Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gained 2 pounds?

I am devastated!!!! How can i have gained 2 pounds in 3 days when im eating the same as before. The only thing i can think of is i haven't been able to exercise this past week but seriously GAIN 2 pounds for that?????? After losing 2-3 weekly...... I thought those days were over yet it only took me 8 weeks after surgery to see the scale going up again. :-(

Please don't get upset!! It happens. I bet tomorrow or the next day it will be a loss. It happens to alot of people... You could be retaining a little water...

Dont freak out. This is very normal. Take a deep breath and realize that this is part of the process and although it doesnt make sense, our bodies are doing what it thinks it needs to do. keep doing what your NUT tells you and you should see that weight gone before you know it.

I cant help it. Im really really devastated. I cant stop balling out. Makes me not want to eat at all but with my luck i probAbly wont lose or even keep gaining.

The first thing you need to do is stop weighing yourself every day. Our bodies normally fluctuate daily. It can be MORE than 2 lbs difference from day to day, simply from Water retention, hormonal changes (ie. time of the month), eating too much sodium the day before, etc. If you haven't had a bowel movement in a a few days (very common post-op), your weight will naturally go up as well, even if you haven't been eating!

The scale is not a good indicator of how your weight loss is proceeding. I know this sounds illogical, and from a strict mathematical sense, it seems impossible. Calories in - calories burned should equal weight loss. But it's not always that straight-forward and certainly not that linear. Our bodies are very complex machines and even subtle changes in how we treat that "machine" will upset it's normal balance. And VSG is NOT subtle.

If you must weight yourself, do it weekly or even monthly, if you can resist getting on the scale that long.

Better yet, take body measurements instead. If you note key body measurements (I measure biceps, bust, bra line, waist, hips, thighs) and monitor changes in size in those measurements, you will most likely see decreases, even when the scale is not moving. I take my measurements monthly.

You are also losing fat internally (where you can't measure), between your organs. This is VITAL to increased health, but again, is hard to monitor and celebrate! It's happening....just stay on track!

Despite my own advice, I do still weigh myself every day. I've done that since my 2 week pre-op diet and I am now 9 months post-op. In the beginning, when I didn't lose, or even gained weight from one day to the next, I freaked out.

Now I've been through many stalls (some of them really long, no matter how much I exercised, cut back carbs, increased carbs, ate more, ate less, etc.). I know my body is going to work at its own pace and do its own thing. My weight is dropping. As you can see, I've lost nearly 120 lbs in 9 months and I'm still losing.

I had a goal to be in ONDERLAND (below 200 lbs) by Valentine's Day. I was 200.4 lbs on Feb. 9 and I was sure I was going to meet that goal. Then I gained 2 lbs in 2 days for no apparent reason. Damn it! But you know what? Ah well.......c'est la vie. I'll get there. When my body is ready.

Just stick with the diet and exercise plan your surgeon and NUT have given you. If you don't have a program, ask for one, do some research, make a plan. Have faith this will work. It's worked for thousands and thousands of people. You will not fail, even if you've failed at every other "diet" or weight-loss attempt, IF YOU STAY ON TRACK.

Do not let the scale mess with your mind. It's done that to you your whole life and now you're taking back control!

You can do this!

This happened to me too. I freaked out. I was on a losing streak then BAM gained 3 pounds for no reason. I was eating well and even exercising. Was so upset and confused. I had gotten down to 305 then saw 308. I bounced around with those 3 pounds for 2 and a half weeks! SO frustrating. But you know what? I got on the scale yesterday and saw 302! So it does pass and you WILL lose them. The body just fluctuates. It's frustrating and disheartening but it happens but eventually the scale goes down. Hang in there!

Great thread. This is exactly why I've decided to only weigh weekly. I don't need the daily stress! Just do my best and TRUST my body will follow. My attitude has been so much better since I put that little square demon in a closet!

Great thread. This is exactly why I've decided to only weigh weekly. I don't need the daily stress! Just do my best and TRUST my body will follow. My attitude has been so much better since I put that little square demon in a closet!