Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor gave me Anti-Nausea med to take 3hrs before surgery.. anyone know if this helps?

I have heard a lot of people say they were nauseous or threw up after surgery. My doctor has already given me a medicine called Emery just 1 pill to take 3hrs before surgery. I was hoping this means I won't have those issues but I'm kinda of wondering if anyone else knows if it will help?

It does! If it is the emend, it is a new favorite for chemotherapy patients. I always vomit after surgery, not this time! Hope it works as well for you.

anti nausea meds are amazing these days. i'm going in on wednesday the 20th for surgery, so i don't speak with direct experience. my mother always has bad reactions to anesthesia and phenergan, zofran, and particularly the scopolamine patch have always worked wonders for her.

my doc is giving an IV anti nausea med starting as soon as they poke me and will stick the scopolamine patch on my ear at some point before surgery. he prescribed zofran sublinguals for afterward.

worst thing they can do is say no if you ask!

It does! If it is the emend, it is a new favorite for chemotherapy patients. I always vomit after surgery, not this time! Hope it works as well for you.

emend - that's the one they are going to push IV. couldn't remember the name of it.

cool... that makes me feel better. I also have been prescribed zofran for after.. I have never had an issue with nausea and anestesia previously but not sure if there is a reason this is different so i wanted to make sure to take all the precautions that i can. thanks for the feedback

I had emend as well. One capsule two hours before surgery and I never had any nausea post-op.

note that the nausea isn't solely related to anesthesia. remember they are removing upwards of 75% of your stomach, so the swelling and trauma adds to the effect. even if you haven't felt nauseous from anesthesia in the past the sleeve process itself might induce it.

stay ahead on your meds. my surgeon told me i would have the option to take pain meds / nausea meds in the hospital every 4 hours for the duration of my stay. he mentioned that i must ask for the meds - they don't automatically deliver them. so set a timer and ask every 4 hours to make sure it stays in your system and you shouldn't have any issues.

Good to know thanks for the advise

The meds actually made me sick. I felt way better when they stopped them.

Yep.. Took amend 3 hrs prior to surgery... Did not have any nausea!

Have no idea what they gave me but I had no nausea at all post surgery. So grateful!!