Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters

black butterfly congrats and welcome

beversman I feel for you about the bill

I was lucky to have insurance pay but I know it is expensive

Hi December Crew, warning this is a long one !!!!:welldone2:

So I had my surgery on Dec 11th (Monday) and it took me a while to feel up to posting my progress, but today I'm starting to feel human again. So here's how things went for me, for anyone who has their surgery coming up and is interested in way too many details :biggrin1: .

Pre op, I came to the hospital about an hour before surgery. Got the fun hospital gown, sat around for a long time getting and IV and waiting. They gave me a patch to put behind my ear for nausea (scopolomine patch - this was a good thing:speechles and I had to ask for it ) Then all the sudden everything started speeding up and I was on my way before I knew it. Which was weird after sitting around doing nothing for an hour. They had me run to the bathroom (they needed my bladder empty because I asked not to have a urinary catheter because I get urine infections), which looked really stupid as I tried to hold my gown closed, carry my iv bag and try to keep my big floppy boobs from showing to the whole preop area on the way to the loo, they also had me put on mesh underwear with a pad (because I was on my period) And glad to be, honestly, because at least the mesh gave me some kind of privacy :bandit

Then the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room. I was in an out of sleep and they gave me a morphine pump to click when I needed it. They gave me nausea medicine. I really don't remember much. Then I was in my room and the whole night is a blur, I slept and pressed the morphine button and only was uncomfortable when I had to get out of bed to the bathroom. The morphine made me very dizzy so it was hard to stay balanced. I had swabs of ice Water to put in my mouth since it was incredibly dry. I didn't have much of a sore throat or anything from the intubation.

Then the next morning after surgery I went for a swallow test, where they made me stand in front of an xray machine and swallow different things that tasted horrible. Big gulps too, which I found odd, since I hadn't even been allowed to drink anything yet. But all went down fine and the study looked normal. I went back to my room and sat around for a long time. The surgeon came and looked at my incisions, told me I could go home in three to four hours after having Water, broth and Protein drink (at least an hour to drink each) So those went down fine and I left around 8pm. They gave me roxicet for pain at home, which is liquid oxycodone (yikes - powerful stuff). I walked out to the car, which I probably shouldn't have. I was very very lightheaded and fuzzy from the morphine. My family took me home and I had someone stay with me just in case, although I didn't need it.

The first night I was able to sleep in bed, but had to prop myself way up. Turining to the side made it feel like my guts were squeezing out of my belly. So I didn't sleep all that well since I never sleep on my back. But if I laid still I had no pain or discomfort.

The next morning I took the first look at my incisions and I was shocked. I have SEVEN. Five of them are very small dots, just one little steri-strip over them, no big deal. But two of them are quite large and they scared me. There is one about two inches long to the left of my belly button (for my port), its longer than I thought, very bruised, and the skin around it is totally numb. Then one about an inch long above that one, also with bruising and also with numbness around it. Im guessing they cut a nerve. The bruising is a little shocking to see, but I'm sure it will go down.

So the first day was the hardest. I didn't have any of the really bad gas pains I hear about. I just felt like my stomach was a beach ball and really distended. Burping felt weird, but relieved a lot of discomfort. I also had a lot of discomfort getting up from chairs, which took a lot of work. I was able to keep things down and drink 8oz per hour without a problem. Didn't have any feelings of fullness when drinking.

Yesterday, more of the same. I've been changing the dressing on my big incisions every morning, they don't have strips over them so I tape gauze over just to keep them clean, and also because looking at them so bruised freaks me out! Still had no gas pain, just the bloated belly feeling and thinking my guts were going to fall out when I stood up. Especially in the morning. I tried to take a very short walk around my apartment building, but I was really weak afterwards. I do walk around my apartment which has helped with gas. I usually burp after walking around a bit. Slept better last night, but I still keep trying to roll over which is very painful.

Today has been much better, less distended. Finally felt "full" after a serving of ricotta chesse melted down with Tomato sauce like a Soup. I was starting to get worried that I hadn't had a "full" feeling yet. I still feel bloated, but have finally started going to the bathroom! I'm having a lot of diarrhea but I hear this is normal. Aren't you glad I shared:o

So thus far, things have gone pretty well. The only bummer is that after five days of this, I HAVENT LOST ANY WEIGHT!!!! I was up four or five pounds the day after surgery, that has come back off. But this morning I am right where I was pre op. I know that this time is not for weight loss, and that I have to give it time. I had a lot of fluids in surgery, I'm bloated, etc. But its still a bummer given that I'm having 6-800 calories a day! I know it will come off with time, I'm just looking forward to saying goodbye to some LBS forever!!!!

