Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beware of low B12

I had my 6 month post-op appointment yesterday, with labs done ahead of time. Although I'm good at taking my Vitamins, I had dangerously low levels of B12. I now have to take my recommended weekly dose every single day for 6 weeks, then re-test and find a stabilizing dose. B12 deficiency is serious and can cause permanent neurological deficits. Make sure you're getting all of that monitored post-op! I'm glad my surgeon and nutritionist are on top of things! They also said I can expect to lose about half the weight I lost the first 6 months, in my second six months, with lots of exercise. That would put me right at my goal! All in all, a fairly easy experience. The B12 has been my only complication.

Thanks for the reminder. I am good at taking my Multivitamin but often skip the B12 but won't do that anymore! Just took it.

This just made me remember I am a few days late on my b12.... Ty for the reminder, and congratulations on everything going so well!

Great advice DEZ

Thanks! I am pre op so I will continue to take

Yes, this is something that needs monitored. Just because you are taking it, doesn't necessarily mean your levels are good. I was pretty good at taking my B12 sublingual each week as directed. First tests came back with B12 low, so they moved me to every other day. Tested again ... low. Daily dose ... low.

So, now I get injections and my numbers have stabilized. Long story short, you gotta get tested.

GenerationCurseChanger, since you are pre-op, your stomach is still wholly intact and able to absorb B12 normally. So, unless you have had B12 issues or have been directed to take B12, you may want to read THIS article about excess B12. Have you had your levels checked lately? I just know a lot of pre-op people get excited for the surgery and want to everything right so they begin the regimen early, but it may not be what your body needs right now.

Give myself a shot of B12 the first of every month.....nothing too bad. Always follow up with providers for levels.

Give myself a shot of B12 the first of every month.....nothing too bad. Always follow up with providers for levels.

Does your insurance cover this or is it out of pocket?

Thanks for the reminder. I am good at taking my multivitamin but often skip the B12 but won't do that anymore! Just took it.

Same here!

My insurance covers mine ... and it did NOT cover the VSG, I was out of pocket for that.

It's covered, you're surgeon just has to write you a script for it. B12 is not easily absorbed....sublingual and nasal versions a bit better, but the intramuscular shot is typically the best route. You do need to know how and where to give yourself a shot......some education with nursing staff would help here.

I must be the only one here who didn't need to supplement my B12. Lucky I guess.

B12 can still be absorbed by the tissues under the tongue. That is why B12 is a sublingual (taken under tongue). And, the stomach can still absorb some. I'm betting you and others like yourself just have better absorption there. Definitely better than me as even taking it daily under my tongue, I was still low.

My levels were way high. I was taking sublinguals and occasional 5 hour energys which are loaded with 12. They told me having very high levels do not cause harm but I'm wasting money.

I assumed that I am ok, you are saying that I need to continue monitoring it?

Annual or biannual requisite lab work from your provider should include B12 levels.....so no worries until your blood work or symptoms tell you otherwise gmanbat.