Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Roadtrip. What do u eat?

Okay, so my husband and I took a road trip yesterday. Left pretty early, so I took all my Vitamins, and grabbed 1/2 banana. We got to our location about 5 1/2 hours later and my husband was starving as I was too. We were in the middle of nowhere so we picked a litte cafe. There was nothing on the menu I could eat! I ended up ordering a cup of clam chowder, had 3 or 4 bites and ate the 4 saltine crackers. I am only 5 weeks out, but I'm sure this homemade chowder was pretty fattening. I had no Protein this day. How you handle eating away from home? Maybe just pack my own food? Will I never be able to eat at a restaurant again?

I'm two and a half weeks out and have eaten out quite a few times since I'm a social butterfly and don't want to miss out just because I have a tiny stomach now. I usually order eggs (really, an egg), oatmeal, Soup (even though it may be fattening), non-fried soft fish, side of refried Beans (if lowfat) and that's about it so far. I'm sure as time goes on my menu options will expand, but at only 2.5 weeks it's enough to make me feel social! :) I'm curious to hear what others have to say...

I would have ordered all that kind of food too. But they quit serving Breakfast at 12, and they had none of your other items on the menu. Was gonna go for a tuna melt and just take off the bread, but they didn't even have that. At least I did have a few bites of really good clam chowder:)

I would of had the Soup and enjoyed it. You have to live. Maybe keep some back up foods.

I do not leave my house without having packed 3 little meals. I also pack 2 premier shakes 30 grams of of Protein. I toss in a Protein Bar (pure protein) it is 20 grams of Protein. I have a social life and do go out with friends and family. If I find myself in a situation that there truly is nothing I can order a side dish or appetizer. I go out to the car and get my goodies in the car.

So far this system has worked for me. It has helped me to feel in control and has kept me from going hungry or eating something I shouldn't. Best wishes and I hope this helps! Tina

Make sure you get the Protein in first..........and oatmeal is NOT a fattening food! But do make sure you are eating the whole grain version of oatmeal - Irish Oatmeal....burns more slowly in glycemic level for the sugars and carbs....

Have a LITTLE...it's about the ability to eat the things you like NOT about denying yourself things you enjoy....ADD some berries (not a banana..makes your sugar rise faster....) and nuts...walnuts or almonds...great Protein and the fruit is important...

Egg are great but try working in some finely chopped, cooked veggies - like onions, peppers, spinach or broccoli......and don't hesitate to add a bit of chedder cheese or grated parmesan or queso fresco....

One egg....even one year out...that's what I enjoy....Blend the egg in a blender when you're at home with some Water or 1% milk and you'll have a lighter egg...

BUT when you're traveling....

ask them to give you soft eggs....

And try some frittata if it's on the menu...or I love having heuvos rancheros...I just ask for the sausage or chorizo in turkey - if they have it

OR on the side, as well as the sour cream, gaucamole and Beans on the side so I can add a little to my eggs and ask them to go light on the melted cheese...

Have a good time out...everyone is different ...So you'll have some trials...BUT remember to listen to your tummy...when you feel full, satiated...start to get signals...LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!