it all. Lesson here is: Worrying is normal. 6 months from now you will have a whole new set of worries (like find smaller clothes!)

Also if you look up what medical stapling it, it would likely ease your mind to see how heavy duty it is. And Dr. Garcia was awesome. I stuck to my pre-op like a champ and when he made the first incision, my liver was so shrunk, he only needed 2 incisions to complete the procedure! He is a great surgeon!!