OK, so that was a very long story. But I know that preop, I wanted to know every single detail of what to expect, so I hope that helps someone.

Good luck! :clap2:

Laphappy, thanks for the detailed surgery report! I appreciate you sharing your experience with all of us! Congrats on your beginning on this wonderful adventure! I can't wait to join you!

Hi steph.....I am feeling much better, everyday seems a little easier, but I had a horrific headache yesterday. I got to start mushies to day and I think that is really helping my energy level! I was so darned excited last night thinking I could have oatmeal in the morning I had a hard time sleeping!!!!! I have had like a weird feeling after I have eaten food that need to be chewed like it is a ball sitting in my chest, not for very long....it goes away.....but a little uncomfortable.....maybe not chewing enough.....let me know how you do when you start food! Takes me a little while to respond sometimes....Time thing but I will try to check in more often! Take care

Hi All -

I'm home and feel like I got hit by a truck. I just took my pain meds (I don't know how some of you are managing without it) and i'm going to bed. I have very little energy, and I feel sore all in my belly. I'm hoping to feel "normal" by Sunday.

My surgeon put some Fluid in my band already. I don't know how much though.

Nat

Laphappy-thanks so much for all your info! I really appreciate the details since I do want to know it all! I am glad to hear you are doing well. I bet there is still a lot of Fluid in you and those lbs will be coming off in no time. I am going to try to stay off the scale for the first week or so since I am a weigh-in obsessor (I weigh every morning and sometimes more than once-bad!). I also liked the Ricotta and sauce idea-making a mental not of that one! BTW, where did you have your surgery?

((Nathalie))) I am so sorry you feel lousy. Get some rest and I am sure you will be back here marveling us with your funny sense of humor in no time. Take this time to relax and we will be here when you are ready. I am relieved to see that you posted since I have been thinking of you non stop!

I have 2 more days-I am freaking out a bit. I can't seem to stop thinking about it! I still feel like there is so much to get done before this day comes!!!!!!!!!!

~kay

dawne, from what ive read on here... just make sure you are taking "very small" bites... people suggest using baby utensils to eat for awhile... So, "small" is REALLY small... sounds like you doing really well :-)

Nat!! You are gonne feel crappy for a few days baby girl :phanvan Hopefully (again) only from all the people Ive talked ot here... this type of surgery allows you to start feeling alot better alot faster than any other type. I hope in a couple of days you are feelin' better .

Kay -- make sure you get some sleep this weekend. I know, if I were you, I'd be bouncing off the walls. Only a couple more days :-) and you will be starting new.

hiya all

im a bandster whoo hoo,was banded yesterday at 11 oo am and i am brilliant ,have gassy pain which caused a few tears in the evening,but apart from that im doing great !!!:clap2: my incisions look neat i had no nausea very little pain (gets a little stiff when been in one position but as soon as i move im fine again....)

im just soooo happy and it was so much easier than expected so work starts now:biggrin1:

ok only problem i do have is i have only slept for two hours since im hyper

and so excited that its over ,i feel so positive about whole thing .

good luck for those still waiting .

267/267/168

Mystique - good to have you back - sounds like you are doing good!

Nat - hang in there girl - it WILL get better and fast - you'll be amazed at how fast you're feeling better. I just told dh last night that I can't beleive that as horrible as I felt on Monday evening that I would feel this good already. He thinks its the anthesia - maybe.

Dawn - I can't wait to get to mushies - but I'm not allowed until the 26th. I heard too that you just need to take baby bites, I think its the air going in too. I know I can only eat about a 1/4 cup of cream of wheat (thinned) and I get that feeling and then the other thing is eating slow - which might be about the air going in and then it passes. It was good to hear from you.

Kay - thinking of you and I can not believe that its already been a week since I was were you are. I was so excited I was bouncing off the walls!

Laphappy - your experience sounded pretty much like mine. I think I bounce back alittle faster - I went to work thurs for a bit and did some errands then yesterday I went christmas shopping for most of the day. I felt good exept for my knee (broken knee is almost healed). I know I read alot of the posts in the thread about when did you go back to work and everyone is different.

Bevers - hey girl are you feeling better yet? If you can rest do it.

Ok so hears a loud shout out to Kari who started this thread (I went to the first page and noticed her first post) Kari where are you? You were to be banded the day after me and I'm wondering how you're doing? Let us know.

I'm off to bake more Christmas Cookies - pure torture. So hard not to taste! Last night my sister in law brought down some homemade haluski (cabbage and noodles) and I took a bite, chewed it up and spit it out! TWICE!!! I want the taste but scared to chance it.

