Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new to even just thinking about the entire surgical weightloss options. I was hoping to find out what encouraged or motivated others to decide to finally go through with surgery. I still am struggling with the pros and cons of it all.

Hi RWHIT43,

I decided to pursue WLS because I felt like crud all-the-time. It effected me physically and emotionally and ruining my relationships all around me. It really felt like I was committing suicide very slowly.

The instant I made the decision to move forward with surgery, it was like a million ton rock lifted off of me and for the first time I had hope.

Best decision I've made for myself probably ever!

Thanks,

Kirk

I decided on wls when I realized that the more I dieted, the more my weight shot back up. It was a losing battle and I am not a loser. When I fell a second time 2 years ago I was told that I either needed to lose weight and stregthen my core or have another back surgery, at the time only in my 20s. That was it, I made the decision to look into this and not give up. I knew deep down over the years there was less and less that I could do. People stopped recognizing me and my sons friends made comments. I've struggled my entire life with my weight. I was miserable, but when i was told by my doctor lose weight or surgery, it was an easy choice. I will refer you to another thread on this site called something like what I will not miss about being overweight. That speaks to why everyone has decided this as an option. You can use the search function for it. Best of luck in your decision!

A few years back I told myself, ok...I'll try losing the weight ONE more time, and if it fails...THAT'S IT, I'm having the surgery. So I sort of 'scared myself straight' in losing it all...agaaain. But needless to say - I gained it all back...agaaain. (All 160lbs of it)

I realized I just can't do this anymore. I can't keep going through the wonderful high's of losing, only to crash and burn into the low's and disappointment of gaining it all back. So I literally said to myself, "Stop the ride, I want to get off."

I know I'm a 'professional dieter', and I can lose it all when I set my mind to it. But for me, it's just keeping it off that I need help with. My 'full switch' is broken, and I'm hoping to use this new tool as a way of retraining my brain to recognize when I'm full, and to be more likely to stop when I'm getting there. Also, my doctors have told me that my body just goes into panic mode when I'm at a lower weight...my bio-chemistry goes haywire, and I get hungry all the time and put on weight just by breathing!! lol. So there's the whole biology part working against me too.

I can totally relate about going through all the pro's and con's until it all jumbles together...I did it for over 6 months. But I think it's important to take your time through that phase, and to learn all you can from books, online, and those who've had the surgery....so that in the end, you'll know with your mind and your heart what is right for you (or not right for you). Good luck in whatever path you choose! And ask lots of questions on these boards! The folks on here are so awesome, and I couldn't have decided either way without them. :wub:

I know people who have had surgery and some had success and some have had major complications. I had looked into MGH's weight loss program as well as MetroWest's and Lahey Clinic. I am leaning towards Lahey if I decide to go that way just because I have gone there for other procedures and appointments and really had good experiences. I would love to know if other people have used the surgical team there and what they thought. I have struggled with weight for a long time and I feel this may be a great option for me but it also sometimes bugs me that I can't keep the weight off when dieting. Makes me feel like a failure. Which I am sure people can relate.

I had looked into MGH's weight loss program as well as MetroWest's and Lahey Clinic. I am leaning towards Lahey if I decide to go that way just because I have gone there for other procedures and appointments and really had good experiences. I would love to know if other people have used the surgical team there and what they thought.

Oh wow, didn't know you were from Beantown too! I've heard great things about both MGH & Lahey's programs. I chose Mount Auburn's Weight Mgmt Ctr in Waltham and they've been absolutely wonderful so far. We're lucky to have our pick of great hospitals.