Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I have just started the process of looking in to WLS. I am thinking that it would most likely be a VSG and I have been scouring the board for information. I have tried reading everything that has been shared about the Kaiser process in NorCal but I am still a little confused. I know that the Sacramento Bariatric surgery center is fairly new and I am wondering if there is anyone out there that can give me the step by steps on how their process works specifically.

I attended the Information class in Roseville on 1/30. When I left the office, I stopped by Radiology for a mammogram (I just turned 40).

I also made an appointment with OB/GYN for a check up and there was an opening on Friday, 2/1. So, that is also out of the way. I messaged my PCP through KP.org and asked for a referral. She told me it was sent and I got a call on 2/6 from the South Sac Kaiser to schedule the Orientation.

I will go to Orientation next week.

Here are my questions:

At my OB appt on 2/1 I was recorded at 318.5 (Honestly more than I expected but that is now on record)

• Do you get weighed at Orientation
  • If I start dieting now, will I be required to lose weight based on the highest weight or the orientation/surgeon consult weight?
  • Are you scheduled to meet with the Psychologist following the orientation? The surgeon?
  • How much weight are you generally expected to lose before surgery?
  • What kind of diet did you follow?
  • What is the time line from Orientation to Surgery?

Thanks in advance!

Califmomto4.... Congrats on taking the first step to living a new life! I'm in the S Sac program and I Love it! The people/Dr's are very nice, helpful and concerned about your health. I'm scheduled for surgery on Feb 14th with Dr Grinberg. Let me see of I can help you with your questions.

1) You get weighed everytime you see them and they took my weight from my heaviest when I first went to see my PCP about the program.

2) They (Kaiser) generally want you to lose 10% of your weight to get you use to your new way of eating habits. I lost 10 lbs before I saw Dr Grinberg and he went from my heaviest weight.

3) They give you a notebook full of everything you will need to know like diet, exercise and what to expect.

4) You see the psychologist when you get within 5 lbs of your goal weight.

5) The timeline depends on you, how fast you lose the weight and adjust to the changes that you're making.

I wonder if its always 10 %...that could take a long time. :-(

From all that I've seen or heard about Kaiser it is. There are cases that are the exception to the rule but it's the surgeons call. Don't worry about a thing, if you follow the diet plan in the book and stay at or near 1200 calories a day and exercise the weight will seem to melt off of you. Some days more than others but you will have times when you don't lose and days you gain but it is all normal. The main reason, I feel, they do it is because you are changing your bad habits for good ones and it takes repetition and time to retrain yourself to change your ways. This procedure is nothing but a tool that counts for 25% of the problem the remaining 75% is in your hands to succeed or fail. I was nervous or too prideful about going to support groups or just talking about my issues but then I went to one then two then on here and watching YouTube and it's helped sooo much I can't put it into words. It is such a relief to know i'm not the only one, I'm not a screw up or a freak of nature. I'm a person with a disease that can be managed or cured with help from my Dr and other people in the same boat. Sorry... Just trying to encourage you not meaning to sound like I'm preaching lol. I have my surgery this Thursday so I'm a lil nervous, really excited but if you want to know anything at all just ask. :-)

How long did it take you to lose your ten percent? I am a slow loser...I guess I will wait and see. I have already started following a diet of approx 1200 a day and f2f ocused on protein/low carb. I have cut out all diet soda and coffee...my body just doesn't drop weight that fast.

It will probably take me 4-5 months to lose 10 percent...and that's being optimistic! You know how frustrating it is to diet and not see results.

It took me from July to February so 7 months and that's because I didn't follow the plan and didn't exercise like I should've. I'm proof that if you do be mindful of the sugar that you take in and the total calories and make smarter choices you will lose the weight. It might be a slow process but this isn't supposed to be a quick fix. So what if you lose weight faster or slower than me or anyone else. I say "Congratulations!" You are losing weight! Everyone's body is different so what works for you might not work as good for me. Don't worry you'll do fine and learn more about yourself on your weight loss journey.:-)

Hello' date='

I have just started the process of looking in to WLS. I am thinking that it would most likely be a VSG and I have been scouring the board for information. I have tried reading everything that has been shared about the Kaiser process in NorCal but I am still a little confused. I know that the Sacramento Bariatric surgery center is fairly new and I am wondering if there is anyone out there that can give me the step by steps on how their process works specifically.

