Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

I wanted to check back in here. A few things have happened.

First of all I need to have my gallbladder removed and that is happening Wednesday. I'm not worried about it and expect to only be out of commission for a couple days. I don't even see how it could keep me from running for more than a few days, but I will listen to my body and see.

Second, I have had some strange knee pain. Here is the background. I have a really bad ankle due to mechanical problems with the ligaments and nerves. I really need surgery. If that foot hits any instability at all, the ankle can collapse without warning. Even just walking on a tiny pebble on the sidewalk. So I have always done my running inside, including all but the last three weeks of the Couch to 10k. I did those outside (very carefully) because we were on a road trip vacation and outside was all I had. Those runs actually went very well. I went faster than I expected to and felt better than I expected for running outside. And I didn't fall.

I got home and did a run on the treadmill the first day I was back, and had knee pain. I never had knee pain before, even 20+ kg heavier. That's weird. The treadmill is supposed to be easier on the joints, right? I had knee surgery on the right knee a few years ago and wouldn't be surprised by a bit of soreness there, but the other one was sore too. I chalked it up as an oddity and ran again two days later. Even more knee pain. Hmm. So two days after that, I just did a short run and took the weekend to recover.

The next week, I ran again on the Monday and the knee pain hadn't really gone away. I had the gallbladder attack on the Tuesday and couldn't run on the Wednesday. I did a short run on the Friday and felt a but better, but the next few days I had a ton of knee pain just walking around, especially walking down hills or stairs. I asked for advice on MFP and BTB advised that I try to land softer. I did that today and I felt better. I managed 6 km in 50 pain-free minutes. Now to see how I feel tomorrow. We are having a party and I will be on my feet all day, but I won't run again until Monday. Then I will miss my run for the rest do the week but will surely feel up to walking by Friday.

I wanted to check back in here. A few things have happened. First of all I need to have my gallbladder removed and that is happening Wednesday. I'm not worried about it and expect to only be out of commission for a couple days. I don't even see how it could keep me from running for more than a few days, but I will listen to my body and see. Second, I have had some strange knee pain. Here is the background. I have a really bad ankle due to mechanical problems with the ligaments and nerves. I really need surgery. If that foot hits any instability at all, the ankle can collapse without warning. Even just walking on a tiny pebble on the sidewalk. So I have always done my running inside, including all but the last three weeks of the Couch to 10k. I did those outside (very carefully) because we were on a road trip vacation and outside was all I had. Those runs actually went very well. I went faster than I expected to and felt better than I expected for running outside. And I didn't fall. I got home and did a run on the treadmill the first day I was back, and had knee pain. I never had knee pain before, even 20+ kg heavier. That's weird. The treadmill is supposed to be easier on the joints, right? I had knee surgery on the right knee a few years ago and wouldn't be surprised by a bit of soreness there, but the other one was sore too. I chalked it up as an oddity and ran again two days later. Even more knee pain. Hmm. So two days after that, I just did a short run and took the weekend to recover. The next week, I ran again on the Monday and the knee pain hadn't really gone away. I had the gallbladder attack on the Tuesday and couldn't run on the Wednesday. I did a short run on the Friday and felt a but better, but the next few days I had a ton of knee pain just walking around, especially walking down hills or stairs. I asked for advice on MFP and BTB advised that I try to land softer. I did that today and I felt better. I managed 6 km in 50 pain-free minutes. Now to see how I feel tomorrow. We are having a party and I will be on my feet all day, but I won't run again until Monday. Then I will miss my run for the rest do the week but will surely feel up to walking by Friday.

Good luck on the surgery!

I wanted to check back in here. A few things have happened.

First of all I need to have my gallbladder removed and that is happening Wednesday. I'm not worried about it and expect to only be out of commission for a couple days. I don't even see how it could keep me from running for more than a few days, but I will listen to my body and see.

Good luck and a speedy recovery.

