Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post workout fuel

What do you eat or drink after a workout? Tonight I ate 750 calories then did an intense 70minutes of Zumba. It ended at 8:45pm, that's too late to have a Protein snack so I had 1/2 a cup of milk and Water after. Is that ok? What do people eat or drink after a work out and sleeve? What about eating late??? Anyone else have that problem?

If you want to really take it to the extreme you should be doing your cardio on an empty stomach or something with carbs to give you energy for a hard workout, something like a banana. You have about a 20min window after your workout to drink a Protein shake to help rebuild muscle. This is coming from a more weight lifting background but I don't see why it wouldn't apply to weight loss.

I think some people have the misconception that you should eat a big meal first then burn it off in the gym. Its actually the opposite. After your workout is when you want to eat your complex carbs and Protein.< /p>

If you want to really take it to the extreme you should be doing your cardio on an empty stomach or something with carbs to give you energy for a hard workout' date=' something like a banana. You have about a 20min window after your workout to drink a Protein shake to help rebuild muscle. This is coming from a more weight lifting background but I don't see why it wouldn't apply to weight loss.

I think some people have the misconception that you should eat a big meal first then burn it off in the gym. Its actually the opposite. After your workout is when you want to eat your complex carbs and protein.[/quote']

I want to start working out hard my 3rd week out, but I will still be in the mush stage... Do you have any recommendations?

You probably don't want to be working out that hard after only three weeks, but ease back into things. At that level, you probably won't have any great nutritional demands for the workout until you get back into the swing of things over the following few weeks.

To the OP, I usually have a late Protein snack of greek yogurt or Protein loaded pudding - it has a good protein load but is easy to digest so works well for a late snack (at least for me, as I finish my protein pudding at 10pm.)

I want to start working out hard my 3rd week out, but I will still be in the mush stage... Do you have any recommendations?

I use to wrestle and play football in high school 15 years ago. The info I know regarding exercising stems from those days and are things I recall from over 15 years ago, so take what I say with a grain of salt lol.

You should not look to start working out hard. 3 weeks is way to early. You should focus on building a workout plan and getting into the gym at least every other day minimum. For starters I would look online into certain stretches you should be doing to prepare your body for some light cardio workouts. I would start out doing cardio for a week or two... bike, eliptical ect. I wouldn't try and run on a treadmill just yet.

You probably want to keep doing cardio for a few weeks until you figure out a good workout program. When I say workout program I am referring to light weight training. You dont want to just do cardio... You will end up just shrinking but staying the same shape. If you incorporate some weight training you can change the shape of your body to anything you want.

Good luck

I use to wrestle and play football in high school 15 years ago. The info I know regarding exercising stems from those days and are things I recall from over 15 years ago' date=' so take what I say with a grain of salt lol.

You should not look to start working out hard. 3 weeks is way to early. You should focus on building a workout plan and getting into the gym at least every other day minimum. For starters I would look online into certain stretches you should be doing to prepare your body for some light cardio workouts. I would start out doing cardio for a week or two... bike, eliptical ect. I wouldn't try and run on a treadmill just yet.

You probably want to keep doing cardio for a few weeks until you figure out a good workout program. When I say workout program I am referring to light weight training. You dont want to just do cardio... You will end up just shrinking but staying the same shape. If you incorporate some weight training you can change the shape of your body to anything you want.

Good luck[/quote']

Thanks. Even though I am large, I've always enjoyed working out.., more weight training then cardio though.

Mike Ross thanks for your reply. Haha I get why you thought I ate a lot, because I said I ate 750calories. I meant the entire day. I was done with my meals THEN worked out and didn't want to eat more calories after workout. Before workout I had a cup of chicken and bean Soup I made. I figured that's carbs and Protein.

My boyfriend has been telling me not to workout so hard bc I'm healing but I feel crazy that I don't lose!! The scale has not changed for me and I am eating drastically less than pre sleeve days (all of us are I know) so I wanted to get off on the right foot and workout. I have felt fine but after reading a lot on this forum I will wait a while to lift weights (which I really enjoy doing) And let my body heal. I just feel I am at a slow place. The Dr. said my restriction and loss will be slower because I previously had the Lapband. Anyway, thanks everyone.

Simple is the fact Butterthebean, when you spray Water on the warm objects, the objects tends to expand and crack if it's brittle. Similar is the cas, when you work out, the blood flow in the organs pumps up and the organs experience a raised metabolism or the warmth. So the intake of Water is avoided in work out sessions. You may have it post work out. You should sweat water out rather than intake. Some fitness experts even say to lower down the water intake for achieving fitness and also lessening of the salt intake so that the fat loss process is expedited. Hope you have got you answer Butterthebean.

Yes but human tissue is not brittle nor will it crack when warm if hit with water. There is a danger of dehydration during excessive sweating from exercise and drinking liquids will prevent that danger. Not drinking, especially while sweating intensly, causes a loss of water in the body. I have never heard anyone recommend not drinking during exercise before, and everything I have ever read on the subject contradicts your statements. I'm certainly not going to go out and run 8 miles on a hot day without taking in some liquids.< /p>

Yeah, that no Water or salt thing can be dangerous - it might be something that will boost some numbers in casual exercisers temporarily instead of doing the work that they should be doing - check with a qualified MD, or at least a fitness RD, to verify what some "fitness experts" (for which there are no qualifications) say. The most common reason for that the occasional person dropping dead during a marathon is from extreme electrolyte imbalance from not enough salt intake to counter their loss from sweating.

I will continue to drink during workouts (and before and after.)

Simple is the fact Butterthebean' date=' when you spray Water on the warm objects, the objects tends to expand and crack if it's brittle. Similar is the cas, when you work out, the blood flow in the organs pumps up and the organs experience a raised metabolism or the warmth. So the intake of Water is avoided in work out sessions. You may have it post work out. You should sweat water out rather than intake. Some fitness experts even say to lower down the water intake for achieving fitness and also lessening of the salt intake so that the fat loss process is expedited. Hope you have got you answer Butterthebean.[/quote']

Interesting. I have not heard of this physical process before with regards to water during exercise. I tend not to drink during a session, but will try and drink before and definitely afterwards.

Interesting. I have not heard of this physical process before with regards to Water during exercise. I tend not to drink during a session' date=' but will try and drink before and definitely afterwards.[/quote']

You are so diplomatic. Maybe I need to start playing the violin so I don't use the word bull**** so much. LOL