Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

Running is kind of a love hate relationship at the beginning' date=' but turns more towards love as you get better at it. It will be something you will look forward to doing after a while.[/quote']

I totally have come back on a super high from it. Euphoric almost. When I feel like I'm about to puke my guts, I remind myself of the afterglow. I remember doing the same thing during my heavy workout days.

I'm being sneaky and asking my 13-year old to "coach" me as a way to change his self-perception. He sees himself as not being a runner and he's too young to have such a negative self-view. I told him if a middle-aged, fat woman was willing to try and fail, he had no excuse and so we're doing it together. He shouts encouraging things at me from time to time. Makes us both happy :)

Next time, the dog will go with us too. Poor thing, she's dying to go. I wasn't sure I could manage her and the wa-jogging but going to try.

I totally have come back on a super high from it. Euphoric almost. When I feel like I'm about to puke my guts' date=' I remind myself of the afterglow. I remember doing the same thing during my heavy workout days.

I'm being sneaky and asking my 13-year old to "coach" me as a way to change his self-perception. He sees himself as not being a runner and he's too young to have such a negative self-view. I told him if a middle-aged, fat woman was willing to try and fail, he had no excuse and so we're doing it together. He shouts encouraging things at me from time to time. Makes us both happy :)

Next time, the dog will go with us too. Poor thing, she's dying to go. I wasn't sure I could manage her and the wa-jogging but going to try.[/quote']

Sounds really good. I do not take my dog out jogging enough (note, did not say running). He likes it and responds fairly well afterwards by not being totally winded. I have taken previous dogs on hikes before and they get so tired after the grueling switchbacks that they are on their side panting. I used to take a prior dog for long runs of 3-4 hours (20 miles or so) several years ago. Anyways, I am going to make it a point of taking my dog out jogging more on rest days (on the leash) in the neighborhood or on centennial trail (a local long, flat community paved trail for walking, running, biking and horse riding). He does not run unless required, more of a Gallup or trot like a horse. He is highly efficient to doing the least effort possible, but still keep up. lol. Maybe he has something to teach me? haha. Running for me now is 7-8 minute mile pace where race mode is sub 6 minutes, perhaps even sub 5 minutes. Race mode is a sprint form of running for me. I give it everything I have when everything in my body says stop after 1/2 mile of it. Sprinting is really good for health. I can only sustain about 5 k of it. I do not think my dog would like me very much if I took him out for a run at that pace. Lol!

I totally have come back on a super high from it. Euphoric almost. When I feel like I'm about to puke my guts' date=' I remind myself of the afterglow. I remember doing the same thing during my heavy workout days.

Next time, the dog will go with us too. Poor thing, she's dying to go. I wasn't sure I could manage her and the wa-jogging but going to try.[/quote']

My dogs love to go....but more so in the cooler weather of course. When we trail run....which is mostly all I do now....ill hook them together with a short splitter about 20" long, but use no leash. They'll run along together following, and sometimes leading me. They are great at following a trail and will go on for miles, and since they're leashed together, if one wants to stop, the other keeps going....giving a little tug to pull the other along. It works very well and keeps them moving. If I get ahead of them, they will scramble to not let me out of their site. They don't want daddy leaving them behind.

I only dream of the day when I'm faster than my dog.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Yep. I stalled out the first week when I started. One thing that can cause it is not increasing your Water intake. Weigh yourself before and after you run. For every pound of weight loss (from sweating) drink 16-24 ounces more water. My normal intake is 64 ounces. I lose 2 pounds when I run, so I have to drink at least 96 ounces on running days. If I don't, I stall.

Thanks Deedadumble! Makes sense

I only dream of the day when I'm faster than my dog.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Get him one of those doggie back packs and make him carry 2 gallons of Water. Yours and his.....that'll slow him down.

How are u breaking the miles up? Is there a set regime? I'm interested in doing this but I'm pre op with joint issues. Please lmk. PjB

How are u breaking the miles up? Is there a set regime? I'm interested in doing this but I'm pre op with joint issues. Please lmk. PjB

Hi there. I too have joint issues. I've done only two days so far and have usual muscle soreness from starting an exercise regime and today, ankles are sore but my joints are not (yet) hurting. I'm fact I was able to do it yesterday and then go to a baseball game and walk another mile to get back and forth. Hoping it stays like this. I hurt too much to do it today but went for a 1.5 mile slow walk instead.

Download c25k free onto your smart phone, turn it on, and do what it tells you. For me, jogging in very small steps, putting my whole foot down rather than landing on ball or heel of foot seems to reduce the jarring and hence the impact on the knees. So far! Early days.

Good luck!

Gamergirl

Thanks for the encouragement! I walked 1/2 mile after posting my note. It was just the encouragement I needed to get started!

I used to walk 3 miles a day. THEN fell into deep depression due to other health issues brought on by work injury and loss of employment. Added 55# to a body that didn't need more weight. Now here I am trying to get moving again. ..

Ok so after a month off i started back tonight - slid back one week to W3D1. Barely made it lol.

Ok so after a month off i started back tonight - slid back one week to W3D1. Barely made it lol.

That is awesome that you're back. Persistence is the key!

I had to take the month off in June. I started back on week 3 in July, then was able to skip a few days here and there because I was in better shape the second time around. I'm up to running 47 minutes straight now and adding a minute every run. I was going to start Bridge to 10K next week, but I'm going to do Hal Higdons half marathon training plan instead.

My first 5K race since I started over is Saturday at Disney World. Can't wait!

me' date=' jogging in very small steps, putting my whole foot down rather than landing on ball or heel of foot seems to reduce the jarring and hence the impact on the knees. So far! Early days. Good luck![/quote']

FYI....good job on the short strides. Definitely helps prevent injury. Consider keeping knees bent and landing on your forefoot. The heels can touch the ground but slightly after the forefoot. That way you use the muscles of the thigh and calf as a spring. A shock absorber. And the natural recoil of the spring helps push you off for the next step

I put a link up before but if you missed it check out

Www.goodformrunning,com

FYI....good job on the short strides. Definitely helps prevent injury. Consider keeping knees bent and landing on your forefoot. The heels can touch the ground but slightly after the forefoot. That way you use the muscles of the thigh and calf as a spring. A shock absorber. And the natural recoil of the spring helps push you off for the next step I put a link up before but if you missed it check out Www.goodformrunning' date='com[/quote']

I did check out that site but it says things in pictures not numbers or words and although this sounds stupid, I can't read pictures. So I saw it and assumed I was supposed to land mid foot which is what I tried to do. I have to land on my forefoot? Okay will try. I plan on doing w1d3 after woke today.

I did check out that site but it says things in pictures not numbers or words and although this sounds stupid' date=' I can't read pictures. So I saw it and assumed I was supposed to land mid foot which is what I tried to do. I have to land on my forefoot? Okay will try. I plan on doing w1d3 after woke today.[/quote']

It doesn't have videos? It did. Ok maybe I need to go back and look at it again.

But in running gait parlance mid foot and forefoot are synonymous. It means not on your toes and not your heel.