I wanted to check back in here. A few things have happened. First of all I need to have my gallbladder removed and that is happening Wednesday. I'm not worried about it and expect to only be out of commission for a couple days. I don't even see how it could keep me from running for more than a few days, but I will listen to my body and see. Second, I have had some strange knee pain. Here is the background. I have a really bad ankle due to mechanical problems with the ligaments and nerves. I really need surgery. If that foot hits any instability at all, the ankle can collapse without warning. Even just walking on a tiny pebble on the sidewalk. So I have always done my running inside, including all but the last three weeks of the Couch to 10k. I did those outside (very carefully) because we were on a road trip vacation and outside was all I had. Those runs actually went very well. I went faster than I expected to and felt better than I expected for running outside. And I didn't fall. I got home and did a run on the treadmill the first day I was back, and had knee pain. I never had knee pain before, even 20+ kg heavier. That's weird. The treadmill is supposed to be easier on the joints, right? I had knee surgery on the right knee a few years ago and wouldn't be surprised by a bit of soreness there, but the other one was sore too. I chalked it up as an oddity and ran again two days later. Even more knee pain. Hmm. So two days after that, I just did a short run and took the weekend to recover. The next week, I ran again on the Monday and the knee pain hadn't really gone away. I had the gallbladder attack on the Tuesday and couldn't run on the Wednesday. I did a short run on the Friday and felt a but better, but the next few days I had a ton of knee pain just walking around, especially walking down hills or stairs. I asked for advice on MFP and BTB advised that I try to land softer. I did that today and I felt better. I managed 6 km in 50 pain-free minutes. Now to see how I feel tomorrow. We are having a party and I will be on my feet all day, but I won't run again until Monday. Then I will miss my run for the rest do the week but will surely feel up to walking by Friday.

Hope your recovery is speedy. I had my gallbladder out last April and couldn't run for 2 weeks. Hope your Dr releases you sooner.

Week 6 Day 3... Another week finished! Heading into the home stretch!

I am at the same place! We're pacing partners!!

Good luck on the surgery

Most of the time when I have knee pain it's because I'm not focusing on my form and my strides get too long.

It was raining so hard when I woke up this morning (at 6:15) to go to run my 10K and I was SO tempted to stay in my warm and dry bed, but I managed to get up and get ready. I was prepared with a poncho, and luckily it wasn't too cold out. Ran the whole way, but was pretty darn slow in comparison to all the other runners there. Finished in 1:15, which was my target for the race. My pace was around 11:59. Next race is a Christmas 5K with a bunch of friends and after that I'm trying to decide whether to run a 10K or 1/2 in Maui when I go visit my sleeve sister for our 1 year surgiversary.

It was raining so hard when I woke up this morning (at 6:15) to go to run my 10K and I was SO tempted to stay in my warm and dry bed, but I managed to get up and get ready. I was prepared with a poncho, and luckily it wasn't too cold out. Ran the whole way, but was pretty darn slow in comparison to all the other runners there. Finished in 1:15, which was my target for the race. My pace was around 11:59. Next race is a Christmas 5K with a bunch of friends and after that I'm trying to decide whether to run a 10K or 1/2 in Maui when I go visit my sleeve sister for our 1 year surgiversary.

Congrats!!! I'm still only at 14:00 for 22 minutes! Good work!

Just finished week 5 day 3! I had been dreading it (scared)! I didn't die! I think I am going to be ready for my 5k in a few weeks.

Just finished W7D1. Averaged a 15 min mile so still slow but STEADY!! I am glad I cut back my speed. I felt like I could have gone a little longer and I wasn't struggling to breath. I just had to come to the place to realize that it's ok to be slow. I don't have to be a sprinter to be considered a runner and my speed will improve with time, consistency and persistence. Hey friends, I'm a RUNNER & I'm proud of it!!

The last couple runs have been a lot better. The 1% incline feels good and I've shortened my stride I think. I feel good after 7 km. I haven't been able to make myself run further than that since I finished the Couch to 10k. I just don't feel like I need to run longer than 50 minutes at a shot for exercise.

Gallbladder surgery tomorrow so yesterday was probably my last run for the next week or two.

The last couple runs have been a lot better. The 1% incline feels good and I've shortened my stride I think. I feel good after 7 km. I haven't been able to make myself run further than that since I finished the Couch to 10k. I just don't feel like I need to run longer than 50 minutes at a shot for exercise. Gallbladder surgery tomorrow so yesterday was probably my last run for the next week or two.

Good Luck

Just finished W7D1. Averaged a 15 min mile so still slow but STEADY!! I am glad I cut back my speed. I felt like I could have gone a little longer and I wasn't struggling to breath. I just had to come to the place to realize that it's ok to be slow. I don't have to be a sprinter to be considered a runner and my speed will improve with time, consistency and persistence. Hey friends, I'm a RUNNER & I'm proud of it!!

Tag pace buddy! Right there with you! Week 7 Day 1 done!