Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pouch Dilatation

I too have dilation in my pouch and esophagus caused by a too tight band. This is the second time I have had this and it was fixed previously by eating very small meals and liquids and pureed food only. I have it now again as my band is still too tight and my port cannot be accessed because it has flipped and I now need surgery to correct this first before they can fix my ED problem and empty my band. Fun eh?!!

wow this thread is a wake up call to go easy and be careful...thanks guys!

:) becky

Hi Connie,

I had pouch dilation and regain. I had my band emptied in August and refilled in September. I lost almost 20 lbs since then of the over 30 I gained.

Babs in TX

334/190 ish

I'm having a hard time understanding something. I've always heard people say they PB if they over eat. But, reading this thread, I understand that that is not always the case. Apparently, sometimes people overeat and don't PB, and end up dilating their pouch, right? Any idea why some people PB when they over eat and some people don't? I've never PB'd, and I'm tight right now. I do burp sometimes when I get that "full" or "golfball" feeling, though. Is that something to try to avoid?

Tami

[quote=TamifromAL;? Any idea why some people PB when they over eat and some people don't? I've never PB'd, and I'm tight right now. I do burp sometimes when I get that "full" or "golfball" feeling, though. Is that something to try to avoid?

Tami, this may be relevant, may not, but some people have a very sensitive gag reflex, some gag reflex muscles even sit higher in the throat than others. But that is why some folks find it very hard to throw up, and others can just think about it or hear someone throw up and they are off and running for the bathroom. I have been married for 29 years and have never seen my husband throw up. But he turned green as a lizard if he smelled a dirty diaper LOL. I just think that anyone with a touchy gag reflex will throw up easily, while others are able to eat right up to the point of nausea but never throw up. They would just have to hold all that food in their pouch till it made it's way through the opening. Therefore the stretching of their pouch over time. Again, just my thought on your question. Mizboo

My band slipped on me last May. I was frequently "swollen" in the esophagus and pouch when I would go in for a fill or unfill. I ended up going for unfills several times because I couldn't get Water down. What happened was that I was not throwing up, but "burping" up food literally every time I ate. (That is probably what was causing the swelling) I knew it wasn't a good thing to do, but I never dreamed that I would have a slip. My band moved a little. Then at some point it ended up slipping down more to the point that getting a fill was a waste. The lower part of my stomach that was supposed to be below the band had slipped up through the band and created a pouch that was way too big, so even if the band was tight, I could still eat too much because my pouch was huge. You will probably be fine if you just follow your doctor's orders and make sure that you don't throw up, burp up food, or PB. Best of luck to you. Oh - I got a new band. It has been a $15,000 lesson for me and I tell everyone what happened because even though I feel a bit ashamed that I did that, I don't want it to happen to someone else!

What caused that? Was it something you did?

I went for my first fill 2 weeks ago and have very little restriction, I can eat way too much to. I am now worried that I have stretched my pouch!! I am scheduled for a fill today, my MD does it with ultrasound to find the port. should I ask to have them look at my band to make sure its okay??

Turner24

I went for my first fill 2 weeks ago and have very little restriction, I can eat way too much to. I am now worried that I have stretched my pouch!! I am scheduled for a fill today, my MD does it with ultrasound to find the port. should I ask to have them look at my band to make sure its okay??

Turner24

I definitely would ask him. Just to have the peace of mind is a valuable thing, I think. Good luck.

When I went for an unfill, they said that even Water can cause dialation of the pouch if you are too full. Now I have a bulge and am wondering what is a "small portion" does anyone have ideal portion sizes? Should I go with the standard 4 oz Protein, 1/2 cup cooked veg, 1 cup raw veg?

I want my pouch to shrink!!!!!!

Poodles. The amount of food you listed....are you talking about in one meal?? I thought you could only eat 1/2 cup of food (total) at one meal. Protein, veggie, ect. combined. I could be wrong but that is what I understood from the nutritionist that talked to me. I think that is about the size of the pouch. That doesn't count liquids either. The nutritionist in Texarkana said because it is such a small amount of food you should start with the protein, then veggies, ect. I guess that way you will come closer to getting the nutrition you need before you get too full. When you think about it, that is a small quantity of food.

When I went for an unfill, they said that even Water can cause dialation of the pouch if you are too full. Now I have a bulge and am wondering what is a "small portion" does anyone have ideal portion sizes? Should I go with the standard 4 oz Protein, 1/2 cup cooked veg, 1 cup raw veg?

I want my pouch to shrink!!!!!!

From what I heard in this case is to do liquids for a few days, not many and mushies for about a week or two, then solids again max. 1 cup total each meal. the liquid and mushies shoulod help your pouch get back to normal sooner.

Me too was just unfilled today due pouch being too big cause of overeating. So what works best for those 2 weeks liquids soft food low carbs, whats best for healing and low to no weight gain??

Chery;

Banded May2006-215

January30th-160 totally unfilled pouch too big

Is the pouch supposed to eventually stretch to a cup size. The nutritionist showed me a 1/2 cup and told me that was the size of the pouch after banding. This was at Precision surgery in Texarkana, TX. If the pouch is only a 1/2 cup then a cup of food is going to stretch it. Right? I would call back to your drs. ofc. and clarify.