Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crossing the border with no passport

I've read numerous times if you have your drivers license, birth certif, and proof of passport app the that should be enuff. I've not tested to theory but I've seen it mentioned b4.

Amanda Rae

I went with ID and birthcert with no problems ay all don't worry you'll be fine there wasn't any long wait over it ! Good luck

I am bringing my BFF with me and will habe to pay to expedite both of our passports.... $600. Im seriously considering the ID/birth certificate route...UGH WHAT TO DO?!

My mom will be traveling with me to Tijuana. Today she received a rejection letter for her passport because the birth certificate she sent was not the correct long-form birth certificate.

We no longer have enough time for her to apply for a new birth certificate and a new passport.

Has anyone here been able to cross back into the US with only a drivers license and a birth certificate?

If you are driving over (or being driven) she can go to the DMV (Secretary of State) and apply for a passport card also called an enhanced drivers license. (Common for border residents that commute across for work) She will need her current drivers license and Birth Certificate... It will cost around 55.00 (may vary by state, call first) they will staple a temporary card to her current license (just like when you renew it) and that along with her Birth Certificate should be all that is needed.

Hopefully you were issued a refund for the failed passport attempt.

Sorry this is so long! Hope this helps.

So' date=' here's what I don't understand...I haven't been in Mexico since they started the passport thing, however, I have traveled extensively and every time I get off the plane in a foreign country the ask to see your passport and stamp it before they allow you into the country. Does Mexico not stamp the passport? They just let you walk into the country? Even when I walked into France once they made me go through the passport stamp line...does anyone know?[/quote']

If you go by air they do, but not by car.

Was there 10 days ago and my hubby just had his birth certificate and driver's license. They only looked at his driver's license. There is NO PROBLEM!!!!! Do NOT worry about it!

Thanks moosewife. That's good to know

So' date=' here's what I don't understand...I haven't been in Mexico since they started the passport thing, however, I have traveled extensively and every time I get off the plane in a foreign country the ask to see your passport and stamp it before they allow you into the country. Does Mexico not stamp the passport? They just let you walk into the country? Even when I walked into France once they made me go through the passport stamp line...does anyone know?[/quote']

I live in Mexico and travel back and forth to Canada for work every two weeks. They stamp it when you fly in. When you drive in, if you're not stopping for a permit for your vehicle they usually don't even check your passport let alone stamp it. Since you won't be getting a vehicle permit you will be fine.

STOP!!!

I was just sleeved on 1/21/13 in Tijuana and we had two folks in our group who did NOT have passports. The US border patrol easily accepted their birth certificates and driver's license as evidence of residency and it only took 5 minutes to get through the checkpoint.

You will be fine!!

This may sound crazy BUT what does the birth certificate look like that they will accept? I have the card size one and another one with footprints.

This may sound crazy BUT what does the birth certificate look like that they will accept? I have the card size one and another one with footprints.

I would try to get a long form just to be on the safe side. I have the card also and was told when I went to get a passport that it was not accepted. Went to vital records today and ordered a BC through the mail. They closed down the office in BR and have kiosh machines set up. After paying 35$ for a rushed (3-5days) BC, I learned I can go two towns over (45min) and get one the same day. I will wait til Fri and if it doesn't come I will go get one then.

I live in San Diego to to Mexico all the time ID birth cert ur fine. I have never had an issue.

It took 16 days to get our passports and my bitth certificate did not have place of birth on it!!