Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does protein intake the first 2 weeks affect hair loss later on?

My surgeon's educational materials state that consuming adequate Protein the first 2 weeks after surgery can affect/prevent Hair loss later on. Has anyone heard this before? It is definitely good motivation to try to get in the protein....lots of other good reasons too of course.

Didn't work for me at all. I'm losing handfuls of hair every day.

Didn't work for me at all. I'm losing handfuls of hair every day.

So sorry to hear, Delta Girl. I hope that it grows back soon. Your weight loss is awesome! I am taking Biotin and want to start a Biotin shampoo/conditioner, too, but so far the ones I have found contain animal products and I'm a vegetarian. I think Aveda has a new type out that is supposed to help with thinning hair, etc.

My surgeon's educational materials state that consuming adequate Protein the first 2 weeks after surgery can affect/prevent Hair loss later on. Has anyone heard this before? It is definitely good motivation to try to get in the protein....lots of other good reasons too of course.

Yes, I got this info from my surgeon, but after visiting my dermatologist, she said the hair loss is due to the weight loss shock to the system. I should preface that the hair loss does not happen to all and that you SHOULD make sure you get your daily protein in.

I made sure to get all my Protein in and still had hair loss...but it stopped after about three months and grew back. It's distressing, but at least it's temporary.

I met or exceeded my daily Protein intake, my Vitamin levels were fine, and even took preventative measures with Biotin and zinc.

I am still losing my hair. While that kind of sucks, because my hair was the one thing I was always proud of no matter how fat I got, I figure it's an okay trade.

I mean, let's be honest. At my highest weight of nearly 400, if someone had come to me with a razor and said "If you let me shave your head, you'll lose 100 pounds," I would have let them take it all anyway :D

What a wonderful way to look at it, Gamer.

Can you give us more information about the loss? Did it come out all the way to the root, leaving a bald area or just some strands that came out a little at a time making it thin for a while? I love my hair but like you, am willing to sacrifice it to the greater good - at least temporarily.

It's mostly just strands. When I wash my hair there will just be 15-20 strands that I can see and probably as many when I brush my hair later. It comes out at the root, but it's here and there. I'm not getting bald spots, just thinning hair.

It is my understanding that pretty much everyone who has this surgery is going to have some Hair loss because of the shock to the system. However it appears to be mostly a temporary thing and it comes back, that being said I believe the difference that comes from getting a higher Protein level early and supplementing with Biotin causes the hair to come back faster. Good Luck.

Bottom line is just follow your Drs guidelines as best as possible and just count on having Hair loss to some degree. I did it all. Protein, Biotin, Vitamins, exercise ... I was the picture of a perfect VSG patient. 6 months out, it started coming out. Like Darla, it lasted 3 months and then started coming back.

As Richard points out, it happens due to rapid weight loss. My guess is the flood of hormones contained within the fat which causes it, but again, that is merely speculation.

As TheGamer points out, I would have shaved plus a whole lot more to lose 100#. Even have 85% of my stomach removed!

My hair is somewhat thinner on top than it was initially, but it's not that noticeable, IMO. I've been the model VSG patient as well, getting in my Protein, Water, and Vitamins, yet still lost hair for several months. I don't see as much loose hair in the drain these days, so I don't worry about it too much. I just follow my routine and try not to stress over anything, especially hair. :)