Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have never taken a PPI, have I done anything bad to my sleeve?

I remember reading many post regarding reflux prior to surgery. I have never had a acid reflux issue before surgery... maybe once or twice a year I get heartburn but it goes away quickly and I dont recall taking anything to help subside it.

Anyways, I am 3 weeks out and have completely forgot to take any type of medicine for acid reflux. I have none but am wondering if I should start taking it anyways. I remember reading the newly sleeved people should take something for the first 3-6 months.

So do I need to take something even though I have no heartburn to speak of?

I don't think you need to take it if you don't have an issue. I am three weeks out too (yay), but my Dr said it's to control acid in your stomach but if you don't have any issues then I wouldn 't bother. I am finished taking mine anyhow, it was 1 pill am and 1 pm for the first couple of weeks then 1 pill a day for the next week. I did have issues with acid reflux so I had to take them, however now if I get any I just take a zantac.... works just as well. Good luck to ya, how much have you lost already??

P/S I love your profile pic, I'm Canadian too :)

Good luck to ya, how much have you lost already??

P/S I love your profile pic, I'm Canadian too :)

I have loss 30lbs as of 3 days ago... I have been in a stall I assume for the last 3 days. I start going to the gym next week so I hope to break out of it then. I am very please with the weight loss thus far but I contribute it to 3 things.

First, I am a guy and men lose a lot quicker then women do.

Second, I didn't follow my pre-op diet at all and didnt lose anything prior to surgery. When I got home from surgery 5 days later I had already lost 12 lbs, the 30lbs is all weight lost after surgery. I think if I followed my pre-op diet and lost weight prior to surgery I would have probably lost more to date but less since surgery... lol does that make sense.

Lastly I have been able to get all my Protein and Water requirements in since 3 days out of surgery... In fact I am getting over 100g of Protein and well over my Water requirements daily while staying around 6-800cal a day with fewer than 30g of carbs.

I moved to this country when I was a young child, and although not born here I consider myself Canadian. I have traveled the world and every place I have been to loves us Canucks... well maybe not the states lol.

The PPI also helps with perceived hunger. Even if you do not have it now, you may develop it later due to acid production. Not all acid production results in an acid reflux scenario ( never got it myself) but I have found that sometimes a PPI will help with my hunger. I have been taking a PPI daily since surgery for seven months and do not plan on stopping not only because of perceived hunger and potential acid reflux, but also because it protects me from any potential issues caused by taking NSAIDs for inflammation (note- did not take NSAID until post 6 months). Congrats on your success so far. Your numbers look very good, especially for daily Protein goals. Not all of us were able to do 600-800 by 3 weeks out (myself included), so more power to you. You will, however, want to be careful about letting the calories creep up too high just because you can. I have found a good clean protein of between 3-4 ounces every 3 hours keeps my hunger and insulin levels stable all day long. No spikes and no crashes. For reference, my calories today at 7 months are between 900-1200 and I am quite active (15-18 running miles 3 days a week and strength training on alternate days). My carbs are still mostly low, but I do try and eat some small energy squares before running (about 120 calories and good carbs consisting mostly of a nut mesh). despite many NUTs encouraging folks to get protein from real food i still enjoy 2 shakes a day, 3 if I have an extra one after a long run. I am still losing (recipe for success: develop highly active exercise plan, 120+ protein, 100+ oz Water, always eat clean - make good food choices and minimize carbs for every planned meal). in fact, dropped 5 lb from 2 weeks ago and am practically at goal ( will probably gain back 5-10 lb in muscle before stabilizing my weight). Hope this helps. As an aside, I thoroughly like my Canadian friends up north and enjoy long road trips to banff, jasper or other destinations. Except for that one speeding ticket I got up there...

Thanks for the very informative reply. I am actually up in bellingham,wa every two weeks shopping and picking up items I buy online from a po box I setup over there. The prices of gas, food and import taxes here are just insane. I save around 800 per month doing my shopping in WA which is about 1 hour drive for me.

My doctor has had patients develop ulcers,from the excess acid, on the suture line, if they don't take acid reducers the first 6 months. They bleed like mad and can get people in ICU within an hour of symptoms. Cheap way to keep on healing.

I didn't start needing a PPI until I was on regular food. Now I take it every morning or my sleeve is UPSET.

Thanks for the very informative reply. I am actually up in bellingham' date='wa every two weeks shopping and picking up items I buy online from a po box I setup over there. The prices of gas, food and import taxes here are just insane. I save around 800 per month doing my shopping in WA which is about 1 hour drive for me.[/quote']

Oh so you are the one the canadians buying all the milk from costco in Bellingham :) I go up there pretty frequently to visit relatives. It is about 1.5 hours north from where I live.

LOL I know the "yankees" don't like us Canadians too much eh?! ;)

I have lost about 30 lbs too but I have been stalled since I got back from Mexico...not sure why but it is very frustrating.

Your right men do lose quicker then woman but it's all good as long as it all comes off right?!

You could ask your nut about the acid reflux, I would think if it didn't bother you before it won't bother you now. And if it does you have the meds if you need em. I have heard of people getting ulcers, but I believe it's from pre exsisting factors.

Best of luck to you next week at the gym !!

Cheers :)

You don't NEED to take it but if you are having acid issues you need to take it, excess acid can cause Asthma, lung issues, also cause cancer of the esophagus.

Oh so you are the one the canadians buying all the milk from costco in Bellingham :) I go up there pretty frequently to visit relatives. It is about 1.5 hours north from where I live.

LOL yes I do buy my milk in bellingham but now have converted to almond milk but still buy 2 jugs for my wife and daughter... can you believe its double the price up here in canada for milk and up to 3 times the price for cheese. Some of the locals are pissed about the amount of canadians shopping in bellingham.

I always see many people of indian decent buying 50+ liters of milk, I am not sure what they need it all for. I always see at least 2-3 guys at costco with 1-2 cart fulls of milk.

I have loss 30lbs as of 3 days ago... I have been in a stall I assume for the last 3 days. I start going to the gym next week so I hope to break out of it then. I am very please with the weight loss thus far but I contribute it to 3 things.

First' date=' I am a guy and men lose a lot quicker then women do.

Second, I didn't follow my pre-op diet at all and didnt lose anything prior to surgery. When I got home from surgery 5 days later I had already lost 12 lbs, the 30lbs is all weight lost after surgery. I think if I followed my pre-op diet and lost weight prior to surgery I would have probably lost more to date but less since surgery... lol does that make sense.

Lastly I have been able to get all my Protein and Water requirements in since 3 days out of surgery... In fact I am getting over 100g of Protein and well over my Water requirements daily while staying around 6-800cal a day with fewer than 30g of carbs.

I moved to this country when I was a young child, and although not born here I consider myself Canadian. I have traveled the world and every place I have been to loves us Canucks... well maybe not the states lol.[/quote']

Aaaaww I won't to be like you! 8 days out and still struggling to get all my protein in... So full

I would suggest taking it. I was on one until 4 weeks post op, & now 8 weeks post op I've got an ulcer. I wouldn't chance it. I never had reflux either. Not once.