I attended the Information class in Roseville on 1/30. When I left the office, I stopped by Radiology for a mammogram (I just turned 40).

I also made an appointment with OB/GYN for a check up and there was an opening on Friday, 2/1. So, that is also out of the way. I messaged my PCP through KP.org and asked for a referral. She told me it was sent and I got a call on 2/6 from the South Sac Kaiser to schedule the Orientation.

I will go to Orientation next week.

Here are my questions:

At my OB appt on 2/1 I was recorded at 318.5 (Honestly more than I expected but that is now on record)

[*']Do you get weighed at Orientation

[*]If I start dieting now, will I be required to lose weight based on the highest weight or the orientation/surgeon consult weight?

[*]Are you scheduled to meet with the Psychologist following the orientation? The surgeon?

[*]How much weight are you generally expected to lose before surgery?

[*]What kind of diet did you follow?

[*]What is the time line from Orientation to Surgery?

Thanks in advance!

My husband and I asked to be referred by our PCPs on Feb 22, 2013 (we preferred Kaiser Fresno; twice as far for us, but we had good referrals for there) and we attended their orientation on Mar 1, 2013. We will be called tomorrow to set up our NUT and psych appointments and we are scheduled to see the surgeon (one on one) on Mar 13, 2013.

Kaiser Fresno takes your highest weight on record into account when giving your goal weight at the one on one. Even though I'm 18 pounds lighter than last year, I'm a little nervous to find out how much more they want me to lose. I'm trying to stick to 1200 calories a day now (using My Fitness Pal).

Once you get cleared by the NUT and psych and reach your goal weight, they will schedule your surgery. I went thru this whole process 5 years ago at Kaiser Fremont (for bypass) but chickened out after seeing some friends have complications). This time I am determined. My 12 year old told me the other day she has never seen me at a normal weight (sigh). I'm loving this VSG community!

I go to the South Sac office, for my orientation, surgeon visit, support group, nutrition class, and tomorrow psych eval. What exactly do you want to know. I am an open book.

I'm curious as to how long it took to hear from the bariatric department once the referral was sent by the PCP. I've attended the WLS overview seminar and met with my PCP two weeks ago Wednesday when she submitted the referral. Just wondering how long I should wait before calling to check status. I will be going through Kaiser's South Sacramento facility if that helps.

I am just starting my process through Kaiser South too. I went to my orientation class 2 weeks ago and today I have my appointment with my surgeon. So so far it's been a pretty fast process. I am trying really hard to stick to my 1200 calorie diet so from my scale and my highest weight I 250 I am down to 243! Really hoping since I have done my research and I am ready to do the VSG this process is not 6 months from now. My book has a lot of steps to go through ie nutrition class, psych eval, support groups, nurse visits etc...

Can someone tell me how long there process is going from now to getting a surgery date?

I am just starting my process through Kaiser South too. I went to my orientation class 2 weeks ago and today I have my appointment with my surgeon. So so far it's been a pretty fast process. I am trying really hard to stick to my 1200 calorie diet so from my scale and my highest weight I 250 I am down to 243! Really hoping since I have done my research and I am ready to do the VSG this process is not 6 months from now. My book has a lot of steps to go through ie nutrition class, psych eval, support groups, nurse visits etc...

Can someone tell me how long there process is going from now to getting a surgery date?

The process from now to surgery date depends on you. Reach your goal weight and they'll give you your surgery date. I'm with Kaiser Richmond and they're pretty strict about that one.

I go to kaiser Richmond. I have gone through the process and have received my surgery date of June 17. I had no problem with the diet and walking but actually working out has been difficult.