Well I am banded!!!!!!!!! Sorry I havent updated or been on here much, my sil came into town to take care of me and my kids for the week so I been spending time with her. She had rou-n-y 7 mo. ago and looks fantastic! I am so proud of her.

Here is my surgery story--

Went to hospital at 530 am found out my surgeon was doing an emergency OR case. (he does more than baratric surg) and my dh and mom waited with me until 0800 I kissed my hubby and next thing I know I am waking up with a fair amount of belly pain in the recovery room. I got pain meds (alot) and was taken to my hospital room. I was so sleepy all day I couldnt hardly stay awake to even drink, so I didnt drink much, but I had my IV still in so I was well hydrated. I have 5 small incisions. I had alot of port pain where they stitched it into the muscle and that remains tender still 4 days post op. But it is tolerable and better every day. I really didnt drink too much for the first 2 days except Water, but now I am drinking Protein shakes, I ate cottage cheese, refried Beans, and yogurt so far. Today is the first day I have an appetite at all, but I am taking it easy. I had alot of gas pains and bloating. I was constipated, but my Dr told me to get some Benefiber and that has helped alot. My kids both came down with upper resp infections and I came down with it Thursday 2 days post op. So I am trying to fight that off and the coughing is very painful. In all it hasnt been too bad though. I only took pain meds once yesterday and none so far today. I have lost 6 lbs since Tuesday. I total of 12 since my high. I am happy so far. Good luck to all of you and I will be on here when I can!!! Jill

Hi, I was banded Dec. 8. I was open-banded because my band of one year had slipped and had to be removed. One week post op I am very sore and hungry. Be thankful if your band is done laproscopically as was my 1st time. I pray every day that this second out-of-pocket surgery will last. My Taurus only goes 55 mph because the transmission is going bad. Please, Lord, help me to get this money (loaned) paid back. Best of luck to all Dec. bandsters. My surgery was done in Oxford, MS, by the way.

hello all I hope everyone is doing ok. Laphappy thanks for your story. I couldn't type that much in the begining after my surgry. That is why this chat place is so great, what one of us can't do others can. I am worried because I am getting hungry more often than I did in the begining. I won't go for a fill until Jan 7. I am also having a problem with my meds. I take about 7 and 3 are capsules that are kind of big, I tried to take them slow and give each time to pass thru but some times I have thrown up after the capsule opens. I tried to breck them down in applesauce but they are so foul I threw up. I guess its time to talk to my Dr. and see if we can do something to make this easier. I am eating food and it doesn't bother me if I don't eat too much. I did eat to fast and that was a lesson well learned it won't happen again.LOL My incisions are itching and all my steri strips are gone and the scares don't look bad at all. I had a party last night for some friends and had chili everyone else brought sweets and I did ok. They were all amazed that I had such a small serving but I was full and felt great. This was the first time I have eaten in front of people and not worried if they were watching and thinking "Gosh look at all the food she eats no wonder she is so big." It was a good feeling. Has anyone else ever felt like that? Well I am just rambling so I had better go. Hope all keep doing well. Love you folks!!!!

NAt- hang in there, Girl! You will be feeling so much better in no time at all! Mystique- sounds like you are doing wonderful! Jill- congrats on yourr banding also! Just think it won't be long before your sister-in-law will be talking about how great you look! Thanks for keeping us updated! Ddee- welcome to the group- even though I don't post that often I have gained so much knowledge from this group! I am in MS also and am having my surgery with Dr. King in Oxford- was that your surgeon? I would love to hear your opinions/details of the experience there. How long were you in the hospital? I am self-pay also- really hate it! I look forward to learning the details from you since I will have the surgery at the same location (and probably the same MD). I hope everyone is having a great day! For those of you that are struggling with the liquid diets- me included- just try to remember that we can do anything for a short period of time and that this won't last forever! Have a great weekend, Y'all!

Just got off the treadmill and feel much better. That's my 2nd time for 10 min. today. I'm trying to work up to 30 min. How long does it take for walking to become addictive? I so want to do two things differently this time. Walking and drinking Water. I don't know which is harder for me, but I do know it's inspiring to hear things that make this work better from people going through the same thing instead of a skinny-a** nurse or doctor. Didn't mention that my husband brought home a choc. shake for me. He was on his way home from a day at the golf course and wanted to treat me since I've been closed up for a week post op. He said he knew that I was supposed to start "creamed" foods today. I just didn't have the heart to tell him that meant creamed Soups